The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 13 FISHING BLACK BETTY 6061 IN-LINE ICE REEL. 1 YEAR REVIEW.  (Read 4175 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Here's my 1 year review on the 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 In-Line Ice Reel. Anyone else have one? Thoughts?

Link:
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Great review.  Thanks for putting it together.  I own two of these reels and you hit on a lot of good points about the reel.  A couple of thoughts I would add:

1.  This is the only metal body reel that 13 fishing uses.  I like the fact that it feels more solid than some of their "composite" (plastic) bodied reels however the metal does get really cold.  I've had situations where it was cold out and i had a little water on my hands and my hand got stuck to the reel for a second. 

2.  I seem to have more than my fair share of issues when reeling line in.  For some reason, the line wants to jump off the spool and start winding on the nut that holds the spool on the reel.  I've found you almost have to "lean" the reel so that the line winds on the spool reliably.  I noticed you were leaning the reel when you wound up the spool. 

3.  The drag on these reels is silent.  I didn't think i would miss the clicking of a spinning reel drag but i do.  It is really easy finding yourself reeling against the drag on these reels.  You feel like you are retrieving line but really you are just reeling against the drag and not gaining or are possibly losing line to the fish. 

4.  I've had the same issue you mentioned regarding the spool engaging.  It is definitely frustrating when it happens. 

All in all i like the reel for a specific purpose (small jigs that you want to minimize spin).  If you are using a jig 1/32 or bigger and 3 lbs test or more, I would prefer a spinning reel all day long.  But for small jigs, it is one of the better inline reels I've used. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought one of their 30$ spinning reels to put on a jig rod. Thing didn’t even spin out of the box. Swore 13fishing off right there.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  Good review.  My only question about that reel is one that holehopper answered.  I had been wondering about the drag on that one for some time.  I also miss the clicking sound the drag makes on a spinning reel when a fish runs it out. I own 3 of the No. 8 tackle CGI inlines, same company as 13 fishing, and the drags on those are a little funny acting. They work but adjusting the drag sometimes is all or nothing. Other times it can be adjusted in smaller amounts.  I also own an Eagle Claw and the Frabill 371.  Of the three brands I own, the Frabill seems to have the least amount of quirks.

Also you mentioned maybe getting the Black Betty Freefall in the future.  My buddy just bought the Freefall Ghost this year and really likes it.  I haven't checked out the drag on it yet but I have quickly tried the trigger feature on it.  I like it a lot. Very responsive.  The second you release the trigger the line stops spooling out and you get no back lash. Nice feature.  He got this on the Radioactive Pickle combo in a light action Tickle Stick.  I have a feeling I will be adding one of these to my rod case before next season.  13 fishing and No. 8 tackle makes quality gear and I have been a fan of both for quite a while.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
I hav a couple of those and a couple of the eagle claw products. I’ve had trouble with the drag setting on the ECs. With 6061 I’v only had a couple isolated problems the drag and a couple backlashes when I wasn’t paying close attention. Other than that I am very satisfied and have landed quite a few larger fish including Some LMB in the 3- 5# range and lake trout from 3#+ to over 10#. This is with 4# test targeting crappies or whitefish. The bigger lake trout just take a little patience, or a lot. Like this one below was over an hour and 15 to ice on ultralight rod and 4#. It was released. BUT! when it is in the high teens or above, I’ve been using the newer model casting reels (found at Marden’s  ;) )  and like them much better for smooth operation and consistent drag setting without any messing around. I find, with the 6061, I have to adjust it more to get the tension I want. On larger fish, sometimes you need to adjust quickly and be able to count on it working the way you want it to NOW.

I alsohave a couple of the early 13 8 teardrop reels. I like those too, except they are not level wind. Other than the occasional line loop due to slack,  I have had no issues with them.

You can only see a small piece of the reel. I’ve had this one about 3 years.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  Good review.  My only question about that reel is one that holehopper answered.  I had been wondering about the drag on that one for some time.  I also miss the clicking sound the drag makes on a spinning reel when a fish runs it out. I own 3 of the No. 8 tackle CGI inlines, same company as 13 fishing, and the drags on those are a little funny acting. They work but adjusting the drag sometimes is all or nothing. Other times it can be adjusted in smaller amounts.  I also own an Eagle Claw and the Frabill 371.  Of the three brands I own, the Frabill seems to have the least amount of quirks.

