The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Holman Lake  (Read 10191 times)

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Holman Lake
« on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:07 AM »
Can anyone answer the ? as to where the heck all the fish are going since they have drained it down? They have also told me at the park office it is safe to assume there will be no ice fishing this year on LB? Mother nature is to fill it back up? Not sure if any of you are aware of this but just thought i would bring it to you all for some feedback?
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: Holman Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2006, 10:00 AM »
Where the heck are all the fish!!!!! Bean and I were down the other sunday for about 3 hours and caught around 100 fish btwn us. We didn't get any big crappies but sure did get some nice gills. As far as the ice goes, I would think less water may make it freeze a little quicker but I could be way off in my thinking there.
         Jim

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2006, 10:16 AM »
They have also told me at the park office it is safe to assume there will be no ice fishing this year on LB? Mother nature is to fill it back up? Not sure if any of you are aware of this but just thought i would bring it to you all for some feedback?

I just called and talked to a lady in the park office. I specifically asked about ice fishing and she did not mention anything about there going to be a ban on icefishing even if the lake was still drawn down. She said it would be nearly impossible to launch a boat now because of all the muck, but could possibly wade thru it to launch a canoe or float tube. My one friend knows the park ranger there pretty good, and I'll have him talk to him in the next few weeks. If I hear about any ban on ice fishing there, I'll be sure to post it, but for right now it sounds like its still going to be open for ice fishing.
The reason for the draw down was a repair a small leak at the dam. They are not sure when the repair will take place as of yet. They are also on the list to have the west shallow end dredged out, but right now monies haven't been appropriated for it.
Ken                                          

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Sounds like shades of Leaser Lake to me. On the subject of ice fishing potential, is Sweet Arrow open for business this winter?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2006, 03:15 PM »
On the subject of ice fishing potential, is Sweet Arrow open for business this winter?

Yes. I was told ice fishing is allowed. They will be stocking some trout in there within the next month also.
Ken                                          

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Hey Bean,

I'm pretty sure I talked to the same lady today, and she told me that the lake would not be open to ice fishing unless normal levels first ??? ??? I am on pretty good terms with the park naturalist and he is a very avid ice fisherman, unfortunately he is on vacation this week, but I'll be in touch with him next week and see what he has to say.
Sounds like a lack of communication within the park.

Also was told by the Fish Commission that SA is producing some huge crappie and perch.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Byron, then she must have been talking out of both sides of her mouth.  Opossum is drawn down also and I icefished over there last year. I'm not too worried, personally.
Ken                                          

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Thanks for the info guys; hoping to get up there this year (SA). Just wish there was a direct route from the Southeast!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:04 PM »
where is this lake located?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2006, 09:15 PM »
where is this lake located?

Holman lake is about 25 miles northwest of Harrisburg.  About 3 miles west of Newport, PA.
Ken                                          

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2006, 03:07 PM »
thanx

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Capital area reporting in >  Sweet Arrow has "some" new structure added and plans for the next drawdown (for dock rebuilding and adding structure NOT dam repair) is on hold as of last week according to the Park Supv. ...   Holman Lake  ( reached by taking Rt. 322/22 to Newport Exit,  Perry County and going into Newport and follow signs to Little Buffalo State Park and thats about 5 miles from 322/22.exit )  Pinchot,Memorial & Opossum lake allowed Ice fishing under the draw down. Memorial banned boats at draw down, but the other lakes were at own risk. Unless the lake is flowing heavy out the gate and ice is less than 4" > It will be open I'm sure thow I'm not Ranger Rick . Sweet Arrow came up short for $ and now I'm wondering if Holman will draw short of $ for dredgeing. If they do dredge then I would say its the last 5th of the west end or they will have to move dozens of structures. What muck it is. No creek channel near the dock #2  and the channel at the neck is thick mud. Because of the weeds > many people had great bass action in this 1-4 ft. water that was weed chocked. If they dredge > you stand to loose a good holding area. This lake is already diverse.  This draw-down really hurt the old ice map info they have for free ,from 1980 or so. Any one Know of Hawks or Riverfront camp grounds? they will be the ones who will carry my structure map of Holman in December. If your looking for my web site e-mail me and I'll send it.

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Anyone visit the lake today? Nice fish jumping! I saw a few taking pictures of the lake in the AM.  Only 3 people fishing ! This is the time to go get them!  The boat ramp stops 30" before the water line and the docks are high and dry. Water is at -10 ft.and warming back up.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Yup, I was there this evening, caught about 20 stockies in the two hours or so I was fishing, the warm up had them hiting hard. Could'nt locate the panfish I was looking for.

I was told today that they thought the dam was fixed last week and they started to fill it back up, only to find out that it still needed work. So they re-lowered it and re-fixed it (are those re-real words??) It will be re-inspected Monday the 13th, and if all is well, they will start re-filling it. I was told they expect it to fill at an average of two inchs a day. And without any unforseen problems, WILL be open for ice-fishing.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2006, 09:11 PM »
I e-mailed you BYRON!  Check your mail on line. 

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Surface temp from 49 deg. to 51 deg. Today

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Yup, I was there this evening, caught about 20 stockies in the two hours or so I was fishing, the warm up had them hiting hard. Could'nt locate the panfish I was looking for.

I was told today that they thought the dam was fixed last week and they started to fill it back up, only to find out that it still needed work. So they re-lowered it and re-fixed it (are those re-real words??) It will be re-inspected Monday the 13th, and if all is well, they will start re-filling it. I was told they expect it to fill at an average of two inchs a day. And without any unforseen problems, WILL be open for ice-fishing.
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:05 PM »

I was out by holman today an with this rain the water already seems like it came up a foot we dont get ice for awhile so i think everything will be alright

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:08 PM »
with all this rain holman came up about a foot today we dont get ice for awhile yet usually and the lady at the park office is telling alot of different people different things so i think we will be alright

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2006, 07:33 PM »
has anybody heard anything about holman lake lately i sure hope they let it fill up soon

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:31 PM »
It should fill up now with all this rain. :o
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2006, 08:40 PM »
FILL UP?  it should be overflowing :D

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I'll be out checking on it Saturday.

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2006, 03:29 PM »
just by today came up a good bit maybe two more foot i hope the leave it alone cant wait ice is in my blood hard core
thanks ryan

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2006, 04:14 PM »
A live report !  A long way from ICE!  Yes its up about 5 or 6 of the 10ft. that it was down 2 weeks ago. If you missed the draw-down  then don't bother but if your up to fishing it is pretty much alive.  2 boaters fishing at 2pm. The water was going out the emergency release valve and not the out flow spillway. So the lake is "NOT" being refilled yet. Park patrol boat still parked at dam meaning work still needs done. To much debri in the water as of Saturday.

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2006, 09:27 PM »
i live real close and i havent seen anyone working on it all week i go by like everyday i wish they would just get it done and let it fill up i might have to spend my time at faylor this year or oppossum

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:53 PM »
Holman is still down but now 12 ft. Skim ice on the Southern 2/3 'ds  . Diehards still fishing the little open water found. Just released the new ice fishing map today to Hawks.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:40 PM »
What a bummer 3 of the closest lakes to me have hardly any water in them.  By the way the young lady in the park office is smokin

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:47 PM »
if anyone is interested the dam is fixed but the lake is only filling up at about an inch per day so it is going to take some heavy rain or alot of time

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:32 PM »
I will have to make a trip to the park office soon!  :o
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.