The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: northern wisconsin reports  (Read 81969 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: northern wisconsin reports
« Reply #210 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Took this picture yesterday. I heard this morning people were out on the ice fishing today. Low temp almost hit zero Monday night. A few nights now in single digits.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:34 AM »
This might be a shot in the dark but is anybody familiar with the prentice/Phillips area? I am headed up for the 9 day Gun hunt and already have a freezer full of veni. I have all my ice gear packed and was hoping to chase some pike or walleyes on tip ups or jig up some pannies. If anyone had any tips for that particular area I would be happy to trade any info I get on the winnebago chain or any way I can pay it forward. Good luck in the woods and on the ice fellas!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #212 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:07 AM »
This might be a shot in the dark but is anybody familiar with the prentice/Phillips area? I am headed up for the 9 day Gun hunt and already have a freezer full of veni. I have all my ice gear packed and was hoping to chase some pike or walleyes on tip ups or jig up some pannies. If anyone had any tips for that particular area I would be happy to trade any info I get on the winnebago chain or any way I can pay it forward. Good luck in the woods and on the ice fellas!

well, luckily for you the phillips chain likes to freeze up quick. But all my walleye spots there are close to culerts and moving water. might be a bit early for that. But im sure you will see the crappie army from hwy 13 downtown. hell, they probably already have ice shacks out there

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Thanks Matt! I have seen a couple guys Years past in the middle of town in Phillips. Just never had the stones to walk that far out on unfamiliar water. I stopped at the custom rod and bait shop but it didn't seem like those guys wanted the liability of giving me early ice spots that might be sketchy. I have tip up fished I can't remember the road but it is a right hand turn after you have gone through Phillips coming from prentice. There are some pull off gravel areas and steep banks down to the lake duroy? maybe? Anyway do you know of any spots or this an ok spot to soak some baits for pike early?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #214 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Thanks Matt! I have seen a couple guys Years past in the middle of town in Phillips. Just never had the stones to walk that far out on unfamiliar water. I stopped at the custom rod and bait shop but it didn't seem like those guys wanted the liability of giving me early ice spots that might be sketchy. I have tip up fished I can't remember the road but it is a right hand turn after you have gone through Phillips coming from prentice. There are some pull off gravel areas and steep banks down to the lake duroy? maybe? Anyway do you know of any spots or this an ok spot to soak some baits for pike early?

You can't really blame Marc at Elk River for not wanting to send folks out on thin ice.  He's a good guy and would give you the info if he had it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #215 on: Nov 18, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Drove through Phillips today. Everything was froze over but leaking pretty good (as in very wet) at the cracks. That's just an observation from the highway, didn't walk on. Lots of moving water locked up too. Wisconsin and Flambeau were open in the middle but plenty of ice on the edges. Everything smaller was 100% ice covered.

I plan to be in the Eagle River St. Germain area right after Thanksgiving and will have a more comprehensive report then.

Be safe all!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:48 AM »
If you go to phillips, look for cranberry lake. some of the local may hate me for suggesting that but its loaded with pike. some nice eyes and plenty of little panfish as well. can walk off the small boat landing.

Its a smaller lake so should of been locked up sooner than most.

btw was on Butternut lake (  north end ) yesterday, had a real solid 4'' of clear ice. Probably the best first ice ive ever seen. Fishing sucked but was nice to get out. Might run over to the chippewa flowage today to try and find some safe ice to toss some tip ups in.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #217 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:44 AM »
If you go to phillips, look for cranberry lake. some of the local may hate me for suggesting that but its loaded with pike. some nice eyes and plenty of little panfish as well. can walk off the small boat landing.

Its a smaller lake so should of been locked up sooner than most.

btw was on Butternut lake (  north end ) yesterday, had a real solid 4'' of clear ice. Probably the best first ice ive ever seen. Fishing sucked but was nice to get out. Might run over to the chippewa flowage today to try and find some safe ice to toss some tip ups in.

Thanks for the tip Matt! I like pike to eat. 24 - 30" is just right. Toss in a 40 to C&R now and again and that could be heaven.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #218 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for the tip Matt! I like pike to eat. 24 - 30" is just right. Toss in a 40 now and again and that could be heaven.

I say the same thing about Musky. Mmmmmmmm, those Musky nuggets are amazing!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #219 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:18 AM »
I say the same thing about Musky. Mmmmmmmm, those Musky nuggets are amazing!

I ate a few back in the day. Some folks go crazy if you tell 'em that today. Hmmmm, you're quite the little potstirrer 52  >:D :roflmao: I'm making a note of that  :o

I did actually threaten my mom that if she killed anymore I was taking away the baby Jackpot. She took a half dozen or so 40"+  right off their dock.

But yes, tasty  ;)2

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #220 on: Nov 19, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I ate a few back in the day. Some folks go crazy if you tell 'em that today. Hmmmm, you're quite the little potstirrer 52  >:D :roflmao: I'm making a note of that  :o

I did actually threaten my mom that if she killed anymore I was taking away the baby Jackpot. She took a half dozen or so 40"+  right off their dock.

