Author Topic: [2018 Ice Fishing Picture/Story Contest]  (Read 7785 times)

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: [2018 Ice Fishing Picture/Story Contest]
« Reply #30 on: Nov 03, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Flying the Shanty Flag on an foggy early morning on Cascade Lake, Idaho on my first time perch fishing with the guys traveling up from Utah.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Cousin fishing trip, camera is in the freshly drilled hole. Fishing might not of been great but hanging with the family always is.

Offline muskyjo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:17 AM »
In, not sure if my first time trying was accepted?

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:33 AM »
During my 2018 season, I dedicated much of my time to exploring new lakes on foot with a my new Nils master 8 inch hand auger. Contrary to most, I enjoy the cold crisp air on a peaceful serene lake, as much as trekking, hand drilling, etc. To me, it enhances the experience.  As such, I don't bother with shelter, gas augers, etc.

Anyways, on one such outing, I stumbled onto the this given lake's biggest secret. Known mainly for big trout, abundant lakers, and a handful of monster pike, I was not expecting to crush schools of jumbo perch. A couple hours of non stop action yielded a nice family dinner of 9 to 13 inchers.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:44 AM »
I will try once again to post a picture.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:45 AM »
Failure, once again

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Yup. It worked for me last year. No luck this year. I even contacted PostImage and got no response. Getting discouraged

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:42 PM »
1st time in many years we were able to fish Sebago do to the ice conditions, we tried to make the most of it by getting there early and watch a beautiful sunrise to start our day.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:54 PM »
in

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:16 AM »
When I reply to a post, I will print my reply, and if I wish to add a photo, I hit the blue Add image to post. It will tell me to choose images. I hit that box and it sends me to my documents library. I choose My Pictures and it takes me to my albums. I pick a photo and hit open. It starts to download, and when it gets to 100%. Nothing. Like I said, I had no trouble last year. EasyPeezy. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Missoula

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I am on a PC.  I will try your suggestions. Thanks

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:01 PM »

Rocco (4) and Hunter (7) getting a free ride with the equipment after a long day on the hardwater.   Funny thing is they seem to get their energy back once we got back to the truck.  Proud to be working on the next generation of ice fishing maniacs.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Nothing special just another cold day on the ice.

Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2018, 09:02 AM »

This pic just looks cold...-7 ....got the Beavah Hat on...somewhere in NH.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I didn't have much luck actually catching fish last year, and during this trip I didn't get a single flag... But I tried to make the most of it and entertained myself photographing the really beautiful ice.

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:38 AM »

It may not be a big one, it's more important than that. It was my boy's first laker he ever caught.  He caught it jigging after about 5 hours of trying everything in the tackle box lol...needless to say, he's now hooked on the hardwater for life & I couldn't be happier!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Just a few more days. Get your entry in posted by midnight dec 2!
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 28, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Nice one!
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:53 AM »
My daughter and I, her first time out on the ice (same pic in my avatar).  We got out there early, and throughout the morning she managed to wet both legs past her knees by stepping in holes - the second time she actually moved the chair we had put over an unused jigging hole to prevent her stepping in it, and promptly dropped her foot right through it.  She was getting pretty unhappy, and then we started getting some flags and she helped land this guy.  She pretty quickly forgot about the wet feet :)

-Matt

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #49 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Three part story that I will remember for a lifetime. Took my 8 year old niece out in the boat for some trolling around the lake for big rainbows. She had a ball that day catching 39 trout and keeping a few for the smoker. It got to the point that she says “here uncle Mikel, you real up the fish, My arms hurt.” I reeled up one fish that day and we called it a day. Later that year, she had found a present underneath the Christmas tree of an ice rod (of course from her uncle). She looks at it funny as she opens it and asks “what do you do with such a little pole?” I explained to her what it was for and her eyes lit up thinking she was going to get to go fishing year round. Of course, The very next day, I have to take her out ice fishing because she has to try out the new pole. It was a whopping -22 degrees that day, and I knew it was going to be a cold one for the little turkey. Brought the propane heater and we sat in the hut for about 2 hours before her feet got cold. All of a sudden my finder lights up with this hog and I show it to her on the screen. Her eyes light up and she goes “think we will catch it?” I couldn’t even reply before her rod doubles over and goes screaming. She almost lost the pole down the hole, but caught it and fought the big rainbow all by herself. Unfortunately I didn’t have a stick for her to hold, and she refused to hold the big lunker up. We fished for about another half hour with nothing to show for it, and someone’s feet got cold again. We packed up, and headed for a warm fireplace. As we were driving back, she asked if she could shoot her new BB gun that she had also gotten for Christmas. Of course her uncle was going to be the one to teach her about gun safety. I let her shoot her BB fun a few times before I pulled out the ol .22 my father had boughten for me at her age. I let her shoot it at a couple of beer cans and she went 7/8 shots. It will be a memory that I will never forget, and I’m sure she won’t either. I think I have a new fishing partner, as she has been asking me when the hardwater is coming this year, and Mother Nature just will not cooperate!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:22 AM »
The sun is finally rising and we have high hopes that it will bring some warmer temps. Was 2 degrees F when we arrived. Was 0 degrees when we left. As cold as it was, it was also the best day of ice fishing (or any fishing) I have ever had. Iced over 80 brookies and 20 cutthroat all on jigs. We were too busy taking fish off and dropping lines to take any more pictures.

