The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lonepine?  (Read 555 times)

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lonepine?
« on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Is there any fishing at Lonepine (dryfork) reservoir anymore (north of Dog lake on the Flathead Reservation)?  We used to do fairly well there for pike in the 70's (gads I'm getting old).  The last time I was by there, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, it was completely dewatered for dam work. I have not been by there since.  I'd heard there were pike in the upper reservoir also, but have never been there.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lonepine?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:39 PM »
A good friend checked it out 3 days ago.  Water level is extremely low . . . maybe 8' at deepest part.  I doubt it's worth fishing.   

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:19 PM »
My dad ran into tribal fish and game 4 years ago asked why he was fishing there because it was killed off.  There has to be fish back by now. The upper has sm pike and lots of bullhead. Good luck.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Doesn't sound promising.   That area is so dry I wonder if the reservoir will ever not see serious late summer dewatering and warm water conditions.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:10 PM »
I stopped by both of them today. They are extremely low especially the lower one. I fished the upper for bull heads and caught one. Bite was really slow. It is probably 12' deep at the deepest point I found. Ice was 4". Lower is so low that I would be surprised if any fish are alive in it. It will probably run out of oxygen if it hasn't already and or freeze to the bottom. Remember the rez has length limits on pike and you would be hard pressed to get one that long out of the upper one, but it does have or did have a lot of bullheads in it, which are a PITA to clean but from clean cold water they are pretty tasty. I was hoping to catch a mess of them today but only got one, which is weird so I am hoping the super low water isn't killing them off too. I talked via email with a representative from the tribe and was told that these two reservoirs are not managed as a fishery, they are managed for irrigation only so we can fish them if we want but any fish that live in them are just a random by product and if all the fish die out the tribe does not care as that is not the purpose of these two reservoirs.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:34 PM »
sad but true, many reservoirs are managed for water first and foremost on the Flathead Rez.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:32 PM »
yep.....

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I fished upper in the summer 2 years ago.  Caught bullheads only (if you want to catch bullheads this is the place to go).  I figure both lower and upper dryfork/lonepine is a waste of time anymore.  Unless people are still catching some pike? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.