Author Topic: My Ice Shack Build  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
My Ice Shack Build
« on: Oct 11, 2017, 01:42 PM »
I have the floor done for my 4 by 7 ice shack for me and my brother (we are both in highchool). I am wanting to use 2by2's for the walls but I don't know the best way to stud them up. I am also going to spray foam the interior. What is the best way to fram up walls? especial with spacing etc. I am not sure what to use on the exterior and or what I should do for a roof??

Please let me know if you know of anything I don't!!

Thanks,
KingPerch

Offline tapone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My Ice Shack Build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Check out the Ice Shack Tips section of the forum. Tons of info in there.
Born to fish, fish to live..... gotta drink something so it might as well be a cold beer!

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Good for you! I built my first house in High School when I was 15 and it was a 4x8 on wheels. The one thing that I would suggest is looking at your size (especially the width). A 4' wide house doesn't give you near the layout of a 5' or 6' wide house. I am not sure whether this will be on wheels, or if you are bound by trailer limitations. Regarding the wall building - Are you trying to make a light house or one that will last a while? I used 2 x 2's every 16" when I did mine. If I were to build it today, I would have built a 6'x8' house with 2x3's spaced every 24".

I actually pulled the old 20 yr old shack out of the trees a few years back and refurbished it! Here is a link to the rebuild

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=317674.msg3343716#msg3343716

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I am limited on room with my trailer, I wish I would have gotten a bigger one! But being its only for me and my brother there is no need for something so big. I have started studding out the 2by2's every 16 inches. I am trying to make the shack as light as possible... How should I do the roofing... and what is best to put under the skis for easier gliding that doesn't get stuck to ice?

Pictures of the bottom.... (Don't give me a hard time I'm not a carpenter!)

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:40 PM »
No hard time to give here~! I appreciate the fact that you are taking the time build it yourself and ask questions! Regarding the runners, I suggest going to menards and getting a sheet of 1/4" HPDE (https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/plastic/1-4-x-4-x-8-hdpe-panel/p-1444424093579.htm). Snap a chalk line and use your circular saw to cut strips the width of your runners. You are going to want to use a large pan head screw to connect the plastic to your runners. Are you planning on pushing this out by hand from shore waiting until the ice is thick enough to drive it out?

As far as the roof goes, you can either have it all slope one direction like I did, or jig up some rafters. To me, having it slope one direction is the easiest, but you will need to make hole-side wall 6" shorter than the door side (assuming that you are going to put the door on the long side?)

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Is the HPDE stuff tough enough to be dragged over concrete multiple times throughout the season? I plan on using my flip over or hub shack until it is thick enough to take the sled out...  That's what I was thinking with the roof as well. As for the outside of the walls what should I go with that is light but sturdy? My biggest Gripe right now is hoping that the walls will be sturdy enough...

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2017, 03:29 PM »
the 1/4" HPDE is what all of the folks making aluminum skid house are using. As far as the siding goes, I put 1/2" OSB on mine when I redid it - If i were to do it again I would do 3/8" OSB. The OSB will hold up as long as you keep paint on it

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:11 PM »
I just looked again at your pictures.... The one downfall that I can see is that you didn't use treated material for your flooring. Untreated pine and OSB isn't going to last nearly as long, but there are some things that you can do to help extend the life. I suggest sealing up every joint where to pieces of wood come together with some high quality silicone, apply it liberally! This includes between the runners, along the floor joists, and also along the entire perimeter of your OSB. Next, I would make sure to paint the base as you have it now with two coats of paint. Between the paint and silicone, you are going to double the life of your base.... Just my two cents.

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I just bought these two things after school and will apply tomorrow after school :D, Why do you say OSB for the walls? And what do you think I should do for the roofing? .... Maybe OSB as well?

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:22 PM »
You can use osb on the roof, but you need something on top of it... either a sheet of aluminum, galvanized, or even light weight ribbed steel. The osb won't last long by itself. I've never seen it done, but you could almost use the remaining hpde that is left from the runners.... basically something that is going to shed water

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:39 AM »
I have a ton of steel siding off of our pool bar that I can use. As the floor goes.... should I insulate it? Also, what needs to be written on the side of my shack?

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I have a ton of steel siding off of our pool bar that I can use. As the floor goes.... should I insulate it? Also, what needs to be written on the side of my shack?

I am not too familiar with your location... How cold does it get? What are you planning on using for heat and insulation for the rest of the house? I didn't have any insulation on the floor of my 4x8 and can't say that we needed it.... then again, there wasn't enough room to take our shoes off and walk around in either.

