Author Topic: Tell me again how much fish I waste cleaning panfish with a electric knife  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
The results speak for themselves. ;D

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DN,
It’s not the knife, but the hand behind it that makes a difference.
Well done Sir! :clap:
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
He is a ninja after all, i would not expect anything less with a blade in his hand

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
LOLS!  Thanks guys!  Your posts made my day, and I really needed that about now!  LOLS!

;D

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DN, what knife you using?  I've got the standard Rapala electric, but it seems to struggle a little bit through walleye bones.  I'm thinking about upgrading, and I see guys seem to like both Mister Twister or the American Angler Pro.

Whatever you're using, it seems to work great!  Keep up the good work!

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Now what’s the fillet look like after you take off the rib cage?  ;)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
DN, what knife you using?  I've got the standard Rapala electric, but it seems to struggle a little bit through walleye bones.  I'm thinking about upgrading, and I see guys seem to like both Mister Twister or the American Angler Pro.

Whatever you're using, it seems to work great!  Keep up the good work!

I use the American Angler Pro.  They all seem to struggle with the bones in bigger fish, even the AA.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Now what’s the fillet look like after you take off the rib cage?  ;)

Smarty Pants.  There’s one in every crowd!  ;) ;D

DN

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  None. Unless you want to eat skin and skeleton..... ;D ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Good work Dom!  Nice catch too!

DN

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Thats some good eats there guys!!  So many Dif ways to clean those tasty morsels.....I use an elec and my regular rapala for the rib bones.  I need a fish fry....

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
if any of you are on hunting and fishing pages on Facebook, you'll understand how happy I am to finally see some pictures of FOOD without having to click "uncover photo"
theres a reason that these forums are better than Facebook groups!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
No FB for me ajv5148...
Thanks guys. Wound up with 4 bags each a little over two pounds each bag... Dean got his half and I got mine.  An hour and ten minutes (and a beer brake) to clean over 100 panfish with 2 guys...    ;D. I fillet and skin them and Dean cuts the ribs out with a knife.   
Heres some more... ;D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Thats pretty fast considering it takes a while to choke down a keystone light!   ;D ;D

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With a hand held fillet knife, the knife becomes part of your finger tips and you feel every scale and bone the knife comes in contact with.  You know when to stop cutting or when to turn the knife and follow the backbone and etc.  With a bulky electric fillet knife you don't have the feel and a lot of meat can be left behind by the novice.  Just what I have found to be true.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
With a hand held fillet knife, the knife becomes part of your finger tips and you feel every scale and bone the knife comes in contact with.  You know when to stop cutting or when to turn the knife and follow the backbone and etc.  With a bulky electric fillet knife you don't have the feel and a lot of meat can be left behind by the novice.  Just what I have found to be true.

I also prefer a hand held knife for that reason but just like it takes skill to use a hand held knife, it also takes skill to use a bulky electric knife. And they both have their place.

This was 32 fluke plus 5 sea robins and 3 seabass. 45lbs of fluke fillets alone. This took me just under 3 hours and thats all on my own with 2 hand held knives. About 4 minutes per fish. Biggest tip I can give someone is - you don't drive a vehicle without tires, why fillet fish without a sharpening device...

Just add water.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Nice job. Send me some fluke so I can check them for bones and i will let you know how you did..   ;D
And when you get old and arthritic and your hands don't work so good you will want a big handle to hold on to... ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Or shy a few digits lmao , on bigger fish I still use hand knives but pans and perch , electric works just fine , know matter what knife you use it’s a learning process and some guys are more skillful than others
 I don’t miss the days of standing over a filet table doing kings and (steelhead)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thats pretty fast considering it takes a while to choke down a keystone light!   ;D ;D

Oh no..Its goes down like water. If you look it's an empty 15 full of fish guts...  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Oh no..Its goes down like water. If you look it's an empty 15 full of fish guts...  ;D

😜lmbo

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yummm...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

They look great

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yummm...

, ,
That's why we fish on soft and hard water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.