Author Topic: Ooouch! Best fall on ice?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
Ooouch! Best fall on ice?
« on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:16 PM »
;D  Walking down an embankment this morning with my son.  Began sliding, knew I was in trouble, tried to run/skip down and finally did a good loop at the foot of the embankment onto the ice.  Bait went flying all over....son said it was pretty spectacular.  Luckily, I fell right and didn't get bruised, just my ego, and we recovered all the shiners. 
     (Thank God they were not smelt.  I would have had to resuscitate each and every one!) 
Both of us fell flat on our keeshbiners later in the day.  Man was North Pond slick!  Sad thing is I left my cleats in my truck.  Any good falls recently?
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Ooouch! Best fall on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:48 PM »
a few years back my dad fell going after a tip-up and got a concussion >:(

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:01 PM »
yeah today was checkin out some ice and i fell and it gave way and through the ice i went luckily only 3 inches of water but rocks in the ribs hurt

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:52 PM »
Was on some blue ice one day, the kind a Zamboni would be jealous of.  Drilled my hole and when the water came out, I went down, not your typical flailing arms dancing down, but, never knew it was coming .01 seconds between up and on my back down.  If you could bottle that kind of slick, it would be worth a fortune.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Two years ago, first ice, on a local reservoir. I new where the walleyes were and in bunches... me and two friends go walking down the bank at 4:30AM with a little moon light to guide us. I step out on the ice half running, because I'm so excited, next thing I know my feet are pointed at the sky - auger goes flying, vexilar goes flying, bucket of rods and tackle go skidding across the ice.  There was a two foot "ramp" in the ice, that went down abruptly around the shore in that area.  They still laugh themselves to tears to this day, just thinking about the sounds they heard in the dark that morning.

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:12 PM »
You guys should be careful!
This is a contact sport, you know.

8)

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:42 PM »
out on the ice last year with my friend up at college and its a real cold and windy day and i'm just walkin around a little bit but I got my hood on so unless its right in front of me I cant see anything next thing I know I hear running and all of a sudden i'm on the ice, my friend thought it was hilariouse to blind side me, man did it hurt but it was pretty funny i'll give it to him, later in the year I got him back thou

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2004, 10:58 PM »
1/2 second thought process:

"My boot's untied."

"Wait a minute, why can I see my boot, no, both my boots, while I'm still standing upright."

"Oh crap."

"This is going to hurt."

"This is going to hurt, and I'm going to look like a complete ass."

"Huh, clouds are moving in.  Maybe the fish will start biting soon."

"Uuuh, oh, ah  -----  huuuuuuH"

"I'm good.  No problem.  Just a little slip.  Gimme a minute.  Gasp........   Oh yeah, clouds moving in.  Where's my fishing pole.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:26 AM »
before I wore creepers on black ice a few years ago, running after a tip up 300 yards out, on a full sprint and bam over I went, thought I broke my skull.

Last year even wearing creepers drilling a hole, water came out of the hoile and froze so fast made it slick and down i went, managed to keep the power auger high enough to now let the clutch touch water. Banged up knee pretty good.

Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

ratkilr

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:04 AM »
 Last year I was spearing. Moved my shack 15 feet. Leaving large hole next to shack. Sun came out and melted top of ice. Real slick. I had tip ups all around my shack. Saw flag go up on far side of shack. Ran about 25 yards towards shack. Could not stop and fell backwards while sliding towards my old spearing hole. Slid into spearing hole spread eagle facing up. My legs and arms spread out kept me from going all the way in.
 Luckily no one saw it. Many people out that day.  Had to drape coveralls over shack to dry.

Fishmon

« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:28 AM »
A few years ago a bunch of us were headed out on Lake George and it was a perfect sheet of glass that any Zamboni operator would have been proud of.  I walked out about 10 feet and stopped before I went upside down and put my creepers on.  A couple of the guys started laughing at me, making the usual remarks, etc. and both proceeded to fall down.  One guy whacked his head pretty good and was blistering the air with a few well chosen words and victim #4 came running down the shoreline and attempted to do a big slide onto the ice to impress everyone, and you guessed it - went down like a ton of bricks and dislocated his shoulder.  The ice fishing trip lasted all of 10 seconds and we spent 3 hours in the emergency room at Glens Falls hospital.  I, of course, did not say a word while driving to hospital with the wounded.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2004, 03:37 PM »
 ;D  Awwwwww....you guys make me feel so much better!  Day later and I still don't have any abnormal pains!  Lucky on the falling.  Couple of you guys said it, why did I buy creepers if I don't put them on!  Be careful out there, what we don't go through to feed our families. ::)
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:38 PM »
ABOUT 3 YRS AGO I BROUGHT THIS TEENAGER FRIEND OF MINE ICEFISHING. IT HAD WARMED UP THE WEEK BEFORE AND THE LAKE WAS LIKE A MIRROR. TOOK 2 OF US TO CUT THE HOLES,ONE TO RUN THE AUGER THE OTHER TO ANCHOR THE OPERATOR DOWN. ANYWAY A FLAG GOES UP! RYAN TAKES OFF ON A DEADBOLT RUN! I YELL "RYAN SLOW....D" AS HE LOOKS AT ME HE YELLS"WHAT?" AND  ATTEMPTS TO SLOW HIMSELF. SURE ENOUGH THIS KID GOES AIRBORNE FOR AT LEAST 2 SEC.AND UPON IMPACT SLIDES ANOTHER 20FT. LOOKED LIKE SOMETHING OFF OF HOME ALONE!! I STILL LAUGH LIKE HELL WHEN I SEE THAT KID IN TOWN!!!

sharphook

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Couple of years ago my dad was walking on clear ice with a big pot of chilli and took a digger.  The pot went up in the air and landed perfeclty flat right side up.  Never spilled a drop.  Luck was with him because he didn't hurt himself. 

