The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How long have you been ice fishing  (Read 2562 times)

Offline percheye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How long have you been ice fishing
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:08 PM »
OK, THE WEATHER IS NOT IN A COOPERATING MOOD SO LETS SIT BACK AND REMISE WHEN WE STARTED ICE FISHING AND FOR HOW LONG. MAYBE A WHO WHERE AND WHEN QUESTION CAN BE ADDED. IF AFTER A COUPLE OF MONTHS ,I MAY BE ABLE TO  COMPILE A SUMMARY.

I CAN TELL YOU I HAVE BEEN ICE FISHING SINCE 1958 AND SINCE THEN HAVE ONLY MISSED 3YRS OF NOT GETTING ON THE ICE. FIRST TIME WAS ON LAKE WALLENPAUPACK,BRUNERS LANDING AND I FROZE ALL DAY.FISHED WITH MY DAD FOR MANY YRS AT THE PACK AND HAVE SOME GREAT MEMORIES.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How long have you been ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:55 PM »
since 1976 when a friend asked me to go along,I thought he was nuts. Well we went to Little Buffalo St Park and I was not dressed properly and was freezing but I caught a small bass and a small perch on regular equip using  worms.  So ever since now people call me the nut because I go every chance I get. @)  :tipup:

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Percheye, I got my start by a long time friend who invited my son and I to Pymatuning in Feb 2002. I remember going out off of Snodgrass launch and it was an absolutely beautiful day. About forty degrees and mostly sunny. There were lots of people out. I had no "ice fishing" equipment per se so used my regular rod and a bucket to sit on. My son and buddy ended up catching several panfish and I got skunked! The only thing I caught was the ice fishing itch. There was just something about looking down that little hole and thinking the big one is down there. Thousands of dollars later and countless hours have passed and I still have that da** itch!   Lou

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:00 PM »
In 1968 at the age of 17.    Made rods from broom sticks and broken rod ends ....got my 1st. Auger from land of lakes sport shop mail order that and I have it and use it from time to time ...many ask where did that come from they never saw anything like it it is a husking type...never. Had  the things I have. Now..2 clams a 1 man and a 2 man under water cam and vexilar .....can't forget  my power auger....it is in my blood ...at age 63...I look  for hard water each year....I have been called  crazy many time ..but. A lot of my friends have hands out. For fish each winter....lol...I mostly go after panfish now...they are the best eatting.......well I hope the ice will be here soon...be safe...use your head take a buddy with you....let people know where you go  and try to give a time you will be home... Tight lines. ...I can't wait..for the ice again...l
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I also have been icing over 50 years--so I am showing my age too! Started out with my Zebco 202"s and kept accumulating equipment as I got older. Now on the verge of 60 I still have the passion!

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Since 1992 I'm 27 now got started with my dad alot of good memories were made over the years if this weather ever breaks I'd like to make some more
A watched flag never flies

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Since 1981 I am 47 now

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:01 PM »
No idea my ole man took me with him when I was a youngin. Missed 2 years since   I'm 25 now and have all my own equipment.    One year i was in boot camp.  2nd I was in Afghanistan.      But I sure as hell made it out when I was stationed in Alaska! 

Offline miller time72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:24 AM »
Since 1985 and I am 42

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:44 AM »
since the early 70's and I'm 55 ............ It's addicting that's for sure  ;D   probably have as much gear as the local bait shop !! LOL
ice fishing rules

Offline maxsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Sense the mid 50's we used an axe to cut holes in the ice and back then it didn't matter how big the hole was. We fished for smelt at Harveys lake using deer meat and sat around a hole that was about 5' square so you would have 5 or 6 guys fishing around the hole. With no special insulated clothes you froze but you always could start a fire or find someone that had one so you could get warm. Jigging rods made out of car antennas with a piece of broom handle that was the best outfit that we could come up with along with tip ups that we used the most it was easy to set up and use. But now I wouldn't go on the ice without a depth finder of some kind and if I don't see fish on it then I don't stay lol what a change.
Maxsr

Offline poconosfan61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:45 AM »
My first experience was on Little Pine Lake catching trout on a zero degree day in the early 90's.  Got away from the sport for a few years since I now live in NJ, but started again last year.  Anxiously awaiting first ice.  Love NE PA

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:16 AM »
back in the late 80"s for me but in my defense a few years earlier I was in Ca and there just aint no ice fishing there :'( :'(

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Tried it in 1968 with ice bar swore I would not go again. After service tried it again and bought a Jiffy in 76 and sold it 5 years ago and now a mag 2000 is my sidekick. Actually ice is my favorite even with all the calico spring bite.Days

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:54 AM »
43 years.Started when i was 9.Its a passion an a addiction.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Since 1984. No equipment what so ever (except plastic tip-ups). If we were fortunate enough we would bash through semi-frozen over old holes with a rock. Beg for bait. If we were lucky we'd carry a hatchet to bash through the ice. Sometimes an old-timer would drill for us and they'll be our holes for the day. Hand augers were exotic and couldn't even articulate how to explain to our parents that we needed one, let alone find a store that would have one. Forget about ice cleats, Other grown-ups on the ice meant that the ice was safe.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:52 PM »
5 years
 :tipup:
if it bites I chase it

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:30 PM »
started in mid 70's. I gotta agree it is an addiction, but a good one. Turning 60 next month and still cannot wait to go.

Offline buckinnuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:06 PM »
my pap and dad was taking me out since i was about 2 or 3..53 now love it cant wait till the weather cooperates...lol

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:10 PM »
early 80s with step dad  been hooked since im 43 now and love it just hope good ice comes soon

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:14 PM »
My first time out I was too young to remember apparently. Im 27 so I would say roughly 25 years. I grew up on a pond about a 1/4 mile long and spent most of my childhood rippin lips.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:18 PM »
This year coming up will be 39 years.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Since 1963 I still have my old hand carved jigging sticks.

Offline fishey56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:28 AM »
since 1973 17 years old started out at montour preserve with half a rod and an ax what great memories .

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I moved to ohio from southern california in 2009, and ice fished for the first time february 2010. It was downhill ever since. Turns out my mothers side of the family in Valley City ND are huge ice fisherman with regular trips to Devils Lake, so hopefully that happens in february.  ;D

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:16 AM »
My dad took me a few times when I was 6-7 but then he got sick and couldn't go. So I unfortunately haven't gotten on the ice to experience this awesome sport until last year. I'll tell you this I will not be missing another year unless I'm physically unable to walk out on that ice! It's great seeing all these experienced ice fishermen on here and one happens to live here in my small town so hopefully he'll allow me to tag along sometime and pick at his brain and learn some things! I'll have to hit ya up sometime percheye and learn some things from a seasoned vet of this great sport!
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline potlicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:39 PM »
10 or so years. Started out with some buddies on lake Perez and got the itch. When i changed jobs and didn't have the same days off as my buddies i started buying gear and going on my own.

Offline Irmeercat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:57 PM »
I started going with my Dad when I was 6 , I'm now 40 and have only missed one year due to a broken femur. Now its Dad,myself, my wife and my 3 boys and occasionally my daughter out enjoying enjoy the times Icefishing

Offline hootman55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:00 PM »
35 YEARS an still going

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:07 PM »
My dad had me on the ice when I was around 4-5... We used to fish Shannon Run at Moraine all the time.. what really got me hooked were the amount of flags we used to get back there... I remember multiple times during my youth of running out of bait from a 40+ flag day.  most fish were bass between 10-15", with the occassional 4-5 pounder and smaller pike.  Now adays I could tell ya the amount of times I've had over 15 flags on 1 hand in the past 5-6 years... A LOT different now a days...
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.