Author Topic: The Handyman's way to get across the ice!  (Read 2438 times)

North2AlaskaAlley

The Handyman's way to get across the ice!
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:24 PM »
Here's what you do...  You get one of them 5 hoss snowblowers, 2 fourteen inch lengths of rope,  1 roll of duct tape (Grey or cammo), 1 lawn chair, and one plastic sled.  First you tie a length of rope on to the handle bars of the snowblower.  Then you attach the other end to the eyelets in the sled.  Next you position the lawnchair in the front of the sled and lash it securely to the sled with the duct tape, being sure to use the entire roll of tape for maximum stability and safety.  Now you are all set to load your gear in the sled, and head out across the ice!  If the snow is deep, you want to engage the snowblower's auger.  If the ice is clean, or very well packed you should leave the auger disengaged to conserve gas.  A set of tire chains will improve traction.  You can also modify the exhaust to serve as an "on the ice fish frying device" by spot welding a mess kit style frypan to the blower's muffler.  Then you can cook your fish on the return trip to your vehicle/camp/home for a nice hot meal!!!  It is highly reccommended that you install lights for over the road travel.  You may want to check local laws before taking your "vehicle" on the road!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: The Handyman's way to get across the ice!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:37 AM »
i dont think id be happy with a 5 ''hoss'' motor...maybe a 14 ''hoss?''   :roflmao:

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:29 AM »
I HIGHLY reccommend a helmet for any vehicle of this type that uses more than 5hp.  Also the rope should be replaced with chain, and the sled would need to be upgraded as well.  The speeds generated with a larger machine could prove fatal if the sled fails.  More importantly, you could lose your gear if the sled tears and you dont notice it!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:36 AM »
No wonder fish giggle at the sound of your approach!  :woot:
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:49 AM »
You have been watching too much Red Green from the Opposum Lodge.. :o

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2004, 01:10 PM »
You have been watching too much Red Green from the Opposum Lodge.. :o

Wow... I am speechless.... Nobody has ever said such a kind thing!  I am honored truly honored!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:58 PM »
N2AA-
you are a knothead, a true knothead.  Now shut up and fish!!!  I know you told me that you have not been very active in the outdoor realm, but you need to get out and do some ice fishing!  It's good for what ail's ya!

Good to hear from you again buddy!

Icy Mike

P.S.  any particular brand snow blowers we should be considering?  I myself like the ol' John Deere's...

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I have a Yardman.  It is ancient, but it starts first pull every time!  Ice Fishing is too expensive right now.  But when the youngun comes I will be asking Santa for all kinds of outdoor goodies!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:55 PM »
That boy just aint right!!! :cookoo:

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:59 PM »
I need to see pictures  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Anthony

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:07 PM »
That would seem kind of french? haha. i would try it for sure if my dad would let me use our 10 HP snowblower, i like the muffle fish fry idea though ;D ;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:04 AM »
super cgharge it with a nos system and youll really be a ble to run and gun for panfish and get flags over a 1/4 mile away in no time

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Well it maybe sounds like an odd form of transportation but I have seen something similar to that here for the past few years . This guy up the road from me hitches a single snowmobile trailer to his snowblower and carrys his beer cases like that and even groceries . ::) Kinda funny seeing him go down hills with the trailer trying to run the snowblower over as it bobs and weaves .He sits on that trailer and its quite a sight with him stretching his arms right up for the handles of the snowblower like he's riding a chopper in the movie Easy Rider . LOL ::) ;D

TD

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Hey North. How do you clean the permanently welded frypan? Dunk the whole thing, blower and all in the water...LOL

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Hey North. How do you clean the permanently welded frypan? Dunk the whole thing, blower and all in the water...LOL

Well thats easy!  Keep a good layer of grease in the pan, use one of them copper scrubbies to gouge out the bigger, more stubborner chunks, and wipe clean with your shirt tail, or scarf, or hankie, which ever has the least yucky stuff on it (besides, the cold air from being outside will kill anything the heat from the muffler doesn't) and always carry extra grease around with ya to keep the pan "lubed"!  A well "seasoned" pan should NEVER see water!  Unless it is to make a stew, and even then you don't add the water till you brown your meat in a nice layer of grease!  Now I know what you are thinking..."NORTH!!!  All that fatty food CAN'T be good for you!"  Well I say OF COURSE IT IS!  How else you gonna keep your arteries warm if they don't have some grease in em????  Especially if you gave up the Jack Daniels when you were in your 20s.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2004, 09:49 AM »
How about tracks and 11 hosspower?

[/img]

Also should have a comfortable trailer to ride.

[/img]

North2AlaskaAlley

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Ithink you would have to have studded treads on clear ice? :-\  And I dont see a lot of room on the sled for your gear... But YUP I love that privy!  That would be far supierir to the lawn chair!  Looks fine and dandy to me!....Although....Would be kind of a shame to mar such a purty machine by welding on a frying pan though...

If you use the privy option, check local laws before drilling a hole in the ice to flush into! :o

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2004, 02:55 PM »
i like loo ill order 2 as soon as you can get them to me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.