Author Topic: securing pop up shanty  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
securing pop up shanty
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:07 PM »
Last year while fishing in upstate New York we ran into 40+ mph winds. I had it anchored inside and out on all four corners but the wind kept blowing in under the side the wind was blowing. Then I put slush on the flap on that side. Now when the gusts came it kept blowing in the hub on that side? Any suggestions?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: securing pop up shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:13 PM »
On the outside attach rope or long strap to the hub on the windward side. Put in a ice anchor and tie off to it. Should hold the hub out and keeping the wind from blowing it in if you have it secured properly.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Corner towards the wind. paracord from middle of two upwind hubs to stake in the ice and then all four corners staked in. Make sure your door is on the downwind side

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:18 PM »
I have heard of guys laying a log chain or bicycle inner tubes filled with sand on the flap.  Clam came out with some sort of flap tube for this exact purpose.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/fish-trap-skirt-snake.html

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:26 PM »
I do secure the hubs with strap anchored to ice on all 4 sides outside. Maybe 40 mph is just to strong to keep down.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:35 PM »
keep the ice anchors for the hubs as far out as you can, with-in reason. it helps to put a better side pull on them than having them close. having them close pulls down more than pull outwards, so they don't help as much from collapsing hubs.

the ice shaving from making holes should go to the inside and on the side the wind is blowing on. i just use my feet to slide it over to it. if you use a sled, you could put that with what ever weight you have in it and keep it on the windward side flap.

you can go to harbor freight or where ever to buy a grommet kit and install some on the flaps so you screw in one ice anchor per corner and one in the middle of them.

you should check the anchors you use and make sure they have the large washer on the shaft so it can touch the grommets so they can't slide up on them.
maybe you can have them added if they don't have them. take them to a metal fabricator if you don't weld.

i like using the motorcycle hold down straps the best instead of the ratchet straps for pulling the hubs out.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:45 PM »
I do secure the hubs with strap anchored to ice on all 4 sides outside. Maybe 40 mph is just to strong to keep down.
I had been thinking that same exact thing!! I didn't want to appear to be a wise azz, but  that's what I was thinking!! Some good suggestions for your problem though! Maybe using several together will help solve your problem! Tight lines!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:52 PM »
3300 kind of put everything together but yeah 40mph might be too much. I've been out in 25-30mph and didn't have much of a problem once we got setup. I've also seen ice anchors rip out during late ice, the wind almost destroyed a buddies pop up. Best bet might be to wait for less wind

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2017, 07:06 AM »
What 3300 said. I use the grommets also. I have a Clam Vista 6x6 that I have put grommets in the flap. I put the ice anchors in the windward side before I pop up the roof and sides.. This really helps me set up.
Oops! is too late.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Best anchors I know of is to drill holes for anchor points and use pieces of wood with rope/paracord with the wood turned sideways under the ice to tie off to.
Bud

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:01 PM »
I have had to use 8 ice anchors and 4 straps before. 4 anchors, one on each corner of bottom, and 4 out away from tent with straps to the center of each hub. I don't see how it can blow in a hub if you do that. But in 40 mph wind I think I would just go home.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:25 PM »
i had add washers because the grommets tore up in some of the late season upstate NY gusts you mention. May back a few extra to secure the flap on each side until i get a grommet kit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.