Author Topic: nils power auger feedback  (Read 838 times)

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
nils power auger feedback
« on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:15 AM »
If you own a nils power auger. . Please share your experience including performance and length of time you had it. Differences between the 25cc and 35cc.

I've own 3 strikemaster augers within the past 2 years and now it's time to call it quit.  Won't be spending my money on them anymore

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: nils power auger feedback
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Lots of threads on here about this set up but while I've had my 270 for only a year I love it.  I think the 35 is lower rpm but higher torque.  I think most guys run the 27.  I had the nils w/o the head and decided to get the power head last summer.  So much lighter and faster than that old Jiffy 30.  The Tanaka is rated for 600 hours or something absurd so it'll be my last auger I hope.  All 2 cycles have their quirks and I choose to run E0 gas and 80:1 Amsoil.  The thing just rips.  The Nils augers are great but have a rap of being temperamental.  Handle with care and avoid dirty ice.  3 augers in 2 years is brutal for any brand.  If you have the scratch I'd totally recommend the Tanaka Nils.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:22 AM »
I have had one for 4 or 5 years.  I love it.  A whole lot lighter to carry around than my other one.  runs like a top but you need to be careful of the blade.  It will dull easily if you run it into any dirt on the ice.

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:01 AM »
My 27 is 6 years old, I purchased a spare blade and one spark plug. I had a Jiffy before, unreal difference. Had one blade sharpened by Frank and it really cuts! It's cold blooded and takes a few pulls to start in extreme cold. I could mod the carb but it's not worth it. You can't go wrong with them. D

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Lots of threads on here about this set up but while I've had my 270 for only a year I love it.  I think the 35 is lower rpm but higher torque.  I think most guys run the 27.  I had the nils w/o the head and decided to get the power head last summer.  So much lighter and faster than that old Jiffy 30.  The Tanaka is rated for 600 hours or something absurd so it'll be my last auger I hope.  All 2 cycles have their quirks and I choose to run E0 gas and 80:1 Amsoil.  The thing just rips.  The Nils augers are great but have a rap of being temperamental.  Handle with care and avoid dirty ice.  3 augers in 2 years is brutal for any brand.  If you have the scratch I'd totally recommend the Tanaka Nils.

My first auger was the honda lite.. that thing gave me so much issues things like throttle cable falling off...throttle sticking, cap not venting until it finally die. It was replaced under warranty so I sold it. My 2nd unit was bought while the honda was in service cuz I couldn't wait as it was taking 2 plus week at the repair shop.  That unit had a clutch issue right after I sold the honda and replaced it with another lazer mag.

The new lazer mag barely cuts out of the box so the 1 year old auger and the new bit on the new auger went right back to the shop.  I don't know about anyone else but I think that's enough. $1500 within 2 years is too much.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2015, 02:54 PM »
It can happen.  I get snake bit on a number of mechanical things.  Most recently diesel trucks but my augers have been good.  The Jiffy 30 I had was 30 years old and never had a problem but it was heavy.  I sold it for $100 and feel the guy got a good deal cuz it ran like new...and as stated I love the Tanaka so far.

Good,luck with the next one whatever it is!

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2015, 04:52 PM »
It can happen.  I get snake bit on a number of mechanical things.  Most recently diesel trucks but my augers have been good.  The Jiffy 30 I had was 30 years old and never had a problem but it was heavy.  I sold it for $100 and feel the guy got a good deal cuz it ran like new...and as stated I love the Tanaka so far.

Good,luck with the next one whatever it is!

I would like to try the tanaka for a change. What do I have to loose, I've already lost $1500. I will be selling my auger after I get it from service and start over next year. I dont like the jiffy cuz like everyone say its too heavy.  I may think of clam but I haven't heard much review on that so probably be heading towards the tanaka.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:06 PM »
I had the Nils for a few years. I now use the Tanaka 270 but I no longer use a Nils. I now go with a Mora adapted to the Tanaka. Many folks going this way. Several of the hand augers are an easy adapt to the Tanaka and do a superb job. I think better.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:13 PM »
I have the Tanaka 270 with an adapter for StrikeMaster 7" , was drilling 30" of ice today with it.   I also have a Mora 6" that fits the same adapter.

Got the Tanaka 270 off Amazon for $408,  already had the augers.  Adapter was $30 from a local machinist.

gofish33

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I have a Tanaka hybrid, 270 and a 350 tanaka. Had them now for a long time without any problems except 2. Gas cap split from the top and fuel tank rubber grommet was eaten away by ethanol. I love my homemade hybrid, I took the 350S minus the gearbox and mated it with 24:1 gearbox from a 262 along with basket case. It is super fast with all nils shafts including the new 10. I would never change the shaft to anything but a different size Nils, too many issues with shims and replacement blades not being even. Nils blades are razor sharp but touchy, don't bang them or drill them into dirty ice. Money well spent, just open the throttle, it's like a badger on steroids!

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:16 PM »
I have a Tanaka hybrid, 270 and a 350 tanaka. Had them now for a long time without any problems except 2. Gas cap split from the top and fuel tank rubber grommet was eaten away by ethanol. I love my homemade hybrid, I took the 350S minus the gearbox and mated it with 24:1 gearbox from a 262 along with basket case. It is super fast with all nils shafts including the new 10. I would never change the shaft to anything but a different size Nils, too many issues with shims and replacement blades not being even. Nils blades are razor sharp but touchy, don't bang them or drill them into dirty ice. Money well spent, just open the throttle, it's like a badger on steroids!

I was thinking I could put my lazer hand auger to use as well..by just buying the tanaka powerhead.  My brother have access to a cnc machine at work so he can pretty much fabricate anything.  I think this might be one of the best ways to go without buying extra auger bits. Thanks all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.