The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: DONT UNDERSTAND????  (Read 4728 times)

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Re: DONT UNDERSTAND????
« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:08 PM »
alright new situation that could happen when you go out on the ice that is "SAFE" for you.

Say you do hit a week spot and go through  and a rescue crew or some bystanders have to get you out and one of them goes under trying to get you out.  you come to find out later that the person that sacrificed themselves to save you, left behind a family.  would you or would you not feel like the biggest Piece of Dog crap in the world.  I know I would.  And it would all be for "the best ice fishing of the year"  Man that would be worth it wouldn't  ::)

when guys go out and risk themselves on first ice they also put the lives of first responders at risk also. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Once again to answer original post, some one has to be on the ice first or else we all be looking at each other come spring. I for one am not gonna sit inside waiting for someone else to tell me its safe when i know its safe for myself or at least check for myself what the conditions are. Someone has to be first and I hope I find some of first safe ice to experience some of the best ice fishing the year has to offer and to finally be able to scratch that itch that has been itching my back since last February. Pretty much end of topic for me.

besides I thought you were a deer hunter anyway.....  that should take up early December at least.  unless your lucky enough to tag out early.  It actually took me until the last Friday last year and then I started fishing open water and then ice before new years.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2013, 09:27 PM »
When was the last time you heard of of an ice fisherman losing his life with a pfd, ice picks, ropes, buddy system, etc? I have never heard of an ice fisherman losing his life while taken caution. Last year I was on bud lake in Jersey the day kids fell through and drowned, I fished on 4-5 inches of safe ice with two other guys all day. Very sad event which I wish never happened but once again ice experience, common sense, and safety equipment keeps you safe non of which was utilized by the teens. Once again I have never been through on first ice yet multiple times mid and late winter with plenty of Ice. and even without my safety equipment on mid winter ice both times i fell through I stayed calm and got out without help. Went to the truck, changed, warmed up and fished rest of the day.if you think your safer by waiting till4" of ice your sadly mistaken.
As far as deer hunting I hunt new Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Most years I have plenty of meat and a good rack under my belt by November, and if I don't I'm usually hunted out. Just got back from Ohio last week, and saw 150", 160", and 170", deer but never had a good shot at any of the deer. 150" 10pt was 25 yards with no shot due to quartering to me and a few limbs in the way. Oh well ill whack a doe or two for meat.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:48 PM »
X 2!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:02 AM »
First guy on the ice......right here.........I'm the one that trusts 2 inches of first solid black ice and I know I ain't going thru cause its safe solid and strong.  And I weigh 260.

Look, someone has to be first on the ice every year, why not me or dmented(mike).  Hey, ive got twin baby girls and I know i'll be there the next day after being out on 2 inches of first black ice.  and if not, they'll get a cool mil from my life insurance ::).  It's what we've done the past 7 years and I think when someone from pa reads that someone in pa is ice fishing, it's brings "an excitement factor" that hey, we're fishing somewhere in pa, my lake will be ready in a week.  Or someone who weighs 150 pounds will be like "awesome, the ice is holding 260 pounds at an elevation  of 1000 feet, I'm going to tobyharlem to scratch my itch.  And scratching the itch is the initial climax, isn't it?

If nothing more, it gets people more motivated to go out and check their local lake a tad more frequently and get off the couch.

And I guess the last thrill I get out of it is its the transition to the next fishing season for me.  And the faster I transition, the easier my decisions are as to where to fish(no more long drives to bear creek, pultneyville, or Hannibal ny). It's an excuse to tell the wife no more road trips, I'll be killing fish down the street.  And the faster I tell the wife that, the faster we can practice making more twins ;D

And for all this hunting talk.....you want to know whats really cool about first, early season ice, being able to sit on your bucket in the middle of a lake on SGL and hunt deer while tending flags.  Granted I don't hunt anymore, but I figure that would be cool during the first week of December and chances are, 2 inches of solid black ice and you're alone and figuring how boring it would be sitting in a tree.

I hate writing on IPads. 

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:58 PM »
If this guy ends up with a second chance at life, I bet he won't be the first guy out next ice season!!!

