The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: spoons for panfish  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
spoons for panfish
« on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Hello everyone
 Sorry it's been a long time since I've been here, I was wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts or experiences with spoons for panfish? Colors, brands, sizes, jigging action and with or without bait, I've recently picked up a few demon spoons, a couple slender spoons and a small clam jigging minnow. But haven't been out yet this year and was curious about others opinions and hoped we could all learn a few things, as always thanks for your input and sharing.

Wollypog

Offline Rise_Form

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: spoons for panfish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:12 PM »
I'm more of a jig guy myself.  But I have had good success with swedish pimples tipped with either waxies or a minnow head for crappie and perch.  Smallest size they sell, which I believe is 1/10.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I've always been a jig guy as well but have had success using ice flies as well, take care and good fishing.

Wollypog

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Can always try the new acme tungsten kastmaster that came out. smaller profile but still has the weight to get down there.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Do most people typically use gentle tight short jigging actions or longer lift and drop then shorter jigging movements? Do the fish usually have to be in a pretty aggressive mood to be successful?

Wollypog

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:49 PM »
Pimples are good... Big fan of snare spoons thisbyear....its like a hali it has a chain about an inch long.. Also like frostee spoons
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:10 AM »
Love using spoons, the small sizes of demon, slender, tingle, kast master, pretty much anything. Usually can pick out larger panfish and better chance of catching predators that are around too.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:54 AM »
I'm really fond of the Johnson Snare spoons. They are economical, and they're a single hook, so I can tip them. It's illegal to tip trebles here, so the single hook is a big perk for me. That little bit of delayed drop with the chain seems to entice strikes, too.  I use the 1/16oz for panfish, and the 1/8 for bigger stuff.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:19 AM »
Do most people typically use gentle tight short jigging actions or longer lift and drop then shorter jigging movements? Do the fish usually have to be in a pretty aggressive mood to be successful?

Wollypog

I'll use a big ripping motion to try and call in fish if I'm not marking anything. Once there are fish on the screen it's either a small rapid vibration in place, or small vibrations while slowly bringing it up. Depends what you are tipping it with too, with live bait they are more likely to hit it without much movement. With plastics or no bait, you're going to need to get them jazzed up a bit before they'll smack it. Spoons fish a lot different than regular jigs but are a blast when you get on a school of active fish!
Da Pack!

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Hello everyone
That was going to be my next question, to bait or not to bait, I've heard some people dangle wax worms off two hooks. And hook a third across two of the hooks so if they steal one they might gobble their way up  the hooks for the other one, what about opinions on a minnow or minnow head? Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, good fishing.

wollypog

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Depends on what I'm targeting and what body of water I'm on. Usually just 1 waxie, or 2-5 spikes. If I have minnows, almost always just the head, even for pike/walleye. Also I pretty much never fish spoons bare.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:12 PM »
Shoot i put whole minnows on all the time i like hooked just behind the back of the head for perch but in the tail for eyes..... I usually only use a piece of a minnow if im jigging aggressively

Offline RemiB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2021, 09:30 PM »
I've been fishing the Sitka Smelt Sticks this year! Either Kroger or Meijer had em on sale for like $2 bucks a piece and they did really well up on Grand Lake! It's just got a single hook hanging from a chain (no treble) which I like for panfish.  I usually bounce em off the bottom till I get marks on my flasher then do either bigger slow jigs or just kinda wiggle my rod above em.  I was putting minnow heads and waxies on em and was hooking up pretty consistently.

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2021, 01:03 PM »
Hi Everyone
I'm also wondering how many of you use drop chain and single hook with your spoons and how often people use split rings on the spoon eyelets? As always thanks for your replies, hopefully it will help others learn new things as well, good fishing.

wollypog

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:54 PM »
I do.... Love it... Especially on a light bite... The added action of the chain is nice.... I will say of all the baits ive bought with a chsin i like the hook on the johnsons snare spoon the best... Halis hooks are very bendy.... Snare spoons hook is beefier

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.