But yes, tasty  ;)2

I don't know if you've ever been to Musky Day in Boulder Junction, but they used to have Musky nuggets. Tasted like absolute poo.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #221 on: Nov 19, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Never been to Boulder for that. Someone must not be doing something right.

Cut 'em into small lobster sized chunks, a quick poach in seafood boil and finish with a brush of butter and a sprinkle of paprika (to complete the lobster illusion) under the broiler. Best poorman's lobster you'll ever eat. Deep fried in my "special" fish dust is runner up. I haven't done either one with musky in decades.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #222 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I saw a 1,000 acre lake all frozen up this morning. I wouldn't walk on it yet, but a very good sign. I bet some small bays around here have 5" by now. I heard on the radio yesterday a station out of MN said this November could go down as the coldest November on record.

Offline sckoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #223 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:25 AM »
If it’s the 1000 acre lake I think it is, Nov. 19 is the second earliest ice up date recorded (Nov. 15, 1995 was the earliest).  Now if we can just keep the snow away for a couple weeks!

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Thanks Matt for the tip. I have had no luck up here with the deer. My dad saw the first deer(a doe) at dark yesterday evening. That's three guys, six hunts to see one deer!

I will be fishing either cranberry lake for pike and gills  or duroy for crappie this afternoon. I will report back next time I have reception. Tight lines fellas.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #225 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:13 PM »
If it’s the 1000 acre lake I think it is, Nov. 19 is the second earliest ice up date recorded (Nov. 15, 1995 was the earliest).  Now if we can just keep the snow away for a couple weeks!

It is the earliest I can remember in a long long time, yes it is Sand lake I drive past it every morning.

Online bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I got on some ice last weekend in Central WI around Necedah, had about 3in of good clear ice where I was (only 4ft of water where I was too). Fishing was very slow but still good to be on ice

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Cherokee is fishable in madison

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #228 on: Nov 24, 2018, 10:49 AM »
my many travels i have seen ppl out on upper turtle lake and another spot in barron didnt have time to stop and check thickness but they were out

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #229 on: Nov 24, 2018, 11:53 AM »
been in the 40s for a day and a half up here. Raining today, then mixing/turning to snow. Most of the snow has melted from the yard. lakes might turn sh*tty for a day or 2 until we get a few single digit temps to really lock things up again. still should have a good 2-4'' in most bays/basins.

ugh so close to 500 posts...   

Offline deerlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Nov 25, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Was able to get out this afternoon in the price & oneida county area. The rains the past day or two have hardened up. As long as there was solid ice before the rain, they should be solid now. As always, use caution and your gut instincts. As for fishing, went to a reliable numbers spot for a confidence boost and testing new equipment to start the hardwater season. Caught quite a bit of pan fish. Few nice ones, but all of them went back down the hole. Great to be back out there!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #231 on: Nov 26, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I'm on Rangeline @ Three Lakes today. Got 5" of solid ice shore to shore. Not big or really deep (125A/28') but the corner where the cranberry marshes drain in are solid too. That is generally last to freeze.

First flag, drive-by... Maybe she'll come back for a bite  ;D

Offline 92jag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Any suggestions for pan fish/northern lakes in the Lincoln and oneida county area.
I usually fish  the wisconsin near council grounds. Not enough ice there yet.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Fished duroy lake/price county during gun deer and managed my 10 crappie limit. Had 3.5"

Fished cranberry lake/ price county during gun deer. Managed a hill and a perch. Put the perch on a board and had a flag. Ran and dropped. Didn't feel safe enough to venture beyond the bay the launch is on.

Fished lake Alice/Lincoln county yesterday. Close to 5" of ice. Buddy iced an 18" walleye and I had a short at first light. 3 guys managed 35 or so crappie and gills.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #234 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:37 AM »
I fished the Chippewa flowage on Thanksgiving day had 4" solid ice.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #235 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:36 PM »
I drove past 2 of our big lakes today at lunch time a 3,000 and 5,000 acre lakes both frozen over as far as the eye could see. These lakes sometimes don't freeze over until almost Christmas. For November this is great!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #236 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Fished another small lake yesterday, 7.5" shore to shore. Got me a coupla gills and a pike on a tipup. Had another snot rocket slide in and inhale my tungsten jig. No, 2# test does not hold up to sharp teeth for barely a millisecond. Cost me the jig but the bend in the rod was something to see. Never had a chance.

Checked out some of the bigger water and they're still a little wet at the cracks but pretty much iced over (Catfish, Eagle and Yellow Birch @ Eagle river). Narrow stretches with current are still open but, really, it's early. The forecast bodes well for lotsa ice and minimal slush!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Fished Big Eau Pleine/marathon yesterday for the first time. Was on 6” of good ice. People taking wheelers out already. Managed a limit including a 19. Should’ve come earlier so I had time to fish crappie.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I drove past 2 of our big lakes today at lunch time a 3,000 and 5,000 acre lakes both frozen over as far as the eye could see. These lakes sometimes don't freeze over until almost Christmas. For November this is great!!
same around here, but 2 of the lakes reopened  but since refroze, we got about 5" in the sheltered bays, but the rest of the lake is very sketchy.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Went back to the same spot tonight. Fishing much slower but still managed 2 keepers and a 21” slot fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.