Every state is different, but it looks like michigan requires that you put your name and address on all sides of the shack at least 2" high.. seems a little over kill.

Check out page 62
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/2016-2017MIFishingGuide_515573_7.pdf

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2017, 01:41 PM »
It doesn't get anywhere close to being below 0... It gets down into the single digits but never lasts for long... I plan on Using my Mr. buddy heater and hooking it up to a gas grill tank and running a line from the bench where I will be sitting. I Will be using 2 inch. foam or Spray foam. Not quite sure yet!

That's over kill it seems!! But I will do some more checking around :D

Question for siding... I love the looks of Pine or cedar tonge n groove and have a ton of it laying around... How would I attach this properly? I would wrap the house in Tyvek first and then caulk the Tong n groove as well...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2017, 06:05 PM »
This whole thread is really cool
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2017, 06:12 PM »
This whole thread is really cool
.                                                                                     I agree, nice to see the exchange of ideas and questions. Enjoy the homebuilt  approach.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:22 PM »
It doesn't get anywhere close to being below 0... It gets down into the single digits but never lasts for long... I plan on Using my Mr. buddy heater and hooking it up to a gas grill tank and running a line from the bench where I will be sitting. I Will be using 2 inch. foam or Spray foam. Not quite sure yet!

That's over kill it seems!! But I will do some more checking around :D

Question for siding... I love the looks of Pine or cedar tonge n groove and have a ton of it laying around... How would I attach this properly? I would wrap the house in Tyvek first and then caulk the Tong n groove as well...

Is it a standard or big buddy heater? While I love the spray foam I have in my big wheel house, I would just stick with sheet foam. 1.5" is as thick as you will be able to go with 2x2's. 

So- are you talking toungue and groove on the inside? First off, if you are looking to do pine on the inside I wouldn't put on but the 5/16" menards stuff. I guess if you are trying to keep the weight down I would just leave the inside bare with foam. Make sure to pay for the good foam... not the beaded white stuff.  If you are talking toungue and groove on the outside, I am assuming that it is the 3/4" exterior stuff.... which is going to get really heavy really fast.

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I wont be using tongue and groove, good point made :D

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:04 PM »
are you going to tin the outside or just run osb?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:18 PM »
are you going to tin the outside or just run osb?
When you mention tin, I didn[t know if you were thinking of that stuff that newspapers use, it comes pretty cheap and works very well for the out side of a shanty.
Thread killer

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:25 PM »
What tin?? Where would I get it?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2017, 10:46 PM »
What tin?? Where would I get it?
Paper printing machines use aluminum plates about 24 inches by 36 inches to roll the ink on to the paper.  Newspaper businesses will let them go for a dollar or so, maybe less.  The sheets are light, very durable, and the price is right.  One can pound a small nail or drive a screw through quite easily. glue sticks well too.
When I fished the snowbelt, it was much better than having a tar paper shack.
Thread killer

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2017, 10:52 PM »
So how would I get this living in a small town?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2017, 10:55 PM »
So how would I get this living in a small town?
Aaah, drive to a bigger town?  Maybe call around to papers first.
Thread killer

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2017, 01:21 AM »
Just to be clear... I was curious whether you were going to use the steel ribbed sheets that you were pulling off the building for your outside layer.  Because if you're going to use some sort of outside metal, you can get by with a lot lighter inside wood product

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:29 AM »
I have built deer blinds using OSB - we just painted the wood. they sit outside 24/7 and last for years. You could just paint the wood and save on money and weight on your build.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Another very lightweight material for your outside siding is Coroplast. It's like plastic cardboard.  I believe you can find it at a Lowe's store.
https://www.boxforless.com/corrugated-plastic-sheets/
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:46 AM »
What do you mean lighter wood rl_sd? Will coroplast last?

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:00 PM »
If you are going to put tin on the outside you could get by with 1/4" osb on the outside.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 16, 2017, 04:07 PM »
What do you mean lighter wood rl_sd? Will coroplast last?
Coroplast should last, it's plastic!! It might be a little spendy, and require some care in attaching it to the house! You could use it for the external sheathing over your 2x3's, use foam insulation between them and some lightweight plywood on the inside! Good luck with your build, and let us know how it works out for you!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2017, 07:58 PM »
how should I apply the coroplast to my 2by2's? and o they hold and don't fall out??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.