The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur  (Read 8766 times)

Offline creel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Arthur
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:11 AM »
Sounds like a Frankie story to me
thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:16 AM »
We barely fished on 7.5 inches when it was blistering cold out...

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I'm not telling anyone to stay off of the ice....BUT USE YOUR HEAD BEFORE YOU STEPT ON IT AFTER THIS WARM  UP.....CAN BE LIKE A TRAP DOOR ..../img]
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:04 PM »
4" still upper 528 but it was crap ice,few guys in front of church .seems to be atleast still locked up.

Offline Huntermccall157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:29 AM »
See and they didn't believe I was serious , don't fish then , just trying to help some fellow outdoorsman out ! All the crappies we caught were under 10 inches but did catch a 6 pound bass on tip ups. 1 MOfish , my dad and I have ran into you several times over the years , he used to contact you on hhere for a long time , slippyskippy. I've been fishing muddy creek and a nice finger that is close to the bike rentals.

If you don't want help with ice no need to comment people just do the rest of us a solid and stay home :)

Offline Huntermccall157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Heading out tomorrow to check some ice let me know what's going on , just got off work and would like to catch some fish .

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:35 AM »
Is there any areas on Arthur that consistently produce channel cats

Offline FISHHUNTER80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GET THE GAFF!!!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:45 AM »
They'll never quit stocking trout.  That's more than likely their #1 thing that brings money too them.  How many people go out and buy a fishing licenses plus the trout stamp to go fish those few days, and maybe a couple more and that's it?  Everyone knows there's very few streams in PA that will successfully hold trout, not to mention the lakes they stock them in too. It's for money to bring people in for a few days of catching.

While were on the topic of trout just my thought I'd love to see what would happen to lake arthur if they stocked trout, and freshwater shrimp in there for a few years.
Nothing would be happier than the Pike & Musky if they stocked Trout in Arthur. The torpedo shape and extra slime let them slide down the gullet perfectly. At least they'd leave the young walleye alone. Lol!

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:55 AM »
Very true. They stock trout in a ton of lakes that they shouldn't. Trout acti might survive I in arthur.

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:00 AM »
At least brown trout. Similar to raystown.the alewives would be a good food for them.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Just maybe if they stock a different strain or blue gills and perch. To the lake it just may get a  change the size we get....no more pigme. Fish ...I'm  not saying it will help but it might....more walleye also will help  with pike and muskies ..the lake needs help.....trout will not do it....put and take with them... And would need a trout stamp to fish the lake.....even if you don't  fish for them....talked  to fish com. A** /Holes  yesterday at sportmens show  they are. Not our  friend all they only care about is money not the fish in the lake...

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Just maybe if they stock a different strain or blue gills and perch. To the lake it just may get a  change the size we get....no more pigme. Fish ...I'm  not saying it will help but it might....more walleye also will help  with pike and muskies ..the lake needs help.....trout will not do it....put and take with them... And would need a trout stamp to fish the lake.....even if you don't  fish for them....talked  to fish com. A** /Holes  yesterday at sportmens show  they are. Not our  friend all they only care about is money not the fish in the lake...

Think about it. Would you rather have thousands of trout stocked in a mud flat that are going to die, or thousands of trout stocked someplace they'll have a benefit?  Muskie, pike, bass, walleye, stripers all will feed on the trout.  In theory taking pressure off of the toothies fingerlings.the trout are going to turn and feed on the alewives/ fry etc.  If the trout spawn literally every fish would would eat their fry.  Every fish in that lake will eat a trout at some stage in a trout life especially if they start spawning.  Plus if they survive who knows how big they could get.  Add a freshwater shrimp to the mix, and there's more food for your perch, crappie, and gills to fill their stomachs with. 

IMO the problem with the bluegill fishery in LA is their major predator is being basically wiped from a finger ever year.   

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:32 AM »
I don't think lmb are being wiped out,however given the way bluegill spawn it doesn't take long for them to reach a size that they turn from prey to predator. When that happens stunted they become.

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Does anyone have a ice report from yesterday or today

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:09 AM »
i agree the pa fish and boat have no cares of the fishermen.. the dollar is it.. if so there would be structure put in the lake and not more sailboat places.. stock some fingerling eyes and perch. do something other than drive around.. this lake is not made for trout.

