The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Cold Weather, Making some ice  (Read 867 times)

Offline drolrevo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cold Weather, Making some ice
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 02:30 PM »
 It was really warm and raining this morning up here in northern mich. now its freezing outside and everything turned to ice.. i bet those lakes are freezing up nicely  ;D should be real good ice soon

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
Re: Cold Weather, Making some ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Yeah i think it will be a good season. I fished in GR area on Saturday and had a blast, but then Sunday it rained and warmed up. That was kind of depressing, but today, man its cold. Couple days of this will replace what had been lost on the day of warm up. I just hope we dont get alot of snow.

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Yeah that rain locked it right up. Although it did eat some of it away.
Death from above

Offline drolrevo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Ya as of right now it is 16 out.. but tommarows high is 21... the day after that like 18. I bet we will have really good ice before next year  :tipup: i have not even made it out yet, not good enough ice.. all that snow messed it up, but now its mostly all gone  :)

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:05 PM »
  I checked a couple of lakes today that last week had heavy snow cover on them. This week the snow is gone and it is making ice like mad. It is 8 degrees here now and suppose to go below 0 tonight.

Offline Big Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:05 PM »
  I checked a couple of lakes today that last week had heavy snow cover on them. This week the snow is gone and it is making ice like mad. It is 8 degrees here now and suppose to go below 0 tonight.

I am up north of Traverse City in the Leelanau Penninsula, and it is a balmy 10 degrees right now (10 PM Monday night).  It usually is a few degrees warmer here - I am about 2 miles inland from the big lake, so your lakes must be popping with new ice.  I just hope a couple of our larger lakes cover over, it has been really windy and I hate to see them get all stirred up.  Wonder if I can just pretend I went christmas shopping this weekend and sneak out an extra few hours?

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:04 AM »
we will have to wait in allendale because we got 3 in of snow at the same time the cold moved in.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:07 AM »
I am up north of Traverse City in the Leelanau Penninsula, and it is a balmy 10 degrees right now (10 PM Monday night).  It usually is a few degrees warmer here - I am about 2 miles inland from the big lake, so your lakes must be popping with new ice.  I just hope a couple of our larger lakes cover over, it has been really windy and I hate to see them get all stirred up.  Wonder if I can just pretend I went christmas shopping this weekend and sneak out an extra few hours?
[/

The lakes over looked like a sheet of glass yesterday. I think Ice cleats are going to be a must for a while .

Offline Big Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:34 PM »
[/

The lakes over looked like a sheet of glass yesterday. I think Ice cleats are going to be a must for a while .

That is a price that I am willing to pay.  be really nice when there is enough to run a snowmobile or quad out, I am getting lazy in my old age and have too much gear (if that is really possible)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.