Author Topic: Ryobi Drills ?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ryobi Drills ?
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Anyone use these drills? I know they are not Milwaukee Fuel, but I cannot spend $300 on a drill set. Would the Ryobi be a good pair with a nils?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ryobi Drills ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:33 AM »
Depends on what size nils you want. There are a lot of people using the Ryobi oNe Plus with 6" augers.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:49 AM »
that auger would be the easiest on any drill while it is sharp. the parent company of ryobi is the same for ridgid and milwaukee. try to get the strongest drill and a large battery. try to stay 6 inch auger and under for a smaller motor/drill.

i came up with what i think is a good formula of 100 inch pounds of motor per inch of auger. dull blades would want more torque to cut.

you missed out on the ridgid deal with free 1300 inch pound drill and 9 amp battery and charger for 170$ by about one month.

Offline shake 973

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I use the Ryobi 18 V one plus 4 amp with the clam conversion and 7 inch strike master laser. I usually drill about 20 to 25 holes and still have approx. 75 percent power left in battery. Very happy with drill and set up. Purchased drill, 2 (4amp) batteries, charger and soft case for a little over $100.00.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:24 PM »
I've been using the Ryobi hammer drill with the 7 inch nero mini auger and a clam plate. No problems to speak of and I love not having to worry about gas.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Ryobi brushless hammer Drill. With lifetime warranty batteries.

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I've been using a Ryobi drill with the Nils 6"  for about 5 years now and have no real complaints. had to replace the battery last year. was getting about 25 holes thru 12-15 inches of ice before changing batteries. the one issue I continue to have is the chuck loosening, so I usually keep one hand under the auger plate just in case.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:59 PM »
I have the p251 on a clam plate with a 6" lazer. My blades are dull so it cuts like trash but it doesn't bog or slow down through 12" of ice. Its not as fast as a Fuel, no way... My buddy has a fuel with 7" lazer and smokes me. But mine is working and will do the job until I can get a fuel next year.

I use the 4ah lithium+ batteries and get about 50 holes through 10-12" per battery. Probably a lot more if my blades werent dull, but that's what happens when you drill in timber...
EYECONICFISHING

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Anyone use these drills? I know they are not Milwaukee Fuel, but I cannot spend $300 on a drill set. Would the Ryobi be a good pair with a nils?

How much can you spend? The 2804-22 combo is 250 on home depot right now.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:26 PM »

you missed out on the ridgid deal with free 1300 inch pound drill and 9 amp battery and charger for 170$ by about one month.

Aren't people having lots of problems with that setup? I wanted to get in on that deal but at this point I'm kind of glad I couldn't.

Offline Mein4877

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Aren't people having lots of problems with that setup? I wanted to get in on that deal but at this point I'm kind of glad I couldn't.

People who have issues will tell more people than people that don't. I have the deadly combination of the god awful clam plate with the bent clam extension and the terrible ridgid octane which could never compare to the almighty Milwaukee fuel. I couldn't be happier. Love the clam plate. Extension might a have a slight wobble but you'll cut through the ice so fast that you'll never notice it. As for the octane I've never had a cut out in the hole and only a couple fail to starts. One was when the auger was completely covered in layers of ice and the others where when I ran it in the air with the auger attached. I have to say most peoples issues are operator error or misuse. As for what the post was asking about the Ryobi drill. I had the drill that came with a kit attached it to the clam plate and 6" lazer and it lasted 2 years before I smoked it. Probably because my blades dulled. I got the brushless model with 750lbs of torque and it ran great for the 2 seasons I used it. I had no complaints at all. Just wanted to use an 8" auger so I upgraded drills to the octane because of the torque. Hope this information helps.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:49 PM »
"People who have issues will tell more people than people that don't."

I agree, typically. There just seems to be a lot of people here having the same issues with that drill using it for a purpose it may not have been designed for.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:54 PM »
. It's the same or worse on all other set ups...just saying as I have noticed.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I've noticed something this season. This forum seems to be Ridgid heavy, I think because of all the "selling" a few members did here back in early fall 2018. So you see more ridgid issues than anything here. Facebook groups seem to be mostly Milwaukee based, and you just see Fuel related issues there. Everyone hates Ryobi and nobody talks about Dewalt.  ;D

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.