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1046015/396/Man-in-critical-condition-after-falling-through-ice

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2013, 02:01 PM »
If some folks have a concern with the risks of fishing first that's fine. I feel that those concerns should be kept to ones self. I would be curious if those thin Ice critics inform people who smoke about the risks?  Just because you're not comfortable with the ice thickness doesn't me that I am too.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Well, let's look at it from this aspect folks. If YOU want to venture out on thin ice, or ice YOU "THINK" is safe, and want to risk the lives of the first responders that have to come save you "IF" you go through, then be dam well prepared for the bill you WILL be presented for YOUR stupidity for want to be "FIRST TO FISH!" Up here, if you're rescued hiking and you're found without the necessary equipment to be out there, you WILL pay for your rescue. The last one I heard of was around $68,000. So, have your check books ready, your wildlife and fisheries dept. will appreciate your donations. There are more agencies invoking this law now more than ever. GOOD!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2013, 03:24 PM »
   Laws,laws,and more laws...agencies are more interested in making money than saving lives!!!!! BS!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2013, 04:03 PM »
2 inches in my own opinion is not safe ice.  heck some places wont even let you on the ice until there is 4. 

as far as the weather and ice combo that's a whole nother can of worms.  you have to use common sense. 

Like you said the more your out there the more you learn.

if you are positive that the ice your on is 2 inches then it is safe. If it can hold you, it can hold you. The physics aren't going to change.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 17, 2013, 04:17 PM »
   Laws,laws,and more laws...agencies are more interested in making money than saving lives!!!!! BS!

Their trying to prevent deaths due to stupidity and poor judgment. If you want to speed, you will get a summons and fine. Same principle. Not a big fan of law enforcement?! You know what they say, "Don't hate the players, hate the game." I hate being the one to put salt on the wound and be blunt, but it is what it is. And unfortunately, this is how the law and most of the general public looks at it. Let's say, someone were to check the ice, see two inches. "Know" his weight would be supported by it and goes out. Now, for some unforeseen reason this person breaks through the ice, gets out and up onto the ice and to safety again, but what he/she didn't know was that someone on shore saw him go in and called for rescue personnel and they responded. What happens? The person is safe, but they responded. The person is charged with negligence and fined for going out in a "KNOWN" unsafe condition. Would you walk across an active shooting range JUST to get to the other side to get a soda? NO. At least I hope not. You would walk around. Same principle guys, its a friggin fish. It will be there weather the ice is 1/2 thick or 12inches thick. Let's not prove to the general public that ice fisherman and women are that stupid!!!!! And I don't care how much of a so called "risk" taker you are. Your actions reflect on me, as well as the moderators and everyone else on this sight, as well as all ice fishers. 
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Their trying to prevent deaths due to stupidity and poor judgment. If you want to speed, you will get a summons and fine. Same principle. Not a big fan of law enforcement?! You know what they say, "Don't hate the players, hate the game." I hate being the one to put salt on the wound and be blunt, but it is what it is. And unfortunately, this is how the law and most of the general public looks at it. Let's say, someone were to check the ice, see two inches. "Know" his weight would be supported by it and goes out. Now, for some unforeseen reason this person breaks through the ice, gets out and up onto the ice and to safety again, but what he/she didn't know was that someone on shore saw him go in and called for rescue personnel and they responded. What happens? The person is safe, but they responded. The person is charged with negligence and fined for going out in a "KNOWN" unsafe condition. Would you walk across an active shooting range JUST to get to the other side to get a soda? NO. At least I hope not. You would walk around. Same principle guys, its a friggin fish. It will be there weather the ice is 1/2 thick or 12inches thick. Let's not prove to the general public that ice fisherman and women are that stupid!!!!! And I don't care how much of a so called "risk" taker you are. Your actions reflect on me, as well as the moderators and everyone else on this sight, as well as all ice fishers.

So why do go out on the ice?  Ever?  Maybe you don't; in which case, why are you here posting.
Do you drive a vehicle on a public highway?  WOW, how on earth do you bring yourself to do that?  There are way more accidents involving vehicles (per 100 operators) than there will ever be on the ice.  Way more "stupid" people on the road.
Your reasoning is way off - JMO   :P ???

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2013, 05:18 PM »
   I feel safer on 12'' of clear ice with my pickup than driving in the city. Not a long winded city boy either.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:26 PM »
So why do go out on the ice?  Ever?  Maybe you don't; in which case, why are you here posting.
Do you drive a vehicle on a public highway?  WOW, how on earth do you bring yourself to do that?  There are way more accidents involving vehicles (per 100 operators) than there will ever be on the ice.  Way more "stupid" people on the road.
Your reasoning is way off - JMO   :P ???

I think you're missing the bigger picture here. Your representing a WAY smaller group of people than those on a road way. AND, for as small as a percentage of people there are hard water fishing their just as susceptible to ending up on the news at night more so often than a traffic accident. Your actions reflect on everyone. So if someone from my state see's someone being careless on thin ice on the news. Than whenever they see someone one the ice that's their thought, we're careless, reckless and pick any other thought you want. Out here out biggest issue is littering as of right now. But as you had said, JMO as well.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:30 PM »
   Not a long winded city boy either.

