Author Topic: Ice Fishing Sleds  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Sleds
« on: Sep 19, 2007, 12:18 PM »
What kind of sleds (not snowmobiles...) do you guys use to tow your ice fishing gear? I don't have a snomobile, so I'll be pulling one by hand. I'll have a power auger, ice cube, buckets, rods and tackle and maybe a backpack.

Can anyone refer any good sleds that would fit that ammount of gear in? I saw one at Canadian Tire for $40 that is only 39" long and I was wondering if there were any out there a bit longer.

What's out there?

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
Re: Ice Fishing Sleds
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:02 PM »
I purchased a medium sized Otter II for $119.00 I believe about mid of last winter from Wholesale Sports.  It is a larger sized sled (64" L x 32" W x 12" H) that carries an all my stuff (2 buckets, ice auger, tackle backpack etc...) with lots of room to spare.  It is the first sled I have used that I have not cursed for one reason or another, I guess that makes it the best one.

I looked around at a lot of other alternatives, but never found an adequate substitute.  The closest thing I found was a calving sled sold at the Neepawa/Gladstone CO-OP.  I settled on buying a purpose built ice fishing sled and I bought the additional runner kit for it ($54.99 or something).  However since I pull it mostly by hand I made a large rope loop for drawing it rather than buying the atv/snowmobile hitch addition.  Also I have the benefit of buying a portable Otter Medium Cabin that can just snap on top of my sled once that makes it in to my budget or perhaps on to my Christmas list.

I think it is hard to beat this type of purpose built equipment if for no other reason than the accessories and the versatility.  There are Jett brand sleds too but I do not know where to get them here in SE Manitoba.

If I were you I might ask them at Wholesale Sports if they have any left tucked away in the back, I bet you could get a heck of a deal if you don't wait too much longer. 
Ian Kirby

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Hey man, thanks for that info. That is a sweet sled. I used to have a sled that I made , but it really sucked.... Too heavy. I didn't think I'd have to pay that much, but I guess I need to cause I really want that style of a sled.

I checked out the shanty add on. Cool.

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:25 PM »
I used to have a sled that I made , but it really sucked.... Too heavy.
I used to say the same thing and then one day after years of use my home made one expired when I was about 1.75 miles out on Lake Manitoba perch hunting.  After making two trips that distance back to shore in gale force winds, two feet of snow and uphill each way (at least that's how it felt) at the end of the day $119.00 seemed like one hell of a bargin.

Also I meant to say in my first post that at 30lbs for the sled alone it may seem like its heavy but with the runners at least it pulls like a dream.  Fully loaded with gear and food for 6 for a full day it still has better flotation than I do with snowshoes on. 
Ian Kirby

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Check out the Home Hardware catalogue.They had both a few years ago................... .........and may still carry them.If no Wpg location for them there is one in Selkirk.

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2007, 06:13 AM »
I have a Jet Sled for early ice and when there is no need for a shelter...very nice, and pulls very easy.  Only complaint is that it is thin material, and after dragging it behind the snowmobile on gravel, I chewed up the bottom...so added some teflon runners, and now its better than ever.  Tracks much better with the runners too.
Let there be ice.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Like Ashnohgrimbatul, I have a Jet Sled (about 55" long, 24" wide with about 9 or 10" sides) that I pull by hand.  It gets everything you mentioned into it, and pulls easily.  I haven't pulled it on gravel, so the bottom is still pretty slick.  I got it at The Fishin' Hole in Wpg. but had to put a hold on one before winter started, because they sell out super quick once their order comes in.  Cost was around $70, but it sure beats the long Canadian Tire toboggan I used to use.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Just bought the otter magnum sled     wow   big....    but bought it due to it was cheaper local with the hitch  (200) and ordered the big otter tent 12 x6
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Boatless this is a great sled sounds like you fish like myself .I purchased a duck Decoy sled from cabelas look in the duck hunting section.(not ice fishing) because these sleds are for hauling duck decoys. I bolted two strips of wood to the sides two 1/4 thick panels off of that with a box on top. Buckets ,tipups icedrill etc on bottom. and tackle on top.
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I have an older Husky sled ......they have a newer updated model available at Arctic Cat dealers. If you are pulling by hand the calving sleds at Feedrite are worth  a look. :)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2007, 10:32 PM »
If you are pulling by hand, I would not go with an Otter sled.  I have one that I pull behind a machine and I specifically bought it because they are pretty indestructible....but they are very heavy.  I would do a Jet sled and  would even consider putting a set of skis under it.  The less surface area you have on the snow, the better. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline ickirby

