The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Too little too late?  (Read 3664 times)

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
Too little too late?
« on: Jan 27, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Well ol' man winter decided to drop by nw PA again.  I haven't made it on the ice this season as of yet.  Dang bug going around had me grounded.  With the weather that's forecasted; new, safe ice seems like it may be hindered by snow and wind.   Hoping I'm wrong.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Too little too late?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:13 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure of that, looking at the forecast lakes that don't have ice on them by Wednesday night won't have to worry about snow and should start putting the ice on Wednesday night with a low in the mid teens, then Thursday and Friday night with lows near 10 and highs in the mid 20's might just give us close to 4 inches with no snow. Just have to wait and see. I'd even take three inches of good ice right now which I'll bet some lakes will see by the weekend if they don't get snow on them. Gotta stay optimistic. Stay safe out there if you do get out.

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:15 PM »
Fingers crossed!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:51 PM »
You can cross your fingers and your toes, it's going to take longer than you think. Surface temps is high and it's windy. Most lakes won't cap for a week or more it not going to be that cold. I'm glad I've got other options than just ice fishing because this season was bad for ice.  Between soft water and bunny hunting I'll make it through winter. Not much fun on hard water this year. Only thing I can say is I got some unbelievable buys this winter. Marcum LX 5 for $250.00 and Lacrosse ice man Pac boots for 41.98 new. Now looking for a new float suit,Striker. If any fellow ice men see them on sale,PM or post it. Thanks.

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:02 PM »
You can cross your fingers and your toes, it's going to take longer than you think. Surface temps is high and it's windy. Most lakes won't cap for a week or more it not going to be that cold. I'm glad I've got other options than just ice fishing because this season was bad for ice.  Between soft water and bunny hunting I'll make it through winter. Not much fun on hard water this year. Only thing I can say is I got some unbelievable buys this winter. Marcum LX 5 for $250.00 and Lacrosse ice man Pac boots for 41.98 new. Now looking for a new float suit,Striker. If any fellow ice men see them on sale,PM or post it. Thanks.
I really don't think so. I'd bet some lakes start to cap Sunday night with a low of 17 and light winds. I've been right on when lakes will be able to be fished during both cold spells this season. Even so I've heard khale is still mostly frozen and if they can keep the snow off of it or get it wet enough to freeze into ice it won't take long to start putting ice on it.

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience in ice fishing yet. This is my fourth year, I was spoiled my first 2 years (plenty of ice).  All I really have to go by is what I read on this site and what I hear from others. 

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Yeah tons of info on here, you could spend hours upon hours reading it all. I remember 2014-2015 season.. the year me and my dad bought a power auger.. so glad we did ended up with close to 2 feet of ice on the lakes.. fished till march 25th I think it was.. not this year :( If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as much as I can.. Been ice fishing for 10 years now.. boy how time flys

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Yea 57 years for me on the ice. I know it well.

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:12 PM »
Yeah Jason.  Believe me I read many many posts.  I even browse thru different state forums trying to soak up information.  Keeps me up at night literally have not slept for 2 days.  At night I get so caught up in reading posts I lose track of time.  Before I realize the sun comes up. 

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:56 PM »
Wow 57 years, that's amazing.  I can not imagine the number of stories you would have. 

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:22 AM »
Wow 57 years, that's amazing.  I can not imagine the number of stories you would have.

They would walk up hill both ways to go fishing back then

Offline PacDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I drove around a few lakes the past two days... open water and weak ice..alot of guys are taking chances. been ice fishing for 18yrs its shot.. getting the boat ready :thumbsup:

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:29 AM »
There's always a chance for a weather pattern to change and bring us ideal conditions ,I guess. 

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Man everyone seems to be a pessimist. Looking at the 10 day forecast the temperatures are right to be fishing somewhere soon. If you're in north east pa you've gotta be getting colder than we are. I really wouldn't count it out yet.

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I agree, Jason.  If any of the NEPA or pocono area lakes held their base ice at all through the warm spell, things should lock up nicely this week.  Just be careful of those weak spots, and stay alert or use a spud bar if not sure.  I know guys are fishing different places this weekend, but I am giving it a few more days to build up. 
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline dbswab78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I'm not counting it out totally...  Sugar lake tends to freeze up quicker than most places around here.  Be awesome to get that ice back.  Just not looking to be able hit my favorite spots. Been 2 years since I could ice fish one spot that is difficult to have a slow day.  But I'll take it where I can get it at this point. Lol

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:38 PM »
It will freeze.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:53 PM »
We shouldbe back on the ice soon.its the end of January .i read the doomsayers and just chuckle ,you would think after 75 yrs exp they would know better

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:21 PM »
I have seen it before very little ice
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Here is a chart that may help you when you think we may get some good ice 4 in -+++++++++++++     To be safe for some fishing and good movement on the

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Kov,you don't know nothing about ice making or ice fishing. I was on a back bay today somewhere and there was 2" of clear hard ice. Isn't 2" the new 4". Or maybe it was the back of my mind.lol I don't know what to think ice or spring. We need a road trip. Simco or Devils lake.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:25 PM »
I had a dream last night. Got up to take this picture sun  rise

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Great picture, only thing that would be is a tip up with a flag waving and a 25 inch walleye on the end... ::)

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2017, 05:52 AM »
Too bad that wasn't a present day pic

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:36 AM »
geez, there's another month and a half left. What, you guys all worried what the groundhog is gonna say, lol. Most of the lakes in my area have plenty of ice. I'm taking the day off tomorrow just to walk on one of them cuz I couldn't make it out last weekend. Then I'm gonna hit another lake this weekend.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:45 AM »
Clay I know what you are saying....I wish it was yesterday but it was not....this is real ice my truck on 3 foot of ice  on a New York lake up State not a drag just drive to you spot...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Geez, things are just getting good again!  ::)  Had 19 degrees the last 2 nights. Getting even colder Th/Fri/Sat nites!  @)

Taking tomorrow off and hope to be knee deep in trout by this time tomorrow!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:03 AM »
If we go by accuweathers forecast there will be spots on Arthur to fish this weekend. Wednesday Thursday and Friday nights alone will put it close to 4 inches, plus the daytime highs will be making ice. All the pessimists out there saying it's over.. if it doesn't get quite as cold as they're calling for, might need Saturday night as well, but let's hope not. Gotta stay optimistic. How fun is it thinking you're never gonna ice fish again this season? Not very fun.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Not saying it is over just will take longer than you think for 4 ins of safe  clear ice not the new three some are going by.....I have no need to get wet over a fish....just saying

Offline Jason120

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:22 AM »
It'll cap tomorrow night with a low near 12. A low near 7 Thursday night and 3 Friday night will put on at least three inches. Add the mid 20 daytime highs and there will be close to four. Add Saturday night and you'll have at least four by Sunday if there isn't snow on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.