That's OK, I won't hold that against you................And I'll end that one right there due to my education. ;D

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:34 PM »
I have a feeling this thread may last longer than the ice.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #46 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:35 PM »
No, I spoke my piece. I'm done with it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:37 PM »

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Personally, I am all for seatbelts, but against seatbelt LAWS. When it comes to ones personal safety, it is his/her decision. This topic comes up every year with the same "what if" crap. I promised myself not to get involved, yet here I am....lol
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Pass the popcorn RebelSS....please and thank you!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #50 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Pass the popcorn RebelSS....please and thank you!

No prob! Soda?  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:09 PM »

You brought the snacks, I got the beers....lol

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 19, 2013, 10:48 AM »
I dont like to go on ice thats not 5" or more.I feel safe at that thickness.Last year i broke my own rule and was on ice at StillWATER DAm that was just about 4".Just too tired of waiting for 5".It was stupid of me.Nothing happened thank GOD.Lots of guys on the ice that day too.
     I have seen ice like JIGGERMAN stated in above post.12" of ice good and solid and 60' away unsafe ice.Thats whats scarey.They say it time and time again [NO FISH IS WORTH GOING THREW THE ICE] but sometimes we  be STUPID and brake our own rules.Im stciking to my 5" rule this year.I can hunt crows,muzzle loader hunt,or fish open water till safe ice.Be safe guys.The ice will come soon enough.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 19, 2013, 02:27 PM »
I dont like to go on ice thats not 5" or more.I feel safe at that thickness.Last year i broke my own rule and was on ice at StillWATER DAm that was just about 4".Just too tired of waiting for 5".It was stupid of me.Nothing happened thank GOD.Lots of guys on the ice that day too.
     I have seen ice like JIGGERMAN stated in above post.12" of ice good and solid and 60' away unsafe ice.Thats whats scarey.They say it time and time again [NO FISH IS WORTH GOING THREW THE ICE] but sometimes we  be STUPID and brake our own rules.Im stciking to my 5" rule this year.I can hunt crows,muzzle loader hunt,or fish open water till safe ice.Be safe guys.The ice will come soon enough.

5 inches? You just shortened your season by a month. Iv been fishing on an inch and 3/4 and I weigh 200 pounds. (I'm not saying that is a good idea) but do u have any idea how much weight 5 inches can hold? 5 inches can hold a small truck. Pennsylvania ice season is short enough as it is. But hey that's just my two cents.

Ps. 2 inches can hold 300 pounds and the weight limit grows exponentially from there. Sooo...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Every on has there comfort level, I would not belittle any one for waiting longer than I feel is necessary, I just wish "they" would have the same curtsy...

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Come on down my way you bunch of spoiled crybabys  ;)2.Around here first ice and late ice is usually about 4 days apart!So,walk a lake in my ice cleats,that will stop all you whiny manys pansy complainers.....Yeah take that and poke it down your 12" ice holes....:whistle:

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Every on has there comfort level, I would not belittle any one for waiting longer than I feel is necessary, I just wish "they" would have the same curtsy...
Ditto.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:04 PM »
That's OK, I won't hold that against you................And I'll end that one right there due to my education. ;D

education and common since which to choose ? guess I pick the latter [JMO]  ;D and for first and last ice just use a spud they never lie and remember icecracker ice almost never freezes evenly , I was made of steel many years ago towhen I was 16, please use a spud and some picks

I have fished 2" but I'm not heavy and have picks with me and these days I like 3-4" and with spud in hand

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:24 PM »
.......and have picks with me and these days I like 3-4" and with spud in hand

As do I. :tipup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:44 PM »
This is Mrs. Filet. I just read through this thread, and I'm appalled that anyone (H82LUZ) who would claim to have an "education" would use such atrocious spelling and grammar.
That's OK, I won't hold that against you................And I'll end that one right there due to my education.
Their trying to prevent deaths due to stupidity and poor judgment

It should be a contraction of "They are" aka "They're"
It will be there weather the ice is 1/2 thick or 12inches thick
The word is "whether'
Your representing a WAY smaller group of people than those on a road way
Again "you're" and roadway is one word, not two.
"Then" whenever they see someone one "on" the ice, that's their thought: "We're careless, reckless and pick any other thought you want. Out here out "our" biggest issue is littering as of right now.

I'm guessing that English wasn't your strong subject whilst matriculating through this so-called "education" you claim to have.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.