Author Topic: Best heater  (Read 1542 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Best heater
« on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Hey guys I have an Eskimo fat fish I use as my shelter. I don't normally take a heater since I usually go fishing with my kids (99% of the time) and do when they get bored or cold then we go home. But I'm thinking about a heater. I know the big buddy heater is good. Anything better or that I should look into?

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best heater
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2018, 01:04 AM »
basic  portable buddy heater i think best all around, trouble free and best bang for buck.  there on sale all the time too expecially with black friday coming up

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2018, 01:19 AM »
X2 Does everything I need it to do. Grab one on sale and no worries.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:01 AM »
if your going to be using one pound bottles, i recommend flame king bottles and refill kit. menards has best price and some times rebates on them. you might want to look into the pilot light wind guard bart (fellow member here) designed from a pop can, but should be ok factory if only used in a hub.
condensation will be a factor if the hub is not insulated. some are using reflectx on the ceiling. i used it on my flip and it stops the condensation and bounce the light better.
the big buddy heaters use a lot of gas.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Here is a list of some of the more popular ones that people use:

Coleman Sport Cat...1500 BTU
Coleman ProCat.......3000 BTU
Mr. H Lil' Buddy........3800 BTU
Mr H Buddy.............4000 or 9000 BTU
Mr H Big Buddy........4000, 9000 or 18,000 BTU

There is a formula out there that is used to determine how much heat is needed/wanted based on cu.ft of space , the outside temp. and what you want the inside temp. to be. Of course, this will change when the outside temp. changes, wind chill and other variables, but it can give you a ball park figure.

This might help:
https://www.simplex.ca/en-ca/tips-advice/btu-calculator
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2018, 08:47 AM »
The regular size buddy heater is my go to for my hub shack. Big buddy for the otter lodge when it’s really cold and there isn’t any snow.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2018, 10:20 AM »
if your going to be using one pound bottles, i recommend flame king bottles and refill kit. menards has best price and some times rebates on them. you might want to look into the pilot light wind guard bart (fellow member here) designed from a pop can, but should be ok factory if only used in a hub.
condensation will be a factor if the hub is not insulated. some are using reflectx on the ceiling. i used it on my flip and it stops the condensation and bounce the light better.
the big buddy heaters use a lot of gas.
.  11% rebate on now at menards

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Hey guys I have an Eskimo fat fish I use as my shelter.

Which FF model do you have?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I have the 949i model. Its awesome and I rarely need a heater with the shelter and my striker clothes. But night fishing and with kids it gets a little chilly.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I have the 949i model. Its awesome and I rarely need a heater with the shelter and my striker clothes. But night fishing and with kids it gets a little chilly.

Based on that, I would think the Portable Buddy would be plenty of heater for you.  Big Buddy might be overkill.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:56 AM »
I have a Eskimo 949i insulated also.  A regular buddy heater in it will usually have you down to coveralls and a sweatshirt.  Only once have we needed to go to 2 mr buddy heater's when the wind was howling and -10 outside.   

Tinker

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:30 AM »
I really like the idea of the Dyna Glo but already have a regular buddy and big buddy so justifying another heater won't happen anytime soon for me.  I started with a big buddy for my eskimo fatfish 949, then got a regular buddy for my smaller flip over shack when i go alone.  Wish I had known about the dyna glo before I got the big buddy, no ideas about performance but the 360 degree heat for a big pop up seems to make more sense than the heater against one wall.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I am personally not in love with the buddy line of heaters. I know that makes me the exception and not the norm. I have owned several different heaters and they all have there pros and cons. The cons of the big buddy are it rips through little one pound canisters, it very finicky if there are any wind gusts as you open your shack or slightly bump it, it goes out. Also the ceramic heating stones are fragil and I broke one on my big buddy and have had a couple failed attempts at getting the right replacement part. For my money the best heater I have ever used is a double burner sunflower mounted directly to the tank. It is fully adjustable from low to high for just one or both burners. It is all the heat you will ever need and you can have several trips of nice warm heat without worrying if the green bombs rolling around in your truck are going to be to froze up to run your heater. Some people hook up there big buddies to #20 tanks with a hose, but talk about cumbersome and bulky. I know you can argue that the regular buddy is all he needs but why not buy a heater that will fit every scenario or possible upgrade (big family sized double hub?)

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:29 PM »
I also have the 949I and you will be fine down to zero with a buddy, below that I recommend the big buddy.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I've never been in a situation in which I wished I had less options for temp control, but many times when I wish I had more.    Go with the Big Buddy and dial er down if need be.  You won't be disappointed. 

sunniewally

« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Big buddy! Got all temps covered.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Gotta look at where the OP lists as his location before making store recommendations. 

The nearest Menards is quite a haul from SW Montana. He could order online and have it shipped but by the time all of the costs are added up he'd be better off finding one locally.  Then he sends in the rebate form for the 11%, waits a few weeks for the rebate coupon to arrive in the mail and now he basically has a Menards gift card and no store anywhere near him where he can use it at.  So to use it he has to order online again, add in any shipping costs, etc. Just too big of a hassle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.