The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First ice  (Read 6220 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First ice
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2022, 07:53 PM »
SMALL PONDS ARE LOCKED AROUND ME BUT THE ONLY THING THAT IS GOING TO KILL IT IS IF WE GET THE SNOW BEFORE CHRISTMAS THAT THEY ARE PREDICTING

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:21 PM »
Won’t be long....Santa is bringing cold weather with him. Around Christmas or shortly after if all goes well.

Be safe! Early ice (all ice) can be unpredictable... spud, spud spud.

Offline Smalllevel52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 21, 2022, 12:44 AM »
Yep! He likes to post on YouTube and declare himself the first person icefishing in Pa for the season.  ::)

I noticed all our local ponds were capped but didn’t bother to measure as there was probably only 1/2” to 3/4” at most. And getting into the 40’s the rest of the week with rain on Friday will not improve things.

I’ll wait til there’s a good 4” before I go out on it!

He posted it on Facebook too. That's where I saw it. I knew the guy was nuts being out there as I knew there was no safe ice worth going on anywhere in pa.
But don't worry he plays that game long enough sooner or later it's gunna bite him in butt

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:30 AM »
SMALL PONDS ARE LOCKED AROUND ME BUT THE ONLY THING THAT IS GOING TO KILL IT IS IF WE GET THE SNOW BEFORE CHRISTMAS THAT THEY ARE PREDICTING

That storm is supposed to be mostly rain now, so the lakes that don’t get much run off should be OK.

Unfortunately I got a call last Tuesday that my mom had fallen and broke her femur- so I spent the last week with her in the hospital. I did check a popular lake in the Poconos on the way home and found 4-6” of cloudy ice. (And some open areas of water)- was VERY variable where I measured from spot to spot)

I don’t want to give a report because this was at 10:30 at night so couldn’t really get any pics and I could only see as far as my headlamp was shining. But there were some old holes so somebody was fishing there.

If there is enough light when I get home I will check and maybe fish our local lake which is usually a couple inches behind the colder lakes in the area.

Also saw guys are fishing Tobyhanna this week- a buddy sent me a pic off FB.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:32 AM »
He posted it on Facebook too. That's where I saw it. I knew the guy was nuts being out there as I knew there was no safe ice worth going on anywhere in pa.
But don't worry he plays that game long enough sooner or later it's gunna bite him in butt

Yeah, I hope not, but probably will!  ::)

Just hope when/if it happens he’s not in water over his head! 😬
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceMAnDave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:48 PM »
I will be out tomorrow before the rain. checked my early ice spot and was surprised to find 5in everywhere! Small little swamp pond in an industrial park it will be nice just to be out cause might be till mid January to I could get back out

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2022, 11:36 AM »
That storm is supposed to be mostly rain now, so the lakes that don’t get much run off should be OK.

Unfortunately I got a call last Tuesday that my mom had fallen and broke her femur- so I spent the last week with her in the hospital. I did check a popular lake in the Poconos on the way home and found 4-6” of cloudy ice. (And some open areas of water)- was VERY variable where I measured from spot to spot)

I don’t want to give a report because this was at 10:30 at night so couldn’t really get any pics and I could only see as far as my headlamp was shining. But there were some old holes so somebody was fishing there.

If there is enough light when I get home I will check and maybe fish our local lake which is usually a couple inches behind the colder lakes in the area.

Also saw guys are fishing Tobyhanna this week- a buddy sent me a pic off FB.

Sorry to hear that RuttNutt, hope she is ok.  I was thinking about driving up to Toby to scratch the itch early next week. Catch a few slime rockets.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2022, 05:22 PM »
THANKS! She’s doing better.........in rehab now.

Toby should be good. Somebody was fishing there last weekend.............ha ve fun! 😎
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.