Author Topic: lowrance 2330 a flasher ?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
lowrance 2330 a flasher ?
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I just got started in ice fishing and after looking at a guys flasher this past weekend I got to thinking.  we got a boat from a family friend many years ago.  we used the trailer for something but the boat was still down in the back 40.  I remember a flasher looking thing on it and just went down and looked at it and it is a lowrance 2330 a.  I do not think the transducer is there but it may be in the boat.  if it is under it its more then likely junk.  I was wondering if you guys could help me out. 

can I buy another transducer?  if so how much are they?  if not is there something I can buy to modify to make it work?  I believe it is a 12volt system but not sure.  if I do have to buy a transducer is there a way to check if it works without it?  I know it wont work exactly the way its supposed to but will it turn a certain color?  thanks for any help.

Offline MarkC

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: lowrance 2330 a flasher ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I bought an old Humminbird Silent 60 flasher last year to try on the ice and while I could see the bottom. I could not see my jig or bait and when another person near me had a flasher on my own unit became useless as interference became a problem. I think a transducer will cost you at least $50 if you can even find one.

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:30 PM »
The unit is a 12 volt unit.  The power cord for it should have a red connector on it.  The transducer has a black 2 pin connector.  If you have the old transducer and it works, you will just need a 12 volt battery to get it going.  If the transducer is bad, You will still need the connector from it to make a new one work.  Cut the cable of the old transducer, leaving at least 1 foot of cable from the connector to the cut.  The transducer you would need is a 192 KHz, 20 deg transducer.  The new model Lowrance units use a 200 Khz transducer which is not compatible with your unit.  They are still available from some sources on line.  Be advised that the 2330 A is almost 30 years old and is not supported by Lowrance any more.  It was one of the best units in its day and has plenty of power to do the job.  If you have to do more than just get a transducer for it, you would be better off getting something new.
Good Luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:08 AM »
thanks.  I am gonna check it out tonight when I get home.  I would like to get a flasher but can"t afford a 300 dollar purchase. 

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:22 PM »
well I found the transducer for it.  it was inside the hull in the back of the boat.  We hooked everything up and it appears to work.  I got to do some cleanin to the inside because some hornets decided it would be better to build their nest inside that instead of the rest of the boat.  I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a way to clean the electronics on it without damaging anything?  I am lookin at making a setup that I seen at a local seminar and am tickled pink that this thing works.  can't wait till I get to use it out on the ice.   ;D

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:05 PM »
I have never seen hornets get inside one of those units in all the years I worked on them as they were pretty well gasketed and weatherproof.  They must have been pretty smart critters.  You can start by getting a can of air cleaner from Walmart.  They sell it in the computer/electronics dept.  You can use this to blow out any loose debris.  Be careful not to damage the neon bulb on the disc as it is very fragile.  There are contact brushes under the disc that connect the high voltage output  from the circuit board to the bulb on the disc.  I would not take the disc off of the motor as you can affect the alignment  of the brushes.  There is   about 550V on them. If they short, you can damage the high voltage circuit.  As for the off/on/gain control and suppressor control, you can use a good tuner cleaner from Radio Shack.  DO NOT spray anything on the motor, the scan disc, or the brushes!  Also, don't make any adjustments to any of the controls on the circuit board.  I hope this helps.  Good luck with it.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:54 PM »
I think at this point I am gonna put it back together and just use it.  I got the loose stuff out with a toothbrush.  the other stuff I am afraid of scrapping off with something hard and don't really want to use a liquid cleaner on it.  right now it works and that is fine with me.  might not be for my father but it is luck it even works at this point.  it might burn up in a few days time I don't know. 

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:41 PM »
this baby works and I can pick my jig up in it as well.  I wonder is the old fish lo k tors that I see on ebay of the same quality as the 2330A?  if so I might buy one for my father to use. 

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:06 PM »
You want to be careful with the Fish Lo-K-tors as they can date back to 50 years old.  They were not as powerful or as sensitive as the 2330A is.  There are several models of the green box that are on a par with the 2330A but do not have the 0-30ft range.  Those models are the LFP-300D and the P300E which were made around the same time as the 2330A.  The older ones have a few big dis-advantages.  One is that if the original transducer is replaced, the unit had to be re-tuned at a service center.  Also, they only have a 0-100 ft scale. 
I hope this helps.  I'm glad to hear the 2330A is working for you.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Norm knows his stuff - He was a Lowrance Tech

Offline ghost_rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:31 AM »
I figured he was.  and thanks norm for the help.  I have been watching and have noticed some of them have ranges of 50-0 where some of them have ranges of 0-100.  one of those things ya just gotta keep looking. 

Offline BusyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Is Norm still around? Have some 2330 questions for him. Will start a new topic too! Thank you.

Offline Hensc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Hello, I just joined this forum and saw this stream.  I also have a Lowrance system 2000 2330B.  Did a little research and hit a wall.  The transducer that is needed is part number HST-WSBK 90-73.  Of course discontinued.   I was wondering if I could use any 2 pin transducer with a 20 degree cone and get the same results.  Might have to splice the wire to attach the Lowrance plug? 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2019, 03:30 PM »
I know I've got an HST-WSBK NIB sitting on the shelf at home. Don't know if it's a 90-73 but I can check when I get back tomorrow if you're interested.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hensc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Yes, trying to put this one to sleep.  Thanks.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Yep, it's a 90-73  ;D PM me and we can work out the details.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.