The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: anyone fishing this weekend  (Read 1920 times)

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
anyone fishing this weekend
« on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:21 PM »
J ust wondering if anyone wants to meet up and go fishing ? I live in Lehighton and would drive .I personally would prefer going after panfish  but if you had any other ideas Iwould definately be in .The lakes I have been fishing the action has been slow so any new water would be great. Ice fishing is fun but fishing by yourself all the time gets old. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: anyone fishing this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2009, 01:07 PM »
J ust wondering if anyone wants to meet up and go fishing ? I live in Lehighton and would drive .I personally would prefer going after panfish  but if you had any other ideas Iwould definately be in .The lakes I have been fishing the action has been slow so any new water would be great. Ice fishing is fun but fishing by yourself all the time gets old. 
id fish with you ss lehighton a little far from pittsburgh you did say youll drive lol   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Does the bears up north like to eat 'SALMON'?! :laugh:

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:28 PM »
What day did you have in mind ?? & where ?? Have you ever been to Ontelaunni ?? I will be fishing there at times this week end . There alot of blue gills.But they are tiny. Nice crappies usually bite in the late afternoon/evening.As most places there are perch to be caught if you can find them. I wouldn't have to drive far.You about an hour or so.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:53 AM »
capt crappie  I haven't fished Ontelaunee in a few years. Are you fishing the main lake or the cove. How much ice is out there and if you fish Peters Cove where is the best place to park?

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:40 AM »
At this point peters cove has the only safe ice that I know of. Other parts may be safe but I haven't been on them. Since the big thaw.As far as parking for peters cove on the weekend park any where you can even parking in the grass is allowed . I am sure there will be alot of people out this weekend. You don't have to look hard for the cars. Living in Lehighton do you ever go to beltsville.You are only a hop,skip & a jump from there.I would love to go there some time.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:24 PM »
At this point peters cove has the only safe ice that I know of. Other parts may be safe but I haven't been on them. Since the big thaw.As far as parking for peters cove on the weekend park any where you can even parking in the grass is allowed . I am sure there will be alot of people out this weekend. You don't have to look hard for the cars. Living in Lehighton do you ever go to beltsville.You are only a hop,skip & a jump from there.I would love to go there some time.
CAPT I have fished Beltsville quite a few times .Most of my catches there are small gills. I really don;t  want to set up tipups for pickeral , I am just looking for a decent lake for panfish perch or bluegills .I don't mind using tipups but most of my catches on Beltsville are pickeral.DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:31 PM »
CAPT I have fished Beltsville quite a few times .Most of my catches there are small gills. I really don;t  want to set up tipups for pickeral , I am just looking for a decent lake for panfish perch or bluegills .I don't mind using tipups but most of my catches on Beltsville are pickeral.DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.

Mauch Chunk Lake is practically in your back yard... has it been off this year, or are you just looking for better options?

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Mauch Chunk Lake is practically in your back yard... has it been off this year, or are you just looking for better options?
Dizzy thanks for the imput. I have fished the chunk and have done really well there with tipups ; bass and pickeral ; however i prefer to jig and the pan fishing there has been slow . Maybe I am not fishing the right area .  I have a hard time staying on the ice if all Ican catch are dinks.  What do you guys consider a good size for panfish? I don;t expect to fill a bucket every time I go fishing but a few nice ones every once in a while would be nice.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:51 PM »
I have never ice-fished the Chunk, but have seen many reports (including an expired article on ESPN Outdoors) noting the cove to the east of launch B as a good area for pannies... it mentioned a straight line off the point heading east... 7-10 FOW. Never tested it personally though.

When I'm "keepin a few"... perch gotta be over 10-11", gills over 8.5-9", crappies over 10.5-11"... these are estimates only (holding my hands out in front of me)... I don't actually measure them, it's more of a feel thing.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:47 PM »
There are some nice pannies to be caught at leaser lake yet. I don't know how the ice is .This will be the last year for this lake until it re-opens 5 to 10 years. My friend caught  several 14 1/2" perch & 12" crappies  2 weekends ago. the shallow water end.I saw the fish they were all nice . My brother & his son went the next day & caught the skunk ??? .There are alot of fish left in there. including blue gills. You can keep any thing because they are draining the lake. no size limit or creel limit.What you don't keep will be maggot food. When I was there I kept everything small pickeral ,bass , even the dinks .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.