Author Topic: Need Advice on Equipping New Wheel-House!  (Read 399 times)

Offline tarfu43

• IceShanty Rookie
Need Advice on Equipping New Wheel-House!
« on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Hey, all.  I just bought my first wheel-house;  a used 18ft. Custom Cottage 6-holer.  Being a newbie to the wheel-house game, I'd like some advice on what type of auger to get (electric or propane), and what type of generator (brand and wattage).  I've got a good ol' 2-stroke Jiffy auger that I've had for 10+ years, but I don't really want to stink-up the house with exhaust!

I'd really appreciate any advice ya'll might have concerning the auger/generator situation, and how you operate.

Thanks!

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need Advice on Equipping New Wheel-House!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Clam jut came out with an innovative new design for using a cordless power drill with an auger. All you gotta have is a drill youre willing to use and the auger part of a hand auger. Quiet, light, and no smell. http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/augers/augerconversionkit/auger-drill-plate.html
USE A BOBBER!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2013, 11:21 AM »
I have a 6 1/2 x 12 fish house. I have a Honda 2000 generator which I've never had to use yet. I use my Jiffy 2 stroke auger when I set up. Ya you get some smoke, but I just leave the door open for a bit until I get the holes cleaned out. Has not really bothered me. The electric or propane is a good alternate choice if you can swing the cost.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2013, 11:37 AM »
I have a 6 1/2 x 12 fish house. I have a Honda 2000 generator which I've never had to use yet. I use my Jiffy 2 stroke auger when I set up. Ya you get some smoke, but I just leave the door open for a bit until I get the holes cleaned out. Has not really bothered me. The electric or propane is a good alternate choice if you can swing the cost.

yea, what this guy said. ill drill my holes with windows and door open, let it air out while im drilling some holes out side as well. by time time your ready to fish, its pretty safe to jump in and crank up the heat!

if you got the cash, the honda 2000 is your best bet, other wise go 12v. pretty easy to charge batteries and its cost efficient.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2013, 05:44 PM »
I run Amsoil Sabre at 100/1 in my Eskimos, and drill inside quite often. Only takes a min or 2 to clear out. Whatever you get for a generator, if you do, I would stay away from the 2 strokes. The ones I have seen are awful loud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.