The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: how many carry a spud ?  (Read 5735 times)

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how many carry a spud ?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:08 AM »
always have one.....it has come in handy when the auger acts up  atleast you can spud a couple of holes  rather then tinker with the auger all day

This is also my reasoning.

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #61 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:40 AM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-53-Standard-Ice-Chisel/19341031

that is what i use...nice and light (5.5 lbs)...last year it was 20 bucks and free in store pick up...if a couple of slams doesnt poke thru then you are good to go.  works good for cutting small holes to fish out of too as long as the ice is only 5 or 6".

i dont carry the spud once ice is more than 6" or so but to each their own.

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:43 AM »
always

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:46 AM »

i dont carry the spud once ice is more than 6" or so but to each their own.

It really depends on where you are fishing if you need it once everything is locked up and "safe". Some of the big lakes have pressure ridges and they can open up and refreeze that same day so you might have a one or two or six foot opening where the ice is half an inch. I have followed tracks in of people that literally stepped on these areas and were fortunate not to break through.

Mine fits in the tub of my shanty and stays there all year  ..  along with my boat fender with 50' of rope attached   ...   better safe than sorry  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:05 PM »
    Mine's all steel, about 7 lbs. Don't go on the ice without it.
Jim K.

icewagon

« Reply #65 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:35 PM »
I've been on the ice going on 40 years never used a spud . I drill holes all the way out on ice I have not been on . I could see where if you were walking out and spudding you way out you mite find yourself hundreds of feet out on ice just barely thick enough to bounce that spud . I NEVER go alone .If walking out over ice I have not been on one guy with a PFD will walk and drill attached to a 50' rope with one or more guys holding the other end on safe ice , it has worked all these year without anyone getting wet. Sometimes it takes a little time to do this but the end justifies the means . Not saying a spud bar is wrong its just not what I do .

Offline Mt.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Hello all,
I'm new to your fine forum and am grateful that someone asked this question. I always believed folks used spuds in place of an auger. I'll be getting my hands on one before heading out this year?

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #67 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:39 PM »
It's a preference thing. It's really your call. Those who say it's added weight or an annoyance is their opinion. I bought one this year only after I've talked to and seen some video's of people using them and saw what a benefit it is to have one. Giving a few wacks before you take some steps is easier then carrying the auger with you and pulling the sled. But then again this is just my opinion. They're between $20-$30 so it's not like it'll put you out if you buy one! You know what they say, it's better to have something and not need it then need something and not have it!  ;)   No matter your decision just have fun and be safe!
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline mkpitt2021

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:16 PM »
 :) Never carried one, but after reading the many good  posts , I believe I will be getting one.
Just Love Fishing

Offline WaterFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Never leave home without it.  i use it a lot early season just scouting for ice.  Whenever I'm walking on the ice it is in hand until I set up a home spot.  I put inch marks up the shaft so I can hook the chisel under the ice and quickly know how much there is.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I like that good idea waterfox

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:52 AM »
I've been on the ice going on 40 years never used a spud . I drill holes all the way out on ice I have not been on .

How far between holes??  If it is 50' what happens if the ice is weak 25' out??

A spud is far safer .....  if you give the ice a good whack and all it does is chip you are good to go  ... you can insure every step is safe. When drilling you never know.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline 1070Drew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it hooks- It cooks!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Just bought mine about 3 weeks ago on Fishusa.com for like $25, figured for that cheap, I'd rather lug that thing around on first ice to make sure it's safe, rather than going for a refreshing swim.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:03 AM »
the problem with drillin holes on your way out is once you start, you could be making bad ice even worse. Last week I drilled a hole in ice that I knew was good. I had been fishing on it for 2 days and it was right at 5 inches. good to go. Now I know most if not all of you have had this happen... I drilled this hole and as soon as I broke through (at 5" thick) the ice popped and a crack ran right through the hole. Nothing bad, the ice was thick enough and nothing bad came of it. But what do you think would have happened if I was just walking out and drilled a test hole in an inch or 2 of ice and that happened? Me and my auger would have gone swimming. Instead, I walk out and as soon as I get on you wack the ice with a spud and if it busts right through I back peddle fast and get off the ice before I need a search and recovery team. There ain't a fish on this planet that is worth that to me.

icewagon

« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:04 PM »
How far between holes??  If it is 50' what happens if the ice is weak 25' out??

A spud is far safer .....  if you give the ice a good whack and all it does is chip you are good to go  ... you can insure every step is safe. When drilling you never know.

Sometimes only a step or two , depending on the ice thickness  , doesn't take any longer then it takes to drill a line of tip up holes. I don't know is a whack from a 10 lb bar more force than my 271 lbs .

icewagon

« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:09 PM »
the problem with drillin holes on your way out is once you start, you could be making bad ice even worse. Last week I drilled a hole in ice that I knew was good. I had been fishing on it for 2 days and it was right at 5 inches. good to go. Now I know most if not all of you have had this happen... I drilled this hole and as soon as I broke through (at 5" thick) the ice popped and a crack ran right through the hole. Nothing bad, the ice was thick enough and nothing bad came of it. But what do you think would have happened if I was just walking out and drilled a test hole in an inch or 2 of ice and that happened? Me and my auger would have gone swimming. Instead, I walk out and as soon as I get on you wack the ice with a spud and if it busts right through I back peddle fast and get off the ice before I need a search and recovery team. There ain't a fish on this planet that is worth that to me.
  Your argument starts out bad I would not be drilling on bad ice !

icewagon

« Reply #76 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Spider a few years ago on early ice -Jan. 1  on Hamilton Lake near Wellsboro we walked and drilled all the way out and it was on a solid 8" of ice , Marsh Rat was already there and in a blink of an eye he went through although carrying a spud bar. One of my guys pulled him out , and because I carry every thing needed to keep a guy from hypothermia dry clothes ,towel, to dry off ect . we had him warm and dry in no time . He was back on the ice fishing with us till dark. His problem was he did not read the ice ,there are springs at that area which can be seen. And although I applaud the search and rescue teams for their bravery I would not depend on them for help in time , carry what you need.

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:20 AM »
 Always have mine.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:24 AM »
I never use to have one until this year. Now I have it every trip!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:30 AM »
ME..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:02 AM »
Always take mine with me unless I'm fishing at my brothers place in Maine with 15-20" of ice! I have the Jiffy Mille lacs chisel and can punch through 6" of ice in a few whacks.  Give 2 or 3 hits and move on if it doesn't draw water.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I use a 4" Ames Brute that I bought at Ace Hardware. $20 or so, filed a good edge on it and I can hit water through 3 inches first hit. It's light enough to float and the wood handle gives me a better feel of the ice than any steel spud I've ever tried. I don't bother to bring an auger until there's six inches, and I'd be Okay with chopping through 8.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:05 AM »
I use a 4" Ames Brute that I bought at Ace Hardware. $20 or so, filed a good edge on it and I can hit water through 3 inches first hit. It's light enough to float and the wood handle gives me a better feel of the ice than any steel spud I've ever tried. I don't bother to bring an auger until there's six inches, and I'd be Okay with chopping through 8.
that is what I tried after I sharpened it on the grinder at 215 and being a mason I was not able to go through 3" of good ice with 1 hit.it was definitely more work to make a hole than with a hand auger with good blades but it did make me feel a little better and was not too heavy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.