Also you mentioned maybe getting the Black Betty Freefall in the future.  My buddy just bought the Freefall Ghost this year and really likes it.  I haven't checked out the drag on it yet but I have quickly tried the trigger feature on it.  I like it a lot. Very responsive.  The second you release the trigger the line stops spooling out and you get no back lash. Nice feature.  He got this on the Radioactive Pickle combo in a light action Tickle Stick.  I have a feeling I will be adding one of these to my rod case before next season.  13 fishing and No. 8 tackle makes quality gear and I have been a fan of both for quite a while.
I agree with the lack of clicking on the drag. I miss it as well. Didnt think to mention it in the video.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hav a couple of those and a couple of the eagle claw products. I’ve had trouble with the drag setting on the ECs. With 6061 I’v only had a couple isolated problems the drag and a couple backlashes when I wasn’t paying close attention. Other than that I am very satisfied and have landed quite a few larger fish including Some LMB in the 3- 5# range and lake trout from 3#+ to over 10#. This is with 4# test targeting crappies or whitefish. The bigger lake trout just take a little patience, or a lot. Like this one below was over an hour and 15 to ice on ultralight rod and 4#. It was released. BUT! when it is in the high teens or above, I’ve been using the newer model casting reels (found at Marden’s  ;) )  and like them much better for smooth operation and consistent drag setting without any messing around. I find, with the 6061, I have to adjust it more to get the tension I want. On larger fish, sometimes you need to adjust quickly and be able to count on it working the way you want it to NOW.

I alsohave a couple of the early 13 8 teardrop reels. I like those too, except they are not level wind. Other than the occasional line loop due to slack,  I have had no issues with them.

You can only see a small piece of the reel. I’ve had this one about 3 years.
(Image removed from quote.)
That is a smasher of a lake trout.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
That is a smasher of a lake trout.
That reel did the job as did that HT 36” light rod! Took a while and the reel adjusted nicely easily to the heavier runs and catching up with the pump and reel thing when possible. I’m glad I caught all those big carp when I was a kid and the several hundred salmon at Pulaski. Good practice!!! It’s good to have gear you know you can count on.  :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I love mine . Got a big musky with it yesterday . Great drag system and plenty of power.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Too rich for my blood!!!!!Shop for black betty fishing reels costs

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$99.99
L&M Fleet Supply

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$109.99
Cabela's

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$69.99
eBay

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$99.99
Cabela's

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 13 FISHING BLACK BETTY 6061 IN-LINE ICE REEL. 1 YEAR REVIEW.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:12 PM »
I love mine . Got a big musky with it yesterday . Great drag system and plenty of power.
Thats awesome. I figured they would work fine with bigger fish.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Too rich for my blood!!!!!Shop for black betty fishing reels costs

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$99.99
L&M Fleet Supply

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$109.99
Cabela's

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$69.99
eBay

13 Fishing Black Betty …
$99.99
Cabela's
They are certainly more pricy than some of their competitors.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:17 AM »
Nice review Josh.  Did notice you had some skill pulling line off while keeping tension on the spool to drop your jig down.  You had mentioned that being a negative of spinning reels.  Looks much the same for that reel.  Buddy has one for laker fishing, with the heavier jigs it works great.  No need to strip line out.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Nice review Josh.  Did notice you had some skill pulling line off while keeping tension on the spool to drop your jig down.  You had mentioned that being a negative of spinning reels.  Looks much the same for that reel.  Buddy has one for laker fishing, with the heavier jigs it works great.  No need to strip line out.
As I said above, I have several types of in-line, teardrop and bait casting reels. I’ve adjusted them all to strip line off and NOT be free fall. I had enough of messes with backlashes. I also had fish grab the lure on the way down. What a mess!!!! Hand-lined a couple of em. then others just broke off. striping line off really doesn’t change sink time as you just pull off enough so it’s faster than the lure sinks.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:48 AM »
I do hand strip line often, mostly when I’m 3-4 ft off bottom, it can be a little faster. But I’m not married to hand stripping like with a spinning reel. The free fall on this in-line is great for 15+ feet of water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:23 AM »
My jigs made with used aluminum arrows they work great cross arms 12" apart main rear cross piece 6" front cross piece 12"  shaft 16" long with noc as my tip .they stand up in the snow or slush and when I get a strike they send out a good signal.  very sensitive and easy to measure depth. Handle wrapped with tape for a good grip.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.