Author Topic: Ice Auger stuck in ice  (Read 6383 times)

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger stuck in ice
« on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Auger will not come out of the hole. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions how to get it out?

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger stuck in ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:09 PM »
go backwards ....

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Tried going backwards but it only comes so far and won't budge any further.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:14 PM »
If you can still move it a bit. Get it up as far as you can, start it up, and give it full throttle while pulling up. Might go down a bit but lift up hard. Might work?

Offline MATHESAN ISLAND MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:49 PM »
PIPEWRENCH WITH 2 FOOT PIPE ON END GOOD LUCK

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Did you get it out??

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I have seen several abandoned auger legs stuck in the ice, the best way is to get another auger and drill around the perimeter and then chisel by hand.  Its lots of work but it will save your leg and about $175.00.   You risk bending the flighting and wrecking the leg if you are too tough on it.  There was a discussion about this on the Sask site also.  Some guy got the leg stuck, went to get some tools from his home and the leg was gone when he came back! 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Fireguy1, hope you don't mind me asking, How did it get stuck?

And I hope you get her out...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:59 PM »
I have had this happen to me on 2 occasions with my Jiffy on LW. Both times were in thick ice when I let the ice chips build up past the flyte when drilling & when it broke through the water came up and locked it in the ice. On my Jiffy it is not a simple matter of turning it backwards as you can only do about 1 rotation. MI Man had a good suggestion with the pipe wrench - I carry an axe with me now in case it happens again.

Hope you got it out.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Did you try boiling water??  Heat it up on your Mr Buddy  pour boiling water down...

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Fireguy1, hope you don't mind me asking, How did it get stuck?

And I hope you get her out...

We were drilling a hole and it was just about through when it jammed. It comes up so far then it's just gets stuck. Still out there tonight.

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Did you try boiling water??  Heat it up on your Mr Buddy  pour boiling water down...

I think that this may be our best way to get it out ......

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2013, 04:29 AM »
I thought you may have done something wrong and could share so we don't make the same mistake. It sounds like $hi# happens!

I like Beachcombers' idea with drilling around the perimeter and chiseling, if it fails I would scoop out as much as possible and then boiling water would have a lot less to melt. I would have plenty of boiling water at hand if you try it... Good luck getting her out.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Chip around it with a needle bar.....for you young ones that's a long heavy bar sharpened to a point....it's how we used to make holes through 3 feet of ice before augers.... ::) ::) ::)
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I thought you may have done something wrong and could share so we don't make the same mistake. It sounds like $hi# happens!

I like Beachcombers' idea with drilling around the perimeter and chiseling, if it fails I would scoop out as much as possible and then boiling water would have a lot less to melt. I would have plenty of boiling water at hand if you try it... Good luck getting her out.
mine got stuck last weekend. i would say it was because i didn't go up and down enough to clear the hole before i broke through to water. lucky for me i panicked and floored it and pulled as hard as i could and it came out.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:15 PM »
mine got stuck last weekend. i would say it was because i didn't go up and down enough to clear the hole before i broke through to water. lucky for me i panicked and floored it and pulled as hard as i could and it came out.

I use an auger to drill holes for concrete piers for the pool deck. I didn't do what your are talking about, going up and down enough to clear the hole, it was hopelessly stuck!. I had to dig it out! Didn't make that mistake again. I'll keep it in mind with the ice auger if we get thick ice...

fireguy1, did you get her out?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:09 PM »
On my lakes at this time of the year the lifting in and out to clear the flutes is a heck of a workout but very necessary.  ;)2
I have only had mine stuck once when I let too many chips build up. I didn't make that mistake again.
I was able to work it back out with a little tugging and pulling.

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2013, 12:22 PM »
try growing some muscle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.