Author Topic: portable shelters  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
portable shelters
« on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:14 PM »
just wondering who all purchased new portables this year and looking for any feedback on make and quality of material,ease of set up and take down,and how it stand;s up on windy day's.any like's or dislike's .

Offline BoSmith

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: portable shelters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:14 PM »
I just got one of those quick pop up huts. The one that packs into a back pack. Stayed warm enough at -25, but with no wind. I think that one may be a little tough to manage in the high winds. It might as well be a sail for ice boarding.
Fish On---<,(((,><

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:46 AM »
fish trap yukon. won't look back!

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:02 AM »
I bought the fish trap guide series, one step lower than the yukon. Love it! Wanted the Yukon, but I am still in chiropractic school on a short budget- great shack for the price-I picked it up for 300 at Gander. It is a two seater, but I left one seat out for now for extra room for all my gear, and I normally fish in it myself anyways. Great material, extra storage pouches, storage hamuck under each seat, two vent windows on the side,window in front n back, zipper D door in front- so you don't have to lift the trap, door in back for optional hookup to another shack( a fishing buddy), easy to put up n take down,  easy to load/unload, roomy, easy to move from one spot to another. I have mine set up with lights, lots of room with my vex, heater, 2-3 holes drilled, bucket, rods ect. I was out on it on a few days w 20+ mile/hr winds and it did good.
Overall great shack! Even thought I really like this shack- if I wasn't on a short budget I would have bought the Yukon so I could stand up in it and I tend to set the hook like I am throwing the rod over my head so that little extra room would be nice.

Offline cmc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:07 AM »
I have a Yukon fish trap and I have not found any thing I do not like about it . This the second season that I have used it and there is still no problems.

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I have an HT popup. I picked it up for $65 at Cabela's bargain cave off season.It is easy to set up but not that good in the wind.  It is not as big as I would have liked and the material is very light. 2 of us fish in it with all of our gear.The price was right but you get what you pay for. Next shelter will be a 2 man flip over. I will look in the spring for some end of season bargains at Scheels, Home of Economy, Cabela's in Grand Forks

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:47 AM »
i got one of the shapel dx 4000's last year. came with skis that pop down from the shelter. the first time i brought it out i lost one of the roof suport beams so i have been using it with only one suport in the roof. i havent had any problems yet and it has been out over night in 40+ MPH winds. shapel was realy good about sending a new beam for me at a very reasonable price. the only drawback is the size when not in use. other than that i would strongly recomend

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:51 AM »
i bought a fish trap yukon a couple of years ago, i ended up getting it for about 250.00.  the wife and kid use it and it has a nice design the only thing that i do not like is the weight, it gets heavy. 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I am looking at a purchasing a shelter myself, so the consensus is the fish trap?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:36 AM »
buy the best you can afford. Not knocking the cheap shelters, but if you are going to use it a good bit during the season, and not twice a year, buy a fish trap or one of the otters. I went a whole season without a shelter, just to save enough to buy my yukon the next summer. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:58 PM »
got the quick fish 6  6'x12' so far really like it very fast and easy to set up have had not trouble with the wind yet they have a good set of ice screws with it. built a floor for it so it is very comfortable now.
Tim

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2008, 02:01 PM »
I have the 4 man Ice Cube and I couldn't be happier!

Offline TomToolery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:19 PM »
I have an HT popup. I picked it up for $65 at Cabela's bargain cave off season.It is easy to set up but not that good in the wind.  It is not as big as I would have liked and the material is very light. 2 of us fish in it with all of our gear.The price was right but you get what you pay for. Next shelter will be a 2 man flip over. I will look in the spring for some end of season bargains at Scheels, Home of Economy, Cabela's in Grand Forks
...take some bungee cords and hook above the first joint to the anchor screw to keep the rods from folding in the winds   works great  Tom

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Too Bad they still don't (can't) sell the Eskimos here. Was lucky enough to pick up a used Quick Flip II Deluxe (was like new) & this thing is sooooooo sweet. Quick set up, lighter than the other sleigh models & I can bring EVERYTHING with me if I chose to walk: auger, heater, propane, lantern, & all fishing gear. Pulls so easy compared to others. Have set it up in 55+ km winds with no problems. Plenty of space for 2 people, easy to keep warm & LOVE that bench. Made a few nice attachments to maximize space.
I'd strongly recommend to anyone who's thinking about picking one up in the US. Worth every penny. Don't forget to get a cover with it.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Depends...if you have a snowmobile, I'd say the Otter Magnum Lodge or Fish Trap Voyager is the way to go.  Pricey, but high quality.  Pulling by hand? I first bought an HT Polar Iceman 2nd hand at first because thats all I could afford, material was pretty weak so I moved on to the 4 Man Ice cube last year....I found it limited my mobility, so I sold it this year and bought an Otter Den.  I still think the Ice Cube is a decent shelter, especially if you like to set up and fish a spot.
Let there be ice.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:49 PM »
I picked up an otter pro den small package a little while ago. Not only did i get it at a great price material and craftsmanship are second to none. It is the perfect size for one person and all their gear. Haven't had to pull it through any deep snow yet but I don't think that it will be a problem. I believe that otter still has them for sale on their site.
Dave

