New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: small boat harbor  (Read 20155 times)

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: small boat harbor
« Reply #150 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:48 AM »
that's not a grain silo. that's the old "freezer queen" factory. the only silo there is at south end marina near the south gap, where there is NO Nano dynamic building. he is talking about the small canal just north of the harbor between FQ and Nano
Exactly, we were in the canal between Nano and Freezer Queen toward the back end.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Does anyone know were to park by "union canal" just south of the small boat harbor?

Offline wydrew9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Does anyone know were to park by "union canal" just south of the small boat harbor?

From what i hear on the Union Canal thread is that you can park right next to the Father Baker Bridge.  I guess theres a lot just off the road.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Few weeks ago we parked on road near the stairs"west side of 5" there's a lot there but only a few cars can fit.  There was about 20 trucks parked on road and no one said anything near stairs if ya go to back there's.lot there too

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:44 PM »
A "lot" is giving it more credit than what it actually is...more like a patch with room to park maybe 5 trucks.. guys are parking alongside the road, and if you go under the Rt.5 bridge there is another patch for maybe like 5 or 6 cars
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:48 PM »
A "lot" is giving it more credit than what it actually is...more like a patch with room to park maybe 5 trucks.. guys are parking alongside the road, and if you go under the Rt.5 bridge there is another patch for maybe like 5 or 6 cars

That patch you refer to is a New York style parking lot. Down in Florida a parking lot by the water can hold a lot of vehicles.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. Anyone know how to drop down to the canal?

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Thanks for the info. Anyone know how to drop down to the canal?

Walk down the stairs.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I'm still sketchy stay to the right cause there's a storm drain to left that has moving water! And the lot I ment was one way in back ofcannal. All the way east it has room for like ten I think  but like I said in from ya can park on road we did and was fine. The one by stairs I never seen down to pavement haven't seen in summer yet but the got that no parking and handy cap it don't look like any reg if one or two in there

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Hey how far of a walk is it to 30 foe from the harbor can someone explain how to get out there

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Do I just walk around the wall and keep going I did stergeon a couple weeks ago a little to far for me from the looks of the harbor I see no reason why someone couldn't got out there but I've never done it and or been to the sbh so idk is it safe?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:26 AM »
Do I just walk around the wall and keep going I did stergeon a couple weeks ago a little to far for me from the looks of the harbor I see no reason why someone couldn't got out there but I've never done it and or been to the sbh so idk is it safe?
go back and read previous post in this thread on that subject... there's a reason no one goes out that way
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline drewski22281

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Can anyone offer some insight on the ice conditions for small boat this Saturday.  I'm hoping some of you with more ice experience than myself can make a prediction of how all this rain and warmth will effect ice.

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Can anyone offer some insight on the ice conditions for small boat this Saturday.  I'm hoping some of you with more ice experience than myself can make a prediction of how all this rain and warmth will effect ice.

With the amount of ice we have there it will be no problem getting out Saturday. Might be iffy near shore. Gonna tighten up after the weekend with colder temps coming :)

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:57 AM »
that ice is a whopping 16-18" thick. this little "warm-up" in the low 40s aint gonna hurt it. if any thing, all it's gonna do is make it into an ice rink after getting rid of the junk on top. shore ice is the only thing you have to watch out for. bring your cleats

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Feb 22, 2014, 12:02 AM »
we may lose some visibility, but that shouldn't hurt the fishing.

Offline christopherallenism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Feb 22, 2014, 01:02 AM »
I'm curious to see how many more pike wonder in there closer to ice out/ spawn. The last 2 time I've been out I've got 2 pike landed with 2 or 3 lost to lack of leader. Seems like alot more in there this year and I'm glad this ice will last into march
take it

Offline Dboshow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:11 AM »
Got that right!

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #168 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Fished today with about 25 other people.  One of the greatest days on the ice I've ever had.  I brought out all of my gear and had a bunch of family and friends come out.  All of the kids caught something, some of them were first timers.  We had snacks, a heater and a huge wind break to keep us all out of that fridgid breeze.  A big thank you to everyone else in the harbor who suffered through my near constant running of the gas auger. it didn't bother the fish under us at all but the noise is a bit much at that volume.  I seriously drilled more than 20 holes.  A big thumbs down to the NYS DEC website for having a near impenetrable puzzle for a licensing system.  Most of the people who came had to go through a 45 minute process to be issued a number online.  Any retailer like Dick's or Walmart informed them that the system is down and will be for the forseeable future.  They better un***k themselves before April 1st.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline omartruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Feb 23, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Was there n it looked like you guys had fun. That's what its all about very nice of you to take the time an do it. Did not even really hear you I was at the end of the pier. From 9 to 2 got about 9 keepers n a lot of dinks. Again very kool of you taking the time ty.

Offline christopherallenism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:11 PM »
I watche u set up that major wind break for a while, was wondering what the heck was ping on then I figured family even when I saw the kids sliding all over the ice. Great day on the ice.
take it

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:26 PM »
I also seen the big group as I went out. figured it was a great family affair when I seen the kids playing. nice day to get 'em out for a day they can remember  :thumbsup:

Offline 1952

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heck it's only money keep going!
« Reply #172 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Any word about perch of some size ending up in the harbor? This time of the year mostly by the freezer queen
channel you can do well there.  :whistle:
If it smells like fish what do You think it is???

Offline 1952

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heck it's only money keep going!
« Reply #173 on: Mar 01, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Any word about perch of some size ending up in the harbor? This time of the year mostly by the freezer queen
channel you can do well there.  :whistle:

Anybody fishing there anymore?
If it smells like fish what do You think it is???

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Anybody fishing there anymore?

The best report you'll ever find is the one you make yourself. There are people fishing there. Not trying to be a smart a$$, just sayin'.

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:23 PM »
fished the slot near freezer queen yesterday for an hour or so and marked very few fish and the normal minnow and smelt life didn't seem to be there either.  better off walking to the north side of the building.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Mar 07, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Ok tomrrow I'm going out alone jw if anyone been out to the sand piles? I tryed once when ice was foot thick but shore sucks stuck my foot in to my knee. I was near that parking lot off five guys said its ok to park there. A big tree came down . But I was wondering where anyone else has been getting down there I don't trust shore ice in that area and wanna get in there I've done good in years past. Or if anyone is intrested in going I'm headed out in am let me know I got my two man I'm useing but if someone wannted to go I got my clam big foot 4000 it says 5/6 it fits three comfy lol.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Ok tomrrow I'm going out alone jw if anyone been out to the sand piles? I tryed once when ice was foot thick but shore sucks stuck my foot in to my knee. I was near that parking lot off five guys said its ok to park there. A big tree came down . But I was wondering where anyone else has been getting down there I don't trust shore ice in that area and wanna get in there I've done good in years past. Or if anyone is intrested in going I'm headed out in am let me know I got my two man I'm useing but if someone wannted to go I got my clam big foot 4000 it says 5/6 it fits three comfy lol.
were going outside the sbh heard the ice at sand piles is still iffy dont forget to bring ur spud bar and check every foot or so just to be sure were getting jack perch and big bluegills on the freezerqueen outlet pretty nice out there went to my secret pond this am and had one nice fish on but snapped my 4lbs line i was jigging my favorite rapala too sucks i lost it oh well good luck and stay safe happy fishing everybody!
And so it begins........

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Mar 07, 2014, 04:20 PM »
warden was out today with a man who left his 6 person clam set up in the harbor and had it stolen.  he said he thought sportsmen were honest.

Offline BigT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Sportsmen are honest, Thiefs are not!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.