Offline josh6012jak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Neither is any other pa lake besides tough,raystown,Allegheny res.,erie.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:34 AM »
It takes 10-12 years for for a gill to become a bull. As for the PFC and PGC they suck. Lost all respect for those smart a- holes. They got all the answers,just not the right ones. Yesterday sealed the deal,never will talk to them again,unless checked.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:54 AM »
heaven forbid you keep a fish or harvest an animal here in pa.. I just like to know where all the big slabs went for the 90's. I always caught them before I got into ice fishing.. now its tiny crappies or 9 inchers.. I don't eat them big slob perch? don't get them here either.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:05 AM »
We as Sportsmen  pay the PFC.   AND. THE.   PGC.....after talking to them. I have  no recept for any of them..ask them something and they tell  you go to the Internet ... And find it. ...and they wonder why we dislike them....they should be there for our help also....

Offline aj3j

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I couldn't agree more! PA wastes so much money on stocking bs trout that are either going to sit in someone's freezer for a year and get thrown out or die in the creeks that they were stocked in. If you ask me, that money could be better spent a million different ways, whether it be adding structure to the lakes, stocking more game fish or creating better access for anglers. Anyway that's my rant...hope everyone has a good week and maybe see you on the ice this weekend.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:28 AM »
I hear you Cayboy,never had trouble then getting huge crappie,10-15 fish was more than enough. Slabs may still be there but not the numbers,like then. I have not had great crappie fishing since the 2000-2001 winter at L.A.That year averaged 12- 20 true slabs 12-16 inches,with one outstanding day where 35 monster fish almost filled the bucket. Guess you can blame me for the decline.lol

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:22 AM »
I would think many factors.. from my stand point and fishing there it all seems to go along with the striper stockings... I hear the elwifes are there too.. competition form the food? just what I have seen.. it is just a shame the fish and boat don't want fishermens help with anything... yeah they all know best..

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:29 AM »
how about the reclamation of strip lakes? they do nothing to improve the use of free water for the sportsmen who pay them.. I drive around and find water and use my efforts to put fish in water.. and when I want to sink some brush its no no no.. f the lot of them.. just let the blue coats keep hundreds of under sized eyes on pyme and say oh we never hear about it...

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:52 AM »
I don't think lmb are being wiped out,however given the way bluegill spawn it doesn't take long for them to reach a size that they turn from prey to predator. When that happens stunted they become.

LMB are the #1 predator of gills.  You put hundreds of people in 1 finger catching a limit of bass and keeping it everytime out it is a fact the populations going to dip.  Low bass pop = less gill predators = more gills. 

As for trout I think they'd have a better chance to survive here then in 70% of where they're stocked now.  I'd rather see them get put in here where they'd end up a food source for a predator possibly surviVing in the 30 ft depths growing rather than a 4 ft creek that they're surely to die in. 

Chute82

« Reply #84 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Trout in streams migrate when the water warms to cooler areas.  I have a secret small stream spot that's off of a heavy stocked large trout stream that's loaded with big trout year round.  The water is cold in this small stream while the larger creek they where stocked in warms quickly.  If you want to catch stream trout year round in western PA you have to do some homework.  Knowing where the smaller cooler streams enter the larger creeks and knock on doors asking landowners if it's ok to fish.  Read Joe Humpreys Trout Tatics book on stream temps and trout migration. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:00 PM »
See and they didn't believe I was serious , don't fish then , just trying to help some fellow outdoorsman out ! All the crappies we caught were under 10 inches but did catch a 6 pound bass on tip ups. 1 MOfish , my dad and I have ran into you several times over the years , he used to contact you on hhere for a long time , slippyskippy. I've been fishing muddy creek and a nice finger that is close to the bike rentals.

If you don't want help with ice no need to comment people just do the rest of us a solid and stay home :)
since no one was way back in muddy, could the ice be 7.5 inches?only the person who ventured back there knows.nice running into your dad and your gang dont get upset everyone is MR GRUMPY PANTS with the bad ice and empty freezer? hunter"s been fishin for a long time for a young man and his dad been fishn as long as me. hope you get them
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:41 PM »
4" good clear ice off of dead end lot in MC couple guys over by tracks .first couple feet not real good but than seemed good ice

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Ice thickness at upper 528?? Anyone know???
: )

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Ice thickness at upper 528?? Anyone know???

Id assume similar to dead end...

Offline Huntermccall157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 10, 2016, 12:52 AM »
Headed up in the morning I'll let ya know!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.