Author Topic: Eskimo inferno sled shelter  (Read 2320 times)

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo inferno sled shelter
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I'm thinking of buying one of these. Has anyone here ever used one?

http://www.geteskimo.com/wide1-inferno-flip-style-shelter

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo inferno sled shelter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05:16 AM »
My son has had one for a couple of seasons. It's top of the line., better constructed shanty in comparison to my Clam.  BUY IT
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:57 AM »
I'm thinking of buying one of these. Has anyone here ever used one?

http://www.geteskimo.com/wide1-inferno-flip-style-shelter

If u have never owned a flip over, weight should be one of your top priorities. That sled is 70lbs empty. Add 50lbs of gear and an auger, and it will be like dragging a dead mule on anything but glare ice..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I've had one for two years. I put the Hyfax runners on the bottom and it pulls like a dream. I often drag an second sled behind in tandem with extra gear. And I'm 64 with a bad back. Not a problem to pull. On glare ice with a wind it will pass you.
Very warm inside with my Lil' Buddy heater. Have to vent a window because it's too warm sometimes. It's nice to be able to put it at the half over position as a windbreak. Pitch black inside or very bright depending on if the windows are open or shut.
I also own an Eskimo QuickFish 3 which is a pop up. Have had that one almost 10 years. The Wide One Inferno is better construction.
You can't go wrong with this one!

ONE MORE THING! My buddy was upset that I didn't buy a two man. If you fish with a friend often, size up!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:40 AM »
You can push a pickup truck on glare ice.. The runners dont do anything for the sled if you are dragging thru the snow. They are meant to keep the plastic sled off the ground to protect it so it lasts longer and make it easier to drag on hard surfaces (dirt/pavement). Snow is where weight comes in. If you fish in a snowy area, Im telling you, go as light as possible..Unless you are pulling it with a snowmobile or other vehicle. You also most likely dont need an insulated 1man. You would be shocked how quickly a non-insulated 1 man heats up just from your body heat when it flipped over.

Cant tell you how many like new 2mans and otters i see for sale every year from guys who dont realize how much work it is to drag one of these by hand fully loaded thru the snow..

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:46 AM »
I have a Smitty sled if I need it. That will go through deep snow. I have yet to use it, though, for the Inferno, but it's there. Yes, the runners were mainly to protect the tub over the parking lots and boat ramps, but they are slicker than the bottom.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I have a Smitty sled if I need it. That will go through deep snow.

I refuse to build a sled for my sled lol

I picked up an OLD Flip N' Fish for 40$ a couple seasons ago. The tent is a thicker tarp like material and keeps me plenty warm. The entire flip over weighs 14 lbs. Add another 7lb for my electric drill auger and 10-15lbs for gear/bait, and my entire rig weighs round 30-35lbs. Pulls like a dream thru anything.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:01 PM »
I don't have one but my fishing buddy does and ive spent time in it.its a very nice warm shack..but 3 things I don't like about it are to get in and out of it without flipping it over you have to  bend like a pretzel to get in it because the front door is real  short,the sled wore holes in  1 ice season.we bought shelters at the same time and my shappell sled didn't wear holes in the 2 back corners.also the seat is constructed of all metal and is very heavy.seat out of aluminum or a frabill commando seat would drop about 10 pounds off.jmo

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:26 PM »
I refuse to build a sled for my sled lol

I picked up an OLD Flip N' Fish for 40$ a couple seasons ago. The tent is a thicker tarp like material and keeps me plenty warm. The entire flip over weighs 14 lbs. Add another 7lb for my electric drill auger and 10-15lbs for gear/bait, and my entire rig weighs round 30-35lbs. Pulls like a dream thru anything.

X2 on the flip-n-fish

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2017, 03:45 PM »
That's a great shelter and you can't go wrong with it.  I fished in uninsulated shelters before and yeah they will get warm with a heater but you run into an issue with condensation from the warm air hitting the cold fabric.  Another thing is insulated shelters break the wind a million times better than the uninsulated ones.  On most days you can get away without even having to run a heater in these  Inferno shelters.  It's the same material as the Fatfish 949I popup shelters which is also a great shelter.  I had my Fatfish 949I out on a day that was 2 degrees with non-stop wind and it broke the wind like a champ.  I didn't have a heater going inside and it was so warm that I had to take off my coat.  As for the weight issue the only time that I've really noticed it was when there was slush on the ice and it was sticking to the bottom of the sled, which is pretty much the same as a Jet Sled.  My Jet Sled is the XL model and I load it up with all my gear which is an easy 130 to 150 pounds and as I said before the only time it's a pain to drag is when the slush sticks to the bottom of the sled.  If you're worried about it being hard to pull just make a Smitty Sled.  All you need to make a Smitty Sled is a pair of down hill skis, some screws, and some wood and you could make it in a hour or two depending on what tools and abilities you have.   I'm sure you'll love that shelter if you get it and another really nice thing about it is the price is reasonable. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:25 AM »
That's a great shelter and you can't go wrong with it.  I fished in uninsulated shelters before and yeah they will get warm with a heater but you run into an issue with condensation from the warm air hitting the cold fabric.   

You dont need a heater in the un-insulated ones either. In a space that small your body heat warms it pretty quick. Ive been in my un-insulated in 0 deg temps with my coat off, no hat, and no gloves.. Now if you get a bigger 2 or 3 man, or a pop up, the insulation helps, as your body heat isnt sufficient to warm that amount of space. Youll get condensation in both un-insulated and insulated.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:07 AM »
All the uninsulated shelters I've fished in no matter if they're a flip over or pop up do not cut the wind nearly as well as the insulated ones do, were all noticeably colder, and needed a heater running to warm them up and even more so when it's windy and or the temperatures are in the low teens or colder.  And regarding the condensation issue you get a lot less with an insulated shelter verses an uninsulated one.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Maybe i just run warmer than most? Ive never needed a heater in a 1 man.. Rarely need a coat for that matter lol

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Yep I think that's the difference.  Also my write up is based on my experience prior to getting my Striker suit now with that on you need an air conditioner rather than a heater.  LOL

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:25 AM »
I have the uninsulated inferno and I'm very satisfied with it.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Yep I think that's the difference.  Also my write up is based on my experience prior to getting my Striker suit now with that on you need an air conditioner rather than a heater.  LOL

Ive had my Striker suit for 4 season now, that alone could be the difference for sure lol.

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:35 PM »
I just ordered it. At Eskimo they were $349 but were changing $116 for shipping. I looked around and found it at Sportsman’s Guide for $341 and only $20 shipping.
Can’t wait.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2017, 01:31 PM »
I just ordered it. At Eskimo they were $349 but were changing $116 for shipping. I looked around and found it at Sportsman’s Guide for $341 and only $20 shipping.
Can’t wait.

I believe that's where mine came from also. Mainly due to the shipping costs.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Ive had my Striker suit for 4 season now, that alone could be the difference for sure lol.

When comparing the non-insulate shelters versus the insulated models breaking the wind and produce a lot less condensation regardless of what you're wearing, the insulated models are far better in both categories.  Where the suits make a difference is if you need to run a heater. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.