Author Topic: lighting for flip over sled  (Read 6909 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lighting for flip over sled
« on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:06 PM »
someone did a mod to their flip over where they added an LED light strip. it ran off of a 12 volt battery and had switches. I have tried the search option but nothing comes up. Not sure if it is working. all posts that used photo bucket are not showing photos. Trying to figure out how to wire up the strip to battery and on/off switch. I'm the type that needs photos. instructions to go with pics is helpful too.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: lighting for flip over sled
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Best lights I've seen. One strip lights my otter no problem. Recommended to many people who had other lights. Adhesive back worried me but after 3 years it would take 3 hours and a razor blade to get them off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2HK0LY/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1505949671&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ledjump+12v&dpPl=1&dpID=41tbfy5RIIL&ref=plSrch

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Fixed the picture links in my post. This is the best way I could come up with to light my flip.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333312.0

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Here's some posts of a few I've done, some of my pics disappeared so I will see what I can get back up

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336031.0

This my newest flip

this is my old flip but i do still use the battery box i built in my new one

a couple we did on fishon1's flip, we rigged his to plug into a jump box cig plug

and heres some i put on my boat

on all these LED strip lights I soldiered wire to the ends, some to DC power plugs and you can cut the lights at every 3rd light for a custom fit. There are a lot of youtube videos for doing this. I watched alot before starting to use these. The LED strips come with a sticky tape back but i also put some 3M tape thats used to stick car emblems on with and its held up very good so far
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:48 PM »
these are great! Thanks. I ordered from Ebay the super bright, 5 meter 600 led light strip and the in-line  LED dimmer. simplest on/off switch. Hopefully, 1 strip will be enough.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2017, 11:18 PM »
No prob, there were alot of pics in the shanty section but since the whole photobucket deal most are gone now
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Hey rdhammah this is the tape I used for sticking the lights down

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38583-Exterior-Attachment-Tape/dp/B00JR4D7AA
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:40 PM »
I went with fog lights for mine here is a picture of the fog lights got them on ebay.. DC wiring is typical and should be Farley stright forward.. the plus to the plus (red) and minus to minus (black) I even wired my flasher etc to the shanty.. most all wiring is 12 volt so if multiple batteries they are parallel same with any wiring you can run one long set of wires "like a black and a red.."" and parallel inbetwen the wires is the devise like connect plus to plus... like plus of the devise to plus of the battery lead same with the minus... you could connect more then one devise along that main battery run..  like flasher and ten  led strips.. this is  as long as your not connecting plus of one device to the minus of another in other words series connection threw each device you shold be fine.. if you series batteris they double thier power two 12 volt Batteriesgive 24 volts .. etc etc..

Pic of fog light you just need one mounted low so you don't throw shadows when fishing crappie..

Picture of two fog lights in action showen with the flasher I mounted in my one man..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2017, 05:54 PM »
ok. getting some dbl sided tape from friend that owns a body shop. question on cutting the strip. do you cut like in the middle of 2 lights. how do you add wire to the cut strip? I'll need like 1/4 inch to twist on/solder wire

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Google "led strip light soldiering". Theres some good youtube videos, you don't need much heat on these to get it done. It goes really quick. There's also instructions on cutting them & stripping back the rubber coating to expose the areas where you soldier
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2017, 12:50 AM »
ok. getting some dbl sided tape from friend that owns a body shop. question on cutting the strip. do you cut like in the middle of 2 lights. how do you add wire to the cut strip? I'll need like 1/4 inch to twist on/solder wire

The strip lights have printed cut lines that show where to make the cut. The cut points also show the positive and negative locations. The lights are made up of a number of series/parallel circuits. One complete unit consists of three LED lights and a small resistor in series together. A 5 meter strip will have 100 of these circuits. At the cut points there is a copper foil that can be used to solder onto. You can also purchase solderless connectors that attach to the lights using a small screw.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2017, 05:57 AM »
thank you, Musky and Buddy