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Pirate!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:31 AM »
If you are pulling by hand, I would not go with an Otter sled.

Oh yeah Boatless, holehopper might be right.  When I said it sounded heavy but it pulls nicely I forgot to mention that I'm a 6'2" and 325lbs athlete and I only have one gear while on foot.... LOW

He is also right about them being relatively indestructible too, which was a major selling feature for me.

Ian Kirby

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2007, 05:24 AM »
I've had the Otter small sled for 4 years and absolutely love it. I bought it because it was built sturdy and not flimsy like a Jet Sled. I've never had any problems pulling it with all my gear in it(flasher, rods, coleman cooler, buddy heater). If you want something that will last you a long time, get an Otter. If you only want something that will get you by for a few years, get another brand. They're definately worth it if you like things that last!
If you can, look at both side by side. You'll see how much sturdier the otter sled is. You also get 2 extra inches of width.
Here's the specifics of the jet sled and the otter sled...
Jet Sled Dimensions: 54"L x 24"W x 10"H 12.5lbs.
Otter Small Sled Dimensions: 54"L x 26"W x 10"H. Wt: 16lbs 
I looked at Marine General's website and they show both costing $50 each.
Ken                                          

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2007, 10:00 AM »
I have 2 pull sleds 1 by man power the other by snowmoblie.They are called calf sleds not heavy easy to pull .The one I pull myself I have a deer sling on a rope works well over the shoulders and I can still haul a auger and tackle,about 70.00 .My other has a spring loaded  hitch still light enough load 0ne person 6ft long.I had a custom tarp made for 100.00 .The slay cost 300.00 both are bullet proof with nice high sides.Be careful not to get to big of one.I was talking to a CO on Lake Manitoba they have a 8ft when empty catchs to much wind turns upside down.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Boatless, I just go to Toys R Us or Canadian Tire and buy a cheap-o 20 buck kids tobagan made of light weight plastic... the black ones are best. The things only weigh a couple pounds dry and even start to blow away on the ice if empty and the wind picks up a bit. Put a good long tow rope with body loop for pulling and the things slide like a dream with 75 pounds of gear in them. Only thing is that they have very low sides so I drilled holes to attatch bungee cords to hold gear fast during pulling. They last for years if the kids don't get hold of them.

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Boatless

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I used one of those sleds for the past couple years firefights. They're nice, but I wanted something a little more solid this year. I acutally ordered the Jet Sled from Cabela's late last week. It should arrive in the next couple of days. I got the 54" x 24" model for $40 plus shipping. Sure beats the $90ish plus tax they wanted for it at the local stores in Winnipeg.

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:32 AM »
I purchased a duck Decoy sled from cabelas look in the duck hunting section.(not ice fishing) because these sleds are for hauling duck decoys. I bolted two strips of wood to the sides two 1/4 thick panels off of that with a box on top. Buckets ,tipups icedrill etc on bottom. and tackle on top.

I also bought the "Duck decoy boat" from Cabelas.  It's the same size as the Jet Sled but made of heavier material.  I also bought the Jet Sled cover and it fits the decoy boat like a glove.  I installed those cheap Berkley horizontal rod holders inside to hold my jigging rods.  It's got a ton of room for several 5 gallon buckets of stuff and minnow buckets.  Auger and Pak Shack goes on top with a couple of bungee cords to hold everything in place.  Cover on and I'm good to go.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.