It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #51 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:47 AM »

It was a glorious day, bitter cold and sunny.  There's nothing quite like that first day out on the ice...the anticipation, the excitement.  Not just for that day, but for the entire upcoming ice season.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #52 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Waiting patiently for first ice, finally a good cold snap cold enuf to turn the soft water into hard water. It didn't  take long to put a good layer of solid ice- a few inches is all I need. Tried drilling many holes in the shallows looking down under the ice at the fish which were easily spooked as we walked towards them. Drilling hole after hole was easy with the thin ice but the fish always wanted to spook and "trolling" around wasn't working as well as I hoped in my day dreams..

Staying in the same spot jigging finally I was able to lure in a lunker and turned out to be a Beautiful Blackwater strain Rainbow Trout here in British Columbia.. 8 pound range, was setting the bar pretty high for first ice, and it looked just like I was hoping while daydreaming at work all week..
  :)

~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #53 on: Dec 01, 2018, 03:15 AM »
 Wish we could post couple more pics would sure help with the story.

This was my sons first time ever fishing for Lakers.  over the last few years he has become a great pan fish and tip up fisherman for walleye salmon and pike. I have been dieing to get him out to jig Lakers. Finally ice was good enough to get him out. It was a cold morning at -6 we were on 4" of brand new hard clear ice. We walked out to our spot drilled a few holes and set up fish finders. Because my son had never fished deep water over 100' I helped him set up the Marcum and his jig pole. On the first drop of the lure a mark showed up on the bottom within a split sec. and that marked started to charge his lure. The mark came up and met the lure about half way down the water column.
When the line went slack,quickly I explained the fish had the lure no sooner i say that he closes the bail on the pole reeled up the slack and set the hook.....BAM! Fish on.keep in mind this is within the first 5 mins of setting foot on the ice. As it would turn out. The boy would go on to land 26 Lakers that day all by noon. By the time we left the kid was a pro and had a new favorite fish to catch we would spend the rest of the ice season chasing lake trout. The nite before a fishing trip I'd ask him "buddy what do you want to fish for tmrw" everytime the answer was the same......"LAKERS!" puts a huge smile on a dads face when your son has the same passions in life.this was not the biggest fish he caught that day but was his first ever laker. And later in the season the kid showed up 2 of my buddy's myself and my father,out fishing us all on more than 1 occasion. Even coming up with his own technique to get finicky fish to bite.such a proud dad!!
 Thanx for letting me share this story and pic. Sorry the story is so long winded. Tight lines everyone!!

Offline LadyAngler1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • New to ice fishing
« Reply #54 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:13 PM »
My first pike ever which was also my first fish caught on a tip up. Couldn’t have been a more perfect day. Sun was shining as brightly as my smile. I remember my heart racing the second I began pulling on that line and could feel the weight of the fish. I knew instantly that it was a giant. I did everything in my power to keep that baby hooked and in the end was successful. One of my proudest moments. Caught December 2017.

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:51 PM »

A beautiful sunrise over chaumont bay, Ny on a cold morning last winter.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Snowdogging out to a sleepover fishing trip on a remote lake near the Canadian border.  Almost 1,800 pounds and it pulled it up a tall, steep boat ramp (with another guy in the back sled).

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline waterfowl_warrior09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:42 PM »
If you drill it,they will come! Snuck out on some early ice after some perch in the shallows and happened to catch my buddy nose down scoping the scenery. Can almost see the shipping channel in the background,always a little goofy feeling when you're catching perch through the ice and can hear boats fishing walleyes and see freighters roll through.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:16 PM »
My buddies and I pretty much always fish into the dark. For me, sitting in the flip over after dark hammering big Crappie with my friends is what I look forward to all year long. On this night, we did well, I was walking back to my shelter and thought, these are the days we wait for and I took this picture.  Can't wait to get back out there.

👮👮👮

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Last day to enter.  :tipup:
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>