Author Topic: Lake Ontario Ice Salmon  (Read 686 times)

Offline Brad Fishes

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Ontario Ice Salmon
« on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Hi everyone,
                  My name is Bradley, this is my first post on the forum :) I've been ice fishing for a few seasons now and am just starting to plan out my 2015/2016 ice trips... looks like it'll be mostly 2016 the way the weather is lol. I saw some videos online where people were catching a ton of coho salmon through the ice on lake Superior in about 60fow. Coho is a fish I've always wanted to catch but for some reason it has always evaded me :( While  would love to try Superior, unfortunately it's too far from my house. So I was wondering if this same or a similar fishery was available on Lake Ontario? I know there are Coho in the lake but I can't find any info online as to whether or not they're catchable through the ice!

Thank you,
Bradley

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Ontario Ice Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Sure they would be catch-able through the ice.
The only problem will be finding safe ice in the lake.
Other than the Bay of Quinte (not a good salmon area) I don't know of any area's known to be good/safe ice fishing area's.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 02:43 PM »
You would have a better chance traveling up to Georgian bay to try, but with the decrease in salmon populations on the Ontario sides of the great lakes thanks to our reduced stocking, I think your chances would be pretty slim. last few years the salmon ice fishing reports out of GB have been pretty bleak.

Offline Brad Fishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Huh... That's too bad :( I'll be fishing BOQ at least once this winter for giant walleye and was thinking I could mix it up and get some salmon in the main lake. But looks like I'm better off staying on the bay XD Thanks for the info!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Around eastern Ontario I think you would be better off to target giant lakers through the ice on Lake O. Never tried it myself but have seen reports of some salmon sized lakers being caught. As others have said ice conditions are the biggest concern, these last two years I have fished bays and harbours in Lake O targeting pike and panfish but it's been two of the best ice years in the last 30 years. If we get a "normal" ice year you will need to be even more cautious.
@jzuliniak

Offline Brad Fishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:54 PM »
Ya, I guess I'll stick with the BOQ for my walleye fishing this season, maybe head to Simcoe for lakers and whitefish :) Thanks for the tips!

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Fished for Lakers a few time last season near the gap (BOQ), pulled in some nice ones, biggest about 20lb, just have to be carefull of the ice. You get the odd white fish as well. The last 2 years were good but a few years before that it was open water. Just be carefull...
Tim

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Stay off the main lake. She's mean, if ice does form. The waves will break it up. Stay in the bays.
Look at me I can walk on water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.