Author Topic: Home made Tip Up Lights  (Read 20585 times)

Offline Go Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Home made Tip Up Lights
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Just a thought I had to maybe keep the battery from freezing was to use two different colored lights. Use one color when the tip up is set and another when it is tripped. Thinking the battery would always be active. Any one ever try this?

Offline jb7mmstw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:38 AM »
If you wire it up for AA bateries you could use Lithium batteries which arn't affected by the cold.  I use them in my trail camera in the winter and there good for over 900 pictures.  Regular batteries in the cold won't last one night.  There alot more expensive but should last all winter and hey... if we wanted to save money we'ed go to the store and BUY fish ;D.

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Just took down the Christmas lights last night and had a string that was not working up to my wife's specifications.    ;)   Lucky me....  So I grabbed a tip-up, a 9 volt battery and headed to the shop.  My problem was that 9v was too much for the light and it would quickly burn out (i.e 2 - 3 seconds).  Have any of you had that problem?  My solution was to gang 4 lights in parallel.  Now when the flag goes up there is enough light to read by!  The down side is the size of the contraption.  It it too much to put by the flag, so I'm working on a removable stand that will have a quick attach mechanism to the base of the flag spring.  I'll be modifiying my prototype and will post pictures if I get it to my liking.
My plan is to make something that will be removed when not in use.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Macker, Try the bulbs from a 25 light or fewer string. They handle more voltage.

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:45 AM »
Hmmm.  25 or fewer lights on a string...I'll have to see if we have any of those.  If we do I'm certain that that sting will experience "issues" and need to be replaced.   ;)

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:06 PM »
I took Muski Nuts idea but went one step farther and also added an old smoke detector to it now it shines and screams like a banshee............... .
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Smoke detectors....hmmm yeah, I have a few of those in the house.  One or two might experience some technical difficulties....   ;)

Thanks for the advice.  I picked up some parts at Radio Shack last night and will be tinkering in the coming weeks.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Anybody know where I can find those ball switches that are replacing the mercury ones? No luck at my local Radio Shack.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Well, since I started this thread, I've gotten alot of excellent ideas from you.  I especially like the smoke detector idea.
Macker, hope to see some pics of your rig.  ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:59 PM »
Here try this page i had my dad working on a setup up for me and my son.
http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=254016+1447464&N=1323038%20254113&Ns=P_SField&RefType=Header

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2007, 08:23 AM »

Macker, hope to see some pics of your rig.  ;D

They don't call them prototypes for nothing......
My wiring interfered with the spindle's rotation.  It would work well with big baits!
I'll have to re wire it to keep the wire parallel with the top of the flag staff.  I wasn't able to spend as much time on the initial concept as I wanted, but testing quickly showed the flaws.... :-\

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:28 AM »
They don't call them prototypes for nothing......
My wiring interfered with the spindle's rotation.  It would work well with big baits!
I'll have to re wire it to keep the wire parallel with the top of the flag staff.  I wasn't able to spend as much time on the initial concept as I wanted, but testing quickly showed the flaws.... :-\

Trial and error eventually leads to perfection.   ;D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:39 AM »
Saranacjoe, Thanks for the link. I'll have to get a few of them to try.

Offline Dead Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Way to much engineering going on here.  ;D

You could get the small cylume lights (glow siticks) that are either clip on for rod tip or straight (which can be scotch taped on). There used for night fishing, most shops should have some type. I have used these on the metal arm of the tip up just below the flag or on the flag. You can get a 3 pack for under $3, so it's fairly cheap too compared to buying batteries.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:33 AM »
You can get a 3 pack for under $3, so it's fairly cheap too compared to buying batteries.

Our Dollar store had them 10 for a dollar.  Check out plces like that.  Also, ebay always has them for sale in bigger lots.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Saranacjoe, Thanks for the link. I'll have to get a few of them to try.
Anytime I'm getting 10 For me and my son, Not sure if we'll use them this year with the late start but we'll be ready for next. Only the ice gods know. Got battery holders and the leds already if anyone wants a link for cheap leds I'll get the link from my dad. Go Team NY

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Well finally got the switches and got one done. Here are some Pics if any one wants a parts list let me know and i post a list.

The switch is under the black shrink tubing.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:35 PM »
please post a parts list...

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Hey Saranacjoe, that looks like ET's finger!!!!

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Saskman here is the parts list with part #'s and where they were purchased. Hope you find this infomation helpful.
   Part List for LED Tip UPs

ALL THE PART'S I BOUGHT WERE FROM DIGIKEY EXCEPT FOR THE TILT SWITCHS

WHICH ARE FROM MOUSER (ADDRESS'S BELOW)

THE LED'S ARE RED DIFF. PART #160-1127-ND    PRICE .19 EA OR $1.45 FOR 10

THE BATTERY HOLDER IS FOR 2 "AA" PART #BC12AAL-ND PRICE .60 EACH IF YOU BUY 10
   OR MORE THEY ARE ONLY .54 EACH

THE RESISTORS ARE 33 OHM'S 1/4 WATT PART #33QBK-ND PRICE .27 FOR 5 or $3.82 for 200

THE TILT SWITCH IS FROM MOUSER PART #107-2005-EV PRICE $1.51 EACH OR $1.26 WHEN YOU
   BUY 10 OR MORE

EACH COMPANY OFFERS A FREE CATALOGE WHICH YOU CAN ORDER ON LINE

====================================================================================

THE WEB ADDRESS FOR DIGIKEY IS WWW.DIGIKEY.COM OR THE MAIL ADDRESS IS

DIGI-KEY CORPORATION

701 BROOKS AVE. SOUTH

THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN

56701-0677

TELE PHONE # 1(800)-344-4539 FOR ORDERS

THE WEB ADDRESS FOR MOUSER IS WWW.MOUSER.COM OR THE MAIL ADDRESS IS

MOUSER ELECTRONICS

1000 NORTH MAIN STREET

MANSFIELD, TX

TELE PHONE # 1 (800)-346-6873 for orders

MikeThePike

« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:10 PM »
I made up all sorts of homemade lights and used store bought ice fishing lights and you still have to rely on a power source which can go dead. My solution, use the sun to power my "lights" I ordered glow in the dark paint and will be coating the flags and wooden uprights on my heritage lakers for night striper fishing. A half hour in the sun before it gets dark and they'll glow all night. No sun, just shine your headlkights on em for about 5-10 minutes.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:02 AM »
used an old smoke decector and came up with this. works good i just insulated the batteries in thin styrofoam and they lasted all night.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 PM »
also there are water activated batteries, I am trying to find out where we get replacements for our life boats.......there a small battery aprox 6 inches tall by 2 inches wide

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.