Author Topic: Deadsticking perch with maggots  (Read 1441 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Deadsticking perch with maggots
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:36 AM »
I can't use live minnows In most of the lakes I fish and the main forage base is insect life anyways. I want to find a better way to deadstick for perch then just with a bobber rig cause its not very effective for me at all, they just peck at the bait. I heard from a guy on here that a small treble hook works really well and that they tend to hook themselves a lot of times but wanted to get other ideas cause I think they woukd swallow the treble pretty well a lot of the times but I dunno. I won't get another chance to try out ideas before a tournament coming up and we have to keep the perch alive for weigh in so I don't want them hooked deeply if I can avoid it with a deadstick. Thanks for the advice
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Deadsticking perch with maggots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Worms (I prefer dillies, which are small crawlers) when jigging.
break 'em in half, and jig away.

Usually takes a few fish to tear it off the hook, so you can catch a few before having to re-bait the hook.

Added plus is that worms are a multi-species bait, so other fish will take the offering if they are hungry enough.

I jig for sunfish and perch, and have gotten crappie, bass, pickerel, trout and even a catfish.

I have used wax worms before, and they are productive, but get torn off the hook pretty easily.
I can see maggots being quite similar.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Bobber could be the problem causing some resistance... ...trying a spring bobber may be a solution w/o a float . I use a lot of tip downs w/success...gives a lot of play w/o resistance. . Are you using a dead stick next to you ..or are you spreading them out ..like tip ups?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/grayden-outdoor-portable-multi-flex-rod-holders?a=488394

I use the above in my shelter ...allows for some movement for those light bitters .

You could also use a scented Gulp bait threaded on a hook..then your maggots .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Could also use those strike indicator bells that clip onto the rod.
I use them when dead sticking multiple rods.
The only drawback is that they may not sound off if you are getting very light bites, but if a fish does a "chew and screw" you will hear it.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Bobber could be the problem causing some resistance... ...trying a spring bobber may be a solution w/o a float . I use a lot of tip downs w/success...gives a lot of play w/o resistance. . Are you using a dead stick next to you ..or are you spreading them out ..like tip ups?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/grayden-outdoor-portable-multi-flex-rod-holders?a=488394

I use the above in my shelter ...allows for some movement for those light bitters .

You could also use a scented Gulp bait threaded on a hook..then your maggots .

They are in a rod holder right next to me. I have jaw jackers if I'm spreading them out

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:55 PM »
They are in a rod holder right next to me. I have jaw jackers if I'm spreading them out

Those foam type bobbers might be the ticket ...less resistance
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Those foam type bobbers might be the ticket ...less resistance

That's what I'm currently using had have them trimmed so they are barley sticking above the water, very little resistance. Normally I love the foam Bobbers but for perch most days it doesn't seem to work well

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:36 PM »
That's what I'm currently using had have them trimmed so they are barley sticking above the water, very little resistance. Normally I love the foam Bobbers but for perch most days it doesn't seem to work well

If your in Perch/Crappie waters cant beat a tip down....a red tru-turn style hook ...lil split shot...I add a string style bobber stop for remembering depth ...I use minnows but maggies or waxies will work. Could work in a Flip over or hub.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sure-strike-tip-down/0000000060989

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.