The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing Pa / Lake Arthur  (Read 10461 times)

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing Pa / Lake Arthur
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Hit Arthur on Friday... Picked up a few gills at Muddy Creek. Ran over to Shannon and had two runs but they dropped the bait.  Anyone doing good at Arthur or Willhelm?

Offline TAP66

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing Pa / Lake Arthur
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:25 PM »
I fished Muddy Creek Friday as well.  Started off the morning with a mixed bag of decent sized perch and crappie with some nice blues mixed in.  then it slowed down around 11:00 am but picked back up around noon and I finished with a bunch of bigger gills.
I don't mind if you sit next to me as long as you are a fisherman who cares about the resource.

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Good deal. Hoping the ice holds up with the warm temps this week. Any idea how to get to the lake reports and conditions area of the site?

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Should be able to get to it now you need like 5 posts I think

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:58 PM »
10-4. Thanks

Offline graveydavey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:23 AM »
You need 3 posts.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:37 AM »

Offline icetrawler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is Surreal!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I fished two places Saturday on lake Arthur. One place was at Muddy Creek . One angler said there was a tournament going on. I wonder where the results would be posted to see how guys did in the contest.

This was my first trip ice fishing here and overall I had a productive day. I caught a couple dozen of pan fish in both locations. Most of the fish were small. Only caught one nice sized Crappy. My new Marcum flasher sure helped me land more fish. I was able to anticipate fish near my bait and then entice them to bite by using different presentations.

I noticed many fisherman keeping the small sun fish. I agree with the in-fisherman show which said lakes with small pan fish have a large harvest because the fish can not have time to grow. They said it takes 8 years for a sun fish to reach maturity. Maybe if more fisherman would release the small fish we could then enjoy catching bigger ones.

Enjoy Fishing!
"Are you fishing or are you going fishing?" :)

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Maybe if more fisherman would release the small fish we could then enjoy catching bigger ones.

Just do your part and don't worry about the other guys. You have no control or say so if they want to keep legal fish. Write the fish commission to see if you can get a petition started to put a size limit on them there. that may be your best bet.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Maybe if more fisherman would release the small fish we could then enjoy catching bigger ones.

Just do your part and don't worry about the other guys. You have no control or say so if they want to keep legal fish. Write the fish commission to see if you can get a petition started to put a size limit on them there. that may be your best bet.

Sound a little hostile there chumster lol.

Pretty sure he's quoting / summarzing general results from an article about a bluegill study from in-fisherman with that statement.

...Selective harvest...

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Not trying to be hostile, just being real. Guys are going to keep what they want no matter what other people think. If it's legal, what say so do we have?

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Not trying to be hostile, just being real. Guys are going to keep what they want no matter what other people think. If it's legal, what say so do we have?

Just busting your chops lol. Wish I could remember the article I read from some pretty big name people that was all about we as hunters and fishers being our own conservationist and etc.  It was a pretty neat read

Offline Huntermccall157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:16 AM »
Hit muddy yesterday morning had two runs and caught a dozen or so dink gills. Saturday was productive as we caught 2 dozen crappies some decently sized by the cabins. It was the first time we have ever tried the area. Also a 6 pound large mouth !

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:44 AM »
That is a good haul!  I've never fished by the cabins but the depth structure is interesting over there. At least where the cove comes out into the main lake.  Lots of steep looking drops for a lake that is primarily flat.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:36 AM »
I have read more than a few in fisherman articles that promoted releasing the big ones and taking some smaller ones home to the frying pan.thats how slot limits work.i was actually catching bigger gills this year than previous years.think it might be a good sign of things to come hopefully.we sure as hell don't want to throw them on shore.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I have read more than a few in fisherman articles that promoted releasing the big ones and taking some smaller ones home to the frying pan.thats how slot limits work.i was actually catching bigger gills this year than previous years.think it might be a good sign of things to come hopefully.we sure as hell don't want to throw them on shore.

I second the bigger gills this year.  They're not massive, but they're bigger than what they have been in majority of previous years.  Whoever is throwing the fish on the shore at least put them in a bag. Saves me time from picking up free fertilizer 😂

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Does lake Arthur have any ice left up at upper 528 launch???
: )

Offline fishinmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Does lake Arthur have any ice left up at upper 528 launch???
I was squirrel hunting today and there was probably 50 guys around upper 528 and a couple groups by the church.  Open water under the bridge and in front of the lower launch.  I drove through the upper launch, the shore didn't look that great by the parking area,  and they had boards going out where the launch is.

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Yeah MC was busy today. 1 keeper crappie, 2 large mouth, nice perch that went back and a handful of small gills. Had several other big runs that I couldn't land. 4-5 inches of ice. The ice was in decent shape at the end of the day

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:34 AM »
That's crazy. I thought by now upper 528 would be close to all open water by now. Great news!!!

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:32 PM »
That's crazy. I thought by now upper 528 would be close to all open water by now. Great news!!!

I thought when I was there looking around yesterday, the upper end was wet. Not sure, but it looked that way.

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:48 AM »
There were spots where the sun had melted the snow and the ice was getting a little slushy. I guess to me the ice seemed decent given the temps and the amount of sun in Sat. We will see how she holds up after another rain event today.

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Anyone know how thick the ice is at upper 528???

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Mknott what is it with you and upper 528 launch? It's starting to sound like stalking :nono:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Mknott what is it with you and upper 528 launch? It's starting to sound like stalking :nono:

Maybe that's all he has to say?  ;D

Offline iglooice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Someone reported yesterday on another post about 4" at upper 528.

So I am relatively new to ice fishing.... I've gone a handful of times in the past, but am now getting more serious about it.  Typically I rig with a treble at the end of the line and set the bait 6"-12" off bottom. Last trip out I rigged up a drop shot and had steady flags with that tip-up. Curious if anyone has else has noticed an increas in action with this presentation?

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Someone reported yesterday on another post about 4" at upper 528.

So I am relatively new to ice fishing.... I've gone a handful of times in the past, but am now getting more serious about it.  Typically I rig with a treble at the end of the line and set the bait 6"-12" off bottom. Last trip out I rigged up a drop shot and had steady flags with that tip-up. Curious if anyone has else has noticed an increas in action with this presentation?

Hot hole.  Single hook, set at same depth more than likely would've produced too. 

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Just wanna make sure the ice is thick enough so I don't fall through and die. Don't know how that's stocking

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Just wanna make sure the ice is thick enough so I don't fall through and die. Don't know how that's stocking
i heard that :'( :'( :'( i was wondering myself if the snow is affecting the ice but as always will be checkin myself,as i said befo i need to know one answer are there guys out and where, the rest is up to me.thanks joe for the report
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:43 AM »
it was a joke

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.