The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Too little too late?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Too little too late?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:30 AM »
I don't know what forecast that is but if you look for prospect on accuweather the nights are in the single digits Thursday and Friday. Prospect is closer to the lake than butler anyway, so it might be colder there than butler which explains the difference.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:37 AM »

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:47 AM »
No not next Friday, this Thursday and Friday.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Do you think  with the wind in Prospect they call for will help if open over 20 mph gusts forthe3 days

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Once the lake caps Wednesday night the winds really won't matter. Oh well, we will see. I think there will be places you can fish this weekend. The whole lake? Hell no. But I'm sure there will be spots.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Wind will rip that skiff ice to shreds if it comes from the right direction,the shoreline will look diamond crystals. Can't see fishing till next weekend if everything goes right,winds and snow,sun daytime temps over 32  all come intro play. That lake temps went up higher this time than before and it was way cooler the last ice. Time will tell I'm betting we get back on but not as soon as you think. It just impossible to put 4" of ice by Saturday.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:18 AM »
How warm were the water temps when we had first ice in December? Surely no colder than they are right now and look how fast ice was made. We didn't even have nights in the single digits back then and it didn't take that long. As for the wind, it's supposed to be windy today.. where is the wind at? It surely isn't windy out. I forgot, you've been ice fishing for 57 years so you know everything.. So I guess you're right, there is no way for it to freeze that fast. I remember people saying the same thing in December and when people were fishing some people still wouldn't believe it. Oh well.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Yes they were fishing I will give you some different things to look at longer nights....no warm rain  and a lot of the ice people were on was under 4 ins  some was...not saying but most was not....and a lot of chances  were taken with out a swim...a lot of lucky people....just saying ....as we get the warm run off it also cuts the ice from under

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I'm not getting into a pissing contest with a teenager. It went into the 60's and rained two inches and yea the surface temps are warmer than December's first ice. 57 years on the ice got nothing to do me knowing everything but your wrong already you said Friday,Saturday,or Sunday we'll be on. With all your ice smarts, goggles how ice forms on a lake?  I basically forgot more than you'll ever learn. When you gonna turn pro,Mr ice guru. This is my last post on this subject,WHENEVER THERE'S ICE I'LL BE CATCHING FISH AS ALWAYS. This site is a fishing ice fishing site not a site to fight about stupid crap. When the ice comes it comes but it's not going to be this weekend.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Yeah because when I knew when we would have ice both times this year, that makes me know nothing. Again, you're just proving your arrogance here like it seems you do in most posts. How soon people forget that it was in the 50's and 60's leading up to when we started making ice in December. Add to that 60's and 70's in November. If you wanna be done fine. I might not be out there this weekend if I'm still sick but I'm sure there will be other guy's and I'll be laughing when reports of people fishing start coming in.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:06 PM »
All those years ice fishing but can't act your age?  Name calling and instigating is very mature.  I don't even know Jason but I see he didn't resort to insults or immaturity.  Doesn't matter how old some people get they'll still not act like an adult and take the high road.

Stay safe everyone.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:28 PM »
weeeeelll, I took the day off tomorrow to go fish a large lake that is still locked up and has 8" of ice on it still. And I'm already making plans to fish another smaller lake this weekend that still has over 8" of ice with a few buddies. In fact, there's a lot of lakes with ice on them. I didn't want to go out last weekend because I was worried that even if there was ice it might be soft and ready to bust so I stayed home and played with my grandsons. The 16yr old would rather hang out with his buddies but they weren't around so he was stuck with me, lol! The last couple days in the teens and 20's has the ice tightened up and good to go. Some lakes took a beating so be carefull getting back out on them. The lakes that opened up should be treated just like first ice, and a scary first ice at that. Be careful and spud your way around. And as with all early ice, be ready to turn around and walk away if that inner voice tells you to.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Bring the wallet to the lake and we w make some bets. $$$$!!!

Chute82

« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Im on the ice right now, what's the deal?

Offline Robbie L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Im on the ice right now, what's the deal?

Wow nice catch! Can I ask what lake you were on?
                 Rob

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Might be good by next weekend?  I see 3" by Sunday as long as it caps Thursday.  Maybe another inch during next week. 

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Where's the walleye honey hole?

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Don't know if this matters but I have been watching flooded ares that are essentially out of the wind.  Ice has formed on these shallow areas.  I look at this as potential. 

Been fishing open water in an area I like to ice fish and the banks are very soft.  Would it be accurate if I assumed the bank needs to freeze before the water can start to build ice?  It makes sense to me, but again maybe I am over thinking the process.  Lol

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Chute need a good man to help you count

Chute82

« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Chute need a good man to help you count

If you know the metric system it would help a bunch

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:01 AM »
All those years ice fishing but can't act your age?  Name calling and instigating is very mature.  I don't even know Jason but I see he didn't resort to insults or immaturity.  Doesn't matter how old some people get they'll still not act like an adult and take the high road.

Stay safe everyone.
                                       x2

Offline Jighead13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:15 PM »
I had a dream last night. Got up to take this picture sun  rise
Great picture....need. To walk on it  with this warm temp will we

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Thanks  I try to get a picture. When I can  have to watch on that lake no service on cell kills battery...in a lot of places...

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 01, 2017, 03:59 PM »

Stay safe everyone.

x3
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:31 PM »
This site is getting to be like Fish Erie "internet combat" Whats the big deal Gofishing whether its ice or open water and get off the computer.If the safe ice comes again that's great if it doesn't well that happens some time.

Offline Jighead13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:40 PM »
I guess to much time on hands hunting being over and very little ice...maybe it will  be like being in limbo can't get on ice and to much to open water fish...😒

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Well I am putting the stuff up and stripping the
Line. Ain't hoping any more. More 50* rain. Fork in it. Time to kill some coyotes

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:24 AM »
well, sorry guys. I lied. I went up to Prompton expecting the 8" of ice I was told about and didn't find it. It was closer to 11" of solid ice, locked up shore to shore! Spent the day. Was in a whiteout snow storm for an hour or so and jigged up some gills and perch and got a few pic's on the tip ups, one was 24" and one spit the bait but felt about the same... give or take. Belmont still has 10" and Promised Land still has plenty of ice. heck, it's makin ice right now. Brady's is still locked up and so is Tobyhanna. Can't wait for the weekend, gonna spend it on the ice. Prompton is having a tourney, might get into that or maybe I'll just go to Promised Land and relax with some friends. That lake is great for just sittin back and lettin it happen! It's only over if you want it to be over.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:29 AM »
Not much to dril on the west side of the state a lot of open water  you in the north east are lucky..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.