Author Topic: 13 Fishing Descent? New Inline  (Read 3950 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
13 Fishing Descent? New Inline
« on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:21 PM »
I just saw that 13 fishing has a new inline reel out called the Descent.  Cost is $34.99, so it must be replacing the No. 8 CGI.  Looks  like the CGI but a little more sturdy. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 13 Fishing Descent? New Inline
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Like you I thought they may be replacing the No. 8 CGI with these when I saw them online.  Most inline reels use the same internal parts so I would guess this will be the same as the others (CGI, Eagle Claw, etc.) especially since the price is the same as the CGI is/was.

Any one handled one yet?

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I use all CGI # 8,  6 of them, the only thing is the drag can get jumpy on them from time to time with realllly big fish on. They are an awesome alternative then spending the 100 bucks on a black betty, which in all reality is probably better overall. But i cant see myself dropping that kind of cash on 6 rods.

I forget which user (sorry) on here recommended flushing the bearings out with rubbing alcohol, and then re-lubing them TSI 321 oil, i just did that and can certainly see that there is a noticeable difference in smoothness and drop rate. I haven't used them with the new oil on the ice obviously, and i really only had an issue with the drop rate when using super light panfish jigs, but i would be shocked if the TSI 321 oil doesn't alleviate that issue entirely.

I can only speak for the CGI#8 reels, but I love them. I would say if lake trout or big northerns are your main targets, i would probably go with a pfluger president, but i have landed a 29 inch walleye with it, and a 42 inch northern too with them, just need to be careful when you do lock into one.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Can someone post a link to the new reel called the Descent by 13 Fishing? I can't find it online!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Thanks!!! It wasn't/isn't on 13 Fishing's website for some reason. At least I couldn't find it! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 04:18 AM »
I think they changed No 8 fishing to one three fishing.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I just saw that 13 fishing has a new inline reel out called the Descent.  Cost is $34.99, so it must be replacing the No. 8 CGI.  Looks  like the CGI but a little more sturdy. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Yep the descent is the no.8 CGI reel with a rubberized coating & and improved spool release button. It is more then likely the same quality has the CGI reel, but the rubber coating seems to make it seem higher quality IMO. Just wished the spool was aluminum.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.