Author Topic: Pike Liver  (Read 3506 times)

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Pike Liver
« on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Hey wishin for ice dudes! I was watching Bizzarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Food Network a couple of weeks back and he was at a place that served fish, including the liver. He made comments about the fish liver like " it doesn't even taste like liver" and that it was "the best part of the fish". Yesterday out in my boat I caught some nice keeper size pike. I kept the livers and fried them right alongside the fillets with some garlic. Man that dude was right. From now on I am keeping all of my pike livers cuz they are awesome! Anybody else ever try this? P.S. I can't stand any other type of liver. That's how good this was. I do eat perch eggs in winter, and they also rock.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike Liver
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2009, 09:48 PM »
Wierd dude. I'll take your word for it. It's worth a shot. How do you prepare your perch eggs? That's another thing I've been temtped to try.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2009, 12:44 AM »
Sounds like a good way to get a paracite! ;D

I will take mine WELL DONE. ;)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2009, 06:40 AM »
perch eggs are awsome pike liver though guess i'll have to try that

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Wierd dude. I'll take your word for it. It's worth a shot. How do you prepare your perch eggs? That's another thing I've been temtped to try.

I just roll them in cornmeal and give 'em a quick fry. Then serve them with a little soy sauce. As for the parasite issue on the liver, I would cook it all the way through anyway. Mine was medium and I think it would have been even better if it were well done. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Hey wishin for ice dudes! I was watching Bizzarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Food Network a couple of weeks back and he was at a place that served fish, including the liver. He made comments about the fish liver like " it doesn't even taste like liver" and that it was "the best part of the fish". Yesterday out in my boat I caught some nice keeper size pike. I kept the livers and fried them right alongside the fillets with some garlic. Man that dude was right. From now on I am keeping all of my pike livers cuz they are awesome! Anybody else ever try this? P.S. I can't stand any other type of liver. That's how good this was. I do eat perch eggs in winter, and they also rock.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
not pike but i have used the livers of other fish for bait and it works great. i landed a 27 inch channel cat the other day on sunny guts.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:50 PM »
just remember what the liver dose. If there is a scare of mercury where your from then northers are some of the most potent fish around for holding mercury. I guess I'm not going to try it around here all the inland lakes have mercury warnings at most boat landings and the DNR also posts in the reg book that the average person should have no more then 1 meal a week and thats just the meat not of the filtering organs. so I'm not saying that your going to die of poising from it but i would just be careful. thats my 2 cents
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline Kilroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Lol, I will just have to take your word for this wonderful meal but I am going to stick to the fillets.........I can't imagine how many beers it would take to make that sound good.  ;D

Kilroy
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/382548/TeamSDlogo1-1.jpg

If It Smells Like Fish And Tastes Like Fish.......It Just Might Be Fish.

Kilroy Was Here ~~~o00o~(_)~o00o~~~

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2009, 09:10 AM »
just remember what the liver dose. If there is a scare of mercury where your from then northers are some of the most potent fish around for holding mercury. I guess I'm not going to try it around here all the inland lakes have mercury warnings at most boat landings and the DNR also posts in the reg book that the average person should have no more then 1 meal a week and thats just the meat not of the filtering organs. so I'm not saying that your going to die of poising from it but i would just be careful. thats my 2 cents

That's a good point, but we only have one mercury warning lake and I've only been to it once. It's 250 miles north and not worth the drive. I did go there once to try for a big pike, and all the locals I talked to said they've eaten fish out of it their whole lives. I will investigate that further, however, as I hadn't thought of that. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.