Author Topic: Genz Crappie/Bluegill Rod  (Read 2606 times)

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
Genz Crappie/Bluegill Rod
« on: Dec 10, 2006, 07:42 PM »
I'm looking at buying a Genz Crappie/Bluegil 27" Light Rod. I've heard bad news about his reels so I will be adding a Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 to it. I'm wondering if anyone has pros/cons on his rods....

TightLines,
GatorBait

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Genz Crappie/Bluegill Rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Is it the Genz stix type of rod? I have a couple of these rods and they are pretty nice, although the reels are absolute junk. I think it would be a good unit with the cardinal on it though. I have replaced the reel on mine with an okuma, huge difference.

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Yeah, it's the same rod that you get if you were to buy the combo's. But you can also just buy the rod, which is what I'm planning on doing seeing I have my own reel for it.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:37 AM »
It has not hit the ice yet, but I bought a crappie rod by genz this year, looks like a qulaity rod, I'm willing to give the reel a shot.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Just bought the last two original berkley genz rods { 24" L } Gander had in Indianapolis, last night.Still think they are one of the best ice rods for the money that has been made. Don't know how they compare with the Genz Stix, but if you can find the original the're great. Also got them for 19.00 each.
Paul

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Whats the deal with the reels? Whats the problem with them? Drag? Kinda seems like everyone doesn't like them.

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Whats the deal with the reels? Whats the problem with them? Drag? Kinda seems like everyone doesn't like them.

The reels just arent very good, no better than something you would get on a 10 dollar combo. They are built cheap, have a bad drag system, i cant believe genz puts his name on them. The rods are nice though, i like them quite a bit. I have heard good things about the original berkely genz rod but cant say from personal experience.

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:06 PM »
The biggest gripe about the genz reels that I have heard is the infinite anti-reverse doesn't work all the time and becomes worse in colder conditions. For $30 I'd rather have an abugarcia or tica reel anyways, as I've never had any problems with them.

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:08 PM »
Yeah, thats too bad big Dave let them do that. I kinda thought the things he endorsed was the best or close to. I imagine they where trying to make it affordable to sell more of them. At least they give you the option to purchase them rods minus the reels.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Is this true for both series of Genz reel...Gold & Silver...or is this an issue with the Silver series?

Offline DRabbit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2006, 03:24 PM »
i dont know how the silver series are, but i had two of the gold series rods and both reels were junk.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:07 AM »
 the idea behind the genz reel is, the wider spool, to make the coils of line easier for lighter jigs to straighten out. i've not seen the reels myself, but, just saw an add for u.s.reels supercast 230 carbon fiber sx with a wider than normal spool. have not found a place locally or on line that sells them, there is a list of places that carry them on there web page, mostly florida and texas. supposed to be carried by cabelas and bass pro shop soon.

Offline bowzog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2007, 06:56 AM »
I know last year's reels(the black ones) were junk......drag was stiff and siezed periodically and the instant anti reverse was useless in cold temps. I haven't really tested the new redesigned ones yet(gold in color) but will soon. Anyone here tried 'em? Comments? :)
been out on the ice lately?......slip slidin' away.....slip slidin' away.....I sat down in my hut and now I'm slip slidin' away....

Offline keithdterry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007, 02:57 PM »
I would agree with most of you.  The rods are fantastic.  I found the crappie rod to be very sensitive without being wimpy and I really like the shorter handle.(Good for pencil gripping)  I tried a couple of the reels in the store and opted to buy the rod only.  I tried several combo and they all reeled crummy..... and that was at room temperature.  My advice would be to buy the rod, put on your on reel.
No coffee, no peace.  Know coffee, know peace.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.