Author Topic: propane heaters at Costco  (Read 8946 times)

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
propane heaters at Costco
« on: Dec 04, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I bought the Remington propane heater from Canadian tire for $95.00. It sits on top of a full size propane canister and has two coils and pushes out 34000 BTU. A similar one at costco was going for $65.00. I will be making the exchange. If you are looking for a heater for your portable this looks way cheaper than a "mister buddy". I have never used either the Mr. buddy or the Remington unit that I bought. If the Mr. buddy is more expensive is it better? should i spend the extra money and why? Thanks for any input. I have heard of a few individuals who use their Mr. Buddy to warm Their food!!!

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: propane heaters at Costco
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:44 PM »
The Mr Buddy i think would be a better buy. You have the opposition of using large or small propane tanks. With the others I'm not sure you can use a small the tank  with out it falling over. You would have to purchase a hose to connect a Buddy to a large tank. On days that you want to travel lite this is a nice opposition. ;D

Offline jclutch08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I agree. I bought a dual sunflower heater last year and thought it'd be great. It works fine. I have never had to even light the second burner in my 6 man Eskimo and I had my 2yr old son with me.  The problem is the weight and the fact that it gets a little top heavy on the tank. If you like to run and gun then this heater is gonna prove to be a heavy and awkward addition to your gear, but if you set up and sit in a spot, or only move a couple times then it is likely gonna be just fine with you. The Big Buddy is a more compact version allowing for easier transport and set-up.
Great anglers don't drill better than others, they hammer better

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:04 AM »
The Mr Buddy i think would be a better buy. You have the opposition of using large or small propane tanks. With the others I'm not sure you can use a small the tank  with out it falling over. You would have to purchase a hose to connect a Buddy to a large tank. On days that you want to travel lite this is a nice opposition. ;D
I dont think that Big B is talking about a Big Buddy but just the 2 burner tank top.
The Big Buddy pumps out 18,000 BTU and the Costco dual tank top throws out 30,000BTU. The dual tank top that Mr Buddy has throws out 32,000 BTU.
Now the pros and cons on the Big Buddy vs. the dual tank top....
Dual tank top......
                           good                                                     bad
                 very high output of heat                         smells and may create headaches
                  no need for buying a hose                     outer surface gets hot and can burn a hole in your portable
                 All one unit with tank a top                     Smells and may create headaches
                 Dual positioning of heads                      outer surface gets hot and can burn a hole in your portable
                 quick easy set up                                    Loud

Big Buddy..........
                          good                                                      bad
                  Hot enough for most days                      some days you wish it had more heat
                  no fumes                                                 expensive all said and done $230.00
                  low oxygen sensor shut off                    hard to start some times
                  very quite                                               
                  cool to the touch outer shell           
                  3 heat setting
                  takes 4 D cell batteries for the fan that lasts almost the whole season

These are just some of the things that come to mind. I take my Big Buddy with me on 90% of my outings and on the very cold days it is the dual tank top.
 So with this I hope that you can decide which is the best for you! If you do decide to go with the dual tank top think about the Mr. Heater tank Top they are superior to all other sun flowers!~
Take care and I will see you out on the ice

Mike

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:28 AM »
I have both as well, unfortunately my big buddy is a lemon, very hard to start, I bought a double sunflower last season and I like it, its a little fragile, but love the heat, not kid friendly like the big buddy, everything MNTMAN12 said is accurate, good report, I would recommend having both.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Saw them today, they look good, and at that price it's a no brainer ($67) 

Offline BIG-E

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Bought a Big Buddy last year. First time out with it, light it walk away to get something  come back and flames are shooting out the top. Turn it off, Check all connections and re light it. 1 min later flames out the top. took it back and pick up a sunflower. Never had a problem with them before, dont know why I changed.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Been running a Big Buddy going on 5 years.  I'll never go back to the sunflower heaters.  BB is quiet, efficient, warm, trouble free, doesn't stink like a sunflower heater therefore no headaches, can be placed right up against the portable wall and doesn't burn you, tent material or fishing line upon contact.  Even used it in my double ladder tree stand during the general deer season.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:47 PM »
You can catch the Big Buddy on sale at times.  I believe Princess Auto had them on for less than $200 last year (I think $168, but can't remember for sure).

Offline panfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I have a sunflower heater that screws onto a 20lb tank and I like it. Not sure what brand, I paid 60.00 I think, its 30000 BTU and has an oxygen sensor. Super easy to start, never had a problem, heats an 8 man eskimo shack on high and you can fish in t-shirts. Ive even boiled water on it, you can use it as a mini stove. The only thing I dont like, is if you dont like a bit of noise, its a bit loud, if your not careful, you can burn yourself, but it also last forever on a tank so thats good. My cousin has a big buddy and they're good because theyre silent, and have some cool features, but I think id rater have the one I have now. Mine also doesnt stink like anything at all...
PFB
Looooooooooooove to fish, born to fish.
Let em' big suckers go!

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:39 PM »
You can catch the Big Buddy on sale at times.  I believe Princess Auto had them on for less than $200 last year (I think $168, but can't remember for sure).
At the end of the season last spring they were $100.00.....cant say that we will have any left this coming spring but if we do they will be cheap too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.