Author Topic: OTTER XTH PRO LODGE POP UP  (Read 9967 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OTTER XTH PRO LODGE POP UP
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:28 PM »
3rd time is a charm!  Deb emailed me back today and said that their quality team has inspected a 2016/17 model XTH Resort and it's all in spec, and they will be sending it to me.  Their launch of these hub shanty's may be shakey, but their customer service has been great!  I'll udpate my old review of the original once I receive my new XTH Resort.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Nice to see that Otter  is trying to get you a good product. Hopefully when it arrives it will be perfect and you will finally get to use and enjoy it!

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Hey Guys. I received my replacement Otter Pro Lodge. Its absolutely perfect. The quality is solid. The Shelter has the latest bells and whistles. Now that I've gotten past the quality control issues I can really appreciate this awesome shelter. Thank you Otter for pulling through. Guys its worth the money  ;D

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:18 PM »
Congrats!!  Hope you get a lot of good use and enjoyment out of it!

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:39 PM »
thanks Tbern.  ;D :tipup:

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Figured I'd throw my 2 cents in as I just got my XTH Lodge yesterday. Got a great deal with Reeds. $299 plus a $10 giftcard, free shipping and no tax. Couldn't beat it. Box came in and looked great. Ripped er out of the box and man this thing is big. Have the small Shappell pop up so this is a major upgrade for me. Popped it up and the first thing I noticed was that you can't pop the top first like I usually do. It gets hooked and won't go. No biggie though. Went up really fast and wow it's a freaking mansion!. Zippers on the doors worked great. Got in and I CAN FINALLY STAND UP!!! That was the biggest thing for me when buying a new one. I really like how the took the windows and just put them sideways so you can actually see your tipups. Bought a Clam Bigfoot XL4000 or whatever it was and returned it the next day because you can't see out the damn thing when sitting! Really digging all the little compartments on the sides and the cargo nets. Will be nice to have things off the ice. Plus I plan on getting a cot and doing some overnights on LBDN this winter with it. Being able to store my stuff will be handy (I hope). The strap that comes with it to cinch the hub down when collapsed is really nice. Makes it easier to get in the bag (esp. since it almost doubled in size after I popped it up). Once I get it out on the ice and use it I'll post more. Needed to get to my hunting spot so I could fill my tag this year so I couldn't check it out more. Maybe I'll get some camo burlap next year to cover it and use it as my blind!

Offline Steve Sr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:00 AM »
I greatly appreciate all opinions posted.
I ordered the Otter XTH Cabin Hub Wednesday. UPS tracking shows it showing up today.

I found this thread doing a search for what isssues to look for since I'm sure the one coming is the older, non-Pro, version.

At 199 and 15 dollars shipping after a 25 dollar shipping discount for an insulated cabin sized (I generally fish alone) I can deal with a few issues.  My Yankee ingenuity has had lots of practice in 65 years.  ;D  I'll "customize" it if needed. Still on sale at Scheels btw.  The new and improved might be better but they wont increase my SS amount no matter how much I complain......but not complaining really. Doing ok, just have to be penny wise a bit.

If any other area of the older Otter hub should be inspected/improved that others have found, a short note will be appreciated.  I too will offer any "fixes" should I dream up anything earth.......er, ice-shattering.   ;D ;D

I'll do a triple check on the zipper first thing.

My thanks once again.
God Bless

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:37 AM »
I bought the otter from scheels the cabin  carefully  let it sit opened up for a day or two  to streched out fully cause even after that I sm having s hard time opening and closing mine .. just a heads up its like the poles are to long or some thing and the hubs lock together. All 5 hubs get hooked together preventing it from opening??  I don't know if they designed it to be less space for a smaller heater like the reg sized buddy heater.. so you don't have to waste your btus and use ton a propane ?? because it's smaller the my eskimo qf3i  and frabill bunker 450 /250 hubs.. also   windows are cheaply made it seems thiner then others maybe this is better??  Comparing to my frabill and Eskimos the eskimo and frabill shacks are better made.. I think.. and easier to set up close..  I think I got last year model but still for 199.99 it's not bad except to fold up thus far or open up.. zipper works great on mine no complaints about it.. also it's lower on height  like 75 inch tall not the 80 inch I am use to.. and smaller around the outside 72x72 inch not 80 x80 this is ware I wonder if they designed it to stay warmer with a smaller heater?? That might be why it's harder to fold up cause of the design of hub and pole length is funky?? I do see light comeing in threw the swen edges of the roof when it was opened up...  other then these issues it's a great shack.. hope you enjoy yours those that bought these??

