Author Topic: what lb. test line?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
what lb. test line?
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:55 PM »
I normally fish hooks, jigs, and occacionaly spoons for walleye. This year I want to give spoons and swimming baits a try. I read on this forum to use heavy line with a rapala to give it a better, slower presentation. So i rigged up a rod with 14 lb. test mono specifically for swimming baits. I was curious if I could, (or should) use the same heavier line when using a spoon? (possibly nills, swedish, or buckshot spoon)

I often hear to use the most lightweight tackle possible, so im a little confused on this one.

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: what lb. test line?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:42 PM »
I stick with lightweight lines for all my ice fishing, 4-8lb test line. I dont know if 14lb test will be very good for ice fishing, but i could be wrong ???

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:29 PM »
So i rigged up a rod with 14 lb. test mono specifically for swimming baits. I was curious if I could, (or should) use the same heavier line when using a spoon? (possibly nills, swedish, or buckshot spoon)

i would not recommend using heavy line for spoons...with spoons you are looking to maximize the random action and flutter, and heavy mono would retard that action, whereas with rapala type swimbaits, the heavy line slows the action of the bait, giving it a much more gentle glide.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:21 PM »
ok, that sounds right to me.

thanks for the info

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:11 AM »
  Spool up with 6# ice line ( clear or green work well).  Use your drag and rod tip
to fight larger fish.  Help bigger fish out of the hole so you don't bust yer line.  Tye on a 2' to 3' leader of 1# to 4# when you want to fish for panfish and your good
to go.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:25 AM »
TED,

The heavy line isn't to help land fish, its to slow the glide down of jigging raps and the like, giving them more of an appeal...check out in-fisherman sometime. ;)

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:10 AM »
Big red,
  I guess I missed the point of this thread.  I fish the heavily fished lakes of
southeastern Michigan.  These fish have seen alot of lures and are extremely lineshy.
The thought of 14# line sounds like someone is going to go fishless to me.  I didn't
know about the heavier line slowing the glide on a rap.  You learn something new
every day.  You guys north of us fish bigger bodies of water for bigger fish (trout,
salmon, pike) in deeper water.  Whatever works.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:53 AM »
TED

No big deal, I really didn't intend to come across sounding like a tool, but I kinda did :-\

Up here, we're only fising 8-12 FOW for our eyes.     With heavy lures, anything deeper than 30 feet, and I prefer braid.  And the big walleye lakes around here get LOTS of pressure...my favorite lake looks like a connect-a-dot on the weekend (3500 acres). The heavy line isn't something I do anyways, but it is something the In-Fisherman mentions in all of their swimbait articles...I prefer chubby darters to jigging raps and the like, and chubby darters are better on light line (4lb-6lb).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.