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Know what you mean about those Otters. Talk about heavy duty construction. Saw some americans at BB with them  & couldn't believe how good they were built, but there's no way you're pulling that by hand......sled or quad a must. They had the Resort & Lodge models which I believe are the 2 & 3 man models.

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:53 PM »
I purchased the Fishtrap Pro for myself and a Fishtrap Scout for my son this year. I can get both into my truck at the same time and they are both highly mobile on the ice. I really like them.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Just an FYI for anyone- Reeds Sporting Goods out of Minnesota just put the Fish Trap YUKON on sale for $399, Great Price!

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:13 PM »
i also have a eastman ice cube 2 man just wondering if anybody has noticed a lot of small pin holes in there ice cube as well.

Offline gater man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:25 PM »
 8) 8)I bought a 2 man Frabrill trekker flip up it has 2 seats the sleigh is very easy to pull  It sets up very easy.I love it.
TEAM ICE SHANTY

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:17 PM »
i also have a eastman ice cube 2 man just wondering if anybody has noticed a lot of small pin holes in there ice cube as well.

They all seem to do that (I've been in 4 or 5 different ones).  They do get worse over time, but I haven't seen one wear through yet...
Let there be ice.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Depends...if you have a snowmobile, I'd say the Otter Magnum Lodge or Fish Trap Voyager is the way to go.  Pricey, but high quality.  Pulling by hand? I first bought an HT Polar Iceman 2nd hand at first because thats all I could afford, material was pretty weak so I moved on to the 4 Man Ice cube last year....I found it limited my mobility, so I sold it this year and bought an Otter Den.  I still think the Ice Cube is a decent shelter, especially if you like to set up and fish a spot.
Ash....
I'd like to know what you meant by "it limited my mobility"?
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Frabils are HEAVY compared to Eskiomo & others. Also not as easy to pull.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:11 AM »
I move around a lot when I fish....it takes longer to set up and take down the Ice Cube than it does to set up an Otter or similar type of shelter, especially if it is windy out and you are by yourself.  It depends on your style of fishing....if you prefer to set up on a spot and spend a few hours there, the difference probably doesn't matter.  But if you are moving every 15 minutes, a sled type quickflip is the way to go.
Let there be ice.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Sorry Blue, I think I would side with Ash, while the cube is amazing as far as getting to the spot, and setting up is fast enough, it is a bit worry some to tear down and move (time in the cold +wind). I think i would like the otter better too, but it is big, so I would need a trailer to haul it and a snowmobile, but once on the lake mobility would be better. (and I told the wife I thought I didn't need any more Ice fishing stuff  ::))

Oh and coleman, you need those holes for venting the cube with your heater in there ;D ::), yes there all like that, I was concerned too where I first set mine up.

Offline Popsicle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Last year I purchased an Eskimo Quik flip II just before they were yanked off the shelves.
It has been great. Plenty of room to store my Jiffy and auger blade, propane tank and heater, fish graph, small shovel, rods, tackle and a small cooler with lunch.

I also have the Sleigh hitch to tow it behind my snowmobile.
This is where I found a weekness in what was an almost perfect ice shack.
The light weight plastic sleigh tray it all fits into proved insuficient on the hard ice trails left behind in a slushy lake. The front corners took a pounding.

It turns out that the Jet Sled XL from the Fishin' Hole is a very good (and tough) replacement. Very few mods. were needed to swap out the sleighs.

It's how I made a great shack even better.
A bad day at the lake still beats armchair fishing.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:45 PM »
why did they pull the quick flip II from the shelves?
I have a 4 man ice cube and am getting a flip type two man
So I can move and set up quick. The cube was great for
two seasons but now I want to move up.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Eskimos were pulled last year because some yahoo in Alberta burnt his down around himself while drunk. Then, he had the audacity to complain to the gov't that it wasn't fire retardant enough so CSA started testing all shacks.
They're back on the market this year because of new & supposedly better fire retardant.

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:43 PM »
will Eskimo QFII bench hold
my 300 lbs and someone else?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.