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Couple of years ago my dad was walking on clear ice with a big pot of chilli and took a digger.  The pot went up in the air and landed perfeclty flat right side up.  Never spilled a drop.  Luck was with him because he didn't hurt himself. 
thats absolutely classic

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:50 PM »
i saw a good one this weekend on a local lake.  three guys stopped and started talking to me and then proceeded on towrads there spot.  about 5 minutes later a happened to take a second to look away from the vex and see where the guys were going when i saw the whole thing happen.  The tallest guys feet just fleww out from under him and everthing went flying.  His miny bucket expolded tackle went all over and auger was a few feet from him.  i also saw a guy just sitting there on his seat just jigging away when the seat just went out from under him and he landed on his A$$ and side and just kept jigging like nothing happend

My personal worst was running after a flag when i was younger and i left my feet and landed on the back of my head and laid there for what seemed to be a long time and then got up an went to get the flag.  I was actually knocked out ice cold for (from what i am told) around a minute.   

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline dwc67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2004, 05:05 PM »
my buddy and i were fishing simcoe out of keswick after the huts came off. we were fishing the old hut holes and the water was all over the ice and running into the holes. my friend stands up and he is into the hole before we knew it. he climbs out, stands up again and whoosh back in he goes. by this time i am laughing so hard i can't help him out. needless to say the day was cut short.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:54 PM »
just rememberd a good one last year took my at the time girlfriends brother out fishing instead of using the augur to make the hole he used his foot since it was a hole with just a small amout of ice on it well wewent down to his waist with one leg almost like doing a slpit and i was rollin but on the way home thought his siter aand parents were gonna kill me

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Never took a gnarly digger,BUT, did have an overly zealous fly-zipping incident when a flag popped about 50 yards away.  I would recommend to all male IS members that you take the time necessary to assure that the zipper is clear of any impediments before attempting to zip closed :o.  Without getting too graphic, I'm sure you all get the idea.  Felt like a cub scout for a while after the "incident".  Painful memory... :blink:
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2004, 03:28 PM »
Hope you didn't "get the beans above the frank"  :o :o :o

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Last year on a black ice pond while cutting my first hole the auger caught the bit on break thru.Well I forgot to let off the gas and before to long the smeltster looked like a scene from the movie twister.When I could nolonger hang on I was tossed a good 20 yds. from my hole.My so-called buddies and my no-good brother where laughing so hard that one of them soiled there britches.One of them clowns actually had the nerve to hold up a sign with 9.8 on it.I was robbed by this Russian judge,it was certainly a 10.0! ;)
Bubba  

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2004, 04:38 PM »
oh my that must have been good!!! :roflmao:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Well, I have taken some huge falls, and being 5'11" and 215 lbs the ice probably shakes when I hit the ground. I distinctly remember I was sitting in my chair last year and I was getting a hit by a laker. I drive the hook home so hard that I fall back out of my chair and into the fresh 2 ft. of snow on the ground covering me completely. Meanwhile,  my jig pole is out of my hand and the laker is about pulling it into the hole cuz I had hooked him. Luckily the bail got flipped, he took a lot of line, and I got back up and caught a small 18" laker like nothing had happened. glad my dad didn't see it or he never would've let me forget it.
Monday at crawford though, my dad was drilling a hole with our barracuda eskimo power auger. And you have to understand my dad isn't a big guy like I am, he is only 5'6" and like 140 lbs. He finally made it through the ice but he still was pulling the thing that makes the auger drill. Well, since he isn't as strong as he used to be, the thing pulls him over flat on his face! Naturally, I laughed my butt off because he was giving me "perch penalties" because I caught a couple of stocker rainbows. Aren't we nice to each other? ;D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:34 PM »
I was dumb enought to carry a full propane tank in both arms up against my chest because it was easier than carrying it in one hand.  Well it was dark and I tripped on a chunk of raised ice.  Went crashing down on another piece of raised ice right on my kneecap!  I laid there for about 20 minutes, then when I finally got up and got to the shack, my brother was mad because he was starting to get COLD.  I just told him where to go and dropped the tank at his feet.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Well I have a concussion and a dislocated shoulder to my credit and in fact hit so damn hard last winter I had visions of the Vikings winning the super bowl as the stars went by. That has to tell you how hard I hit my head.  ;D  ;D Well needless to say that I now have stabilizers and they work great. Still the best sport there is tho!! Nothing beats them walleyes on ice. Happy New Year everbody here  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.