The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Black Fiska jig?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Fish_Slayer11

• IceShanty Rookie
Black Fiska jig?
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:14 AM »
Anyone have luck with black jigs in general for panfish, mainly gills, I ordered a few new Fiska jigs, also ordered a full white glow jig it appears with a red dot.  Never used these, but for the sake of my comment I'm fairly new to ice fishing, and so havent expanded my array of jigs.  Anyway i bought few jigs in different colors to try, so hopefully get some more ice and cold weather.  On another note, anybody have much luck with moon jigs?  we have a guy locally that sells them in about every color but i have tied so many its not even funny, and cant catch near the fish i do on Fiska.  any advice or just simply trial and error?

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Black Fiska jig?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:31 AM »
I prefer the Fiskas and is really the only jig I use anymore. Try the school bus or clown in  the glow . The Fiskas are made from Tuengsten and are heavier and sink faster so your line stays tighter and you can feel or see the bite. Tighter is always good.

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:32 AM »
The pearl color is really good !

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:16 AM »
ive done well this year with the black fiska with glow dots on it.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 AM »
fiska size 3 is my choice lure. i think i own them all or it seems i do. i get them at whole sale price, so it is affordable.
the black is been hot on murky waters and the black with glow eyes and green glass dot (try to find them where the green glass dot glows too as they changed them to not glow) instead of red seems to work best for gills and perch. i bought 4 more yesterday and some other glows. i use a uv light when shopping for them to see what glows best. school bus yellow has changed over the years. it is now darker than when first out. it would be first choice to see what color is working. yellows are good too as are dark blue.
fiska is good because the hook wire is very small in diameter and does not bend, it will snap before bending so don't try to change the angel. they are also very sharp "sticky sharp" and hardly need a quick honing. they teach you a great knot to use so you get more action from it being loose on your line and that helps too.
i own some old school baits like moon glows, but just for the sake of having them. they never get fished.
marmooska is similar in most ways and other companies are trying to copy or improve the fiska lures. there are two or three others copying them now that i have seen.

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:41 AM »
I always start out with a black teardrop, and lots of times don't change.. I primarily fish a very clear lake in mostly less than tfow. I have a lot of other stuff but the 89 cent black teardrop works for me. Some gave specks on them and some have just about no paint left.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:54 AM »
never tried black. But the old man says they work great in early morning or murky water. I always used a green glow or red glow.

Offline cnewby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:57 AM »
heres a couple tungstens I've made recently.  They work great!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Black is one of my base colors and am a plastics only user. Have found that when fish are down there, curious/looking but not biting, going to a smaller offering that's basically black will get them to a least peck at it. Many of the natural foods underwater are small and dark. Fish may be curious to colorful movement just not really hungry for a sizable meal but, as we do, have little trouble munching on a small bite sized treat put in it's face between meals. Dark Purples, Greens and Browns have similar results

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:41 AM »
I've always switched to darks and blacks in the low light hours. I think baitfish do the same as light fades. I know in the summer it makes a difference and my general rule is bright days mean bright and flashy, darker days, more subdued or less color. Works for me.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:02 PM »
ive done well this year with the black fiska with glow dots on it.

x2
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:01 PM »
fishkas are the only jig i use they sure haul up the fish any fishka is great

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:07 PM »
The black Fiskas 4mm is my favorite jig for sure !! Pair that with a Micro Nuggie and it's lights out. I always have black on then tinker with the colors on the Nuggies.  :thumbsup: Good Luck !!!!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:26 PM »
My favorite jig is a 4mm black Fiska jig with a micro noogie.  I have pounded the bottom soo much with it the paint is starting to come off it, LOL.. I ALWAYS carry 3 of these but have never lost one yet and I did land a 27 1/2 inch northern on it last weekend in the MWO with 2 lb test and still got the lure, :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.