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Any updates from anyone that used this last season? I am about to add an Otter XTH hub and wanted to see if anyone had any additional feedback/opinions?

Thanks

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Any updates from anyone that used this last season? I am about to add an Otter XTH hub and wanted to see if anyone had any additional feedback/opinions?

Thanks

Used it all winter last year, the lodge. Excellent hub.....I was on the hunt for one, looked at Clam, Eskimo and Otter. The Jason Mitchel of the Clam was my choice, until I went to scheels and there really was no difference between the otter and the JM. However there was a $130 difference that day as I was able to get a pretty nice deal on the otter. If you get it it will be hard to be upset. There is some light leaking through the seams, however I yet have to find a hub where that doesn't occur at all.....in the otter and JM it seemed to occur the least. In the Eskimos I looked at it was very obvious. In the end I have no doubt they all work just fine.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the update. I'm on the fence between the Otter XTH Pro Lodge and the Eskino Fatfish 949i. Little more research is in order and then gotta try to find a good deal on one!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I have the XTH Lodge and Cabin...

Cabin for when I'm off by myself... Lodge for when I'm fishing with my old man.

The cabin got used for 19 outings last year... and my only thing I had to do was retighten a hub nylock nut.

The insulation rocks for Wisconsin weather... usually (3)  1# bottles will last me a weekend for heat (1.5 a day)

I would buy the Otter again.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for the update. I'm on the fence between the Otter XTH Pro Lodge and the Eskino Fatfish 949i. Little more research is in order and then gotta try to find a good deal on one!

The one thing I've noticed on the Eskimo is that is has the black coating on the inside which seems to crack and fade over time.  Not sure it hinders performance, but personally I like a lighter colored fabric for the interior.    I had a Clam for several years and it worked fine other than the cheap zippers.    I'll be getting the Otter this year I think. 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:51 PM »
The one thing I've noticed on the Eskimo is that is has the black coating on the inside which seems to crack and fade over time.  Not sure it hinders performance, but personally I like a lighter colored fabric for the interior.    I had a Clam for several years and it worked fine other than the cheap zippers.    I'll be getting the Otter this year I think.

I think that is more so happening to the non insulated units.....however the insulated ones shouldn't have this problem....

I assume we will start seeing some really nice deals on these within the next two weeks or so and then into about middle of December....after that prices seem to top and flatten until about mid-January when you could find clearance units....sadly for us, many retailers have learned to simply pack up inventory and store it in their warehouses. The hub style shelters fall in that category......however late February you can score awesome deals on already assembled flip overs.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.  I primarily use my Otter Cabin flip over, but need something lighter and more packable for quick trips and the Eskimo Quick Fish is not cutting it.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I have otter resort, full insulated Bought in 2016. No issues and we love the room. Just as simple as setting up a smaller hub, of course there are 30 mph winds lol

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:57 PM »

Only thing I don't really like about my Otter is that there are only 2 widows at eye level. I like to set up tip ups for pike and I need to make sure to position my shanty when setting it up. The window covers also don't line up real great but I'm sure they fixed that this year since there were a lot of people complaining about that last year. Other wise it is a great shanty. The 949i was also on my list but I like the features Otter had. Like the overhead cargo nets. SUPER nice if you have a heater. My gloves would stay nice and warm up there.

Oh that sucker is heavy if you are thinking about carrying it. Well you can't really carry it. Make a smitty sled and you'll be set on that part.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.