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2017, 07:38 AM »
No prob rdhammah, like buuddy said there is connectors you can get for them but I opted for the soldier connection as I felt this would be the most solid connection to make to something thats going to be bouncing down the trail behind my sled or wheeler. The reviews I read on the connectors did not give me much confidence in using them. Now I didnt personally use them so you just have to take reviews for what they are. I do and have soldiered quite a bit so I felt that was the most easiest option in my case. Its your call, the connectors are very inexpensive to purchase if your not comfortable doing some soldiering on the small copper foil areas. keep us posted on how it turns out  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:16 AM »
For the few times I stay out past dark jiggin for walleyes, my LX-5 gives off plenty of light!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Are there any pros/cons to installing the lights on the upper beams vs the front of the sled vs on the metal joints where the beams connect? Any trouble with the double sided tape failing in the cold?
Da Pack!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:41 AM »
With using the 3M tape I specified above, I have had no probs with the weather affecting it. Down to -20 one weekend trip last winter. Now not being a little carefuller loading it in the truck with other equipment, yes I ripped the wires off one of my sides on the pole bracket but the lights are still intact
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Here is a screen grab from years past when we were talking about adding lights and accessories to the shacks. This should help all who are looking at the wiring and how to do this. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:20 PM »
re the connectors, I was one video which said that the connectors should not be used with the super bright light strip. I will be soldering.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I'm my opinion soldier is better, the tricky part is getting just the right amount on the foil strip. I may have went a little overboard but I put a drop of marine 3M rtv on the solder area and then shrink tubed it. You can see it in my pics. Some was green shrink tube some black. I forgot to mention that my top light is a homemade light bar. I made it from some aluminum stock and cut it to fit. I mounted it with some wing nuts so it's removable. You also can see it mounted in my pics.  Did you watch any of the soldier videos?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

CowDawg

« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2017, 09:31 PM »
You guys got my ice blood flowin.... lol   Just ordered some LED strip lighting for my Shappell.. 

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2017, 10:16 PM »
The way I made my solder connections was to tin the wire with solder and then put the wire on the LED solder point. Reheat the wire and there should be enough solder on the previously tinned wire to finish the job, no extra solder will be needed.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2017, 11:02 PM »
I tinned mine also but added a little bit to each foil, I imagine I could have gotten away with just the tin. Force of habit from work not to wick the wire though
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2017, 09:54 AM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Great set-up matzilla  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Love the vertical rod holders inside the sled. Genius!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 02, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Musky, can I use 20 guage speaker wire for this? I just tried 18 guage solid phn wire but is too stiff and keeps snapping off. thinking that the strand wire is more flexible and more forgiving. the phn wire is all Lowes had as far as small guage wire.
I have some old telephone wire that only had 4 wires in it. would that work? I am lighting up 600 LED lights

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Oct 02, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Thats funny you mention that cause I experienced the same issue and yes I went to speaker wire. Have not had 1 problem with it
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Are there any pros/cons to installing the lights on the upper beams vs the front of the sled vs on the metal joints where the beams connect? Any trouble with the double sided tape failing in the cold?

Yes there can be problems when mounted to upper beams of a flip..  you can show fish your there by casting shadows down the hole.. I think some one told me about it so I moved mine lower I think it was 3300 or hard water die hard..  that told me that..  and ya condensation cause some tapes to fall off in cold so you may have to find what works for you.. I have had similar problems it all in the adhesive so be aware what you bought last..  if you have to try some thing different it happens I used 3m brand gorilla glue brand and loc tite brand all are diffrent .. and also depends on weather it's on.. like foam or rubber etc on how well it sticks to the metal or surface..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Thats funny you mention that cause I experienced the same issue and yes I went to speaker wire. Have not had 1 problem with it
went to Home Depot. they had 18 ga and 24 ga speaker wire. no 20. thinking 24 ga is too light?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:34 PM »
I would used the 18ga
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.