Author Topic: Nopiming  (Read 2392 times)

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://i63.tinypic.com/xoeceo.jpg
Nopiming
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:15 AM »
I was curious if anyone knows if the roads are open up in Nopiming over the winter? So many lakes up there that I would like to get into to check out? I don't have a sled so from WPG it would be a disappointing 2.5 hr drive to find out that its a no go!

Offline fishinfirefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nopiming
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Ya most roads up there are open. Not sure how often some get plowed though. What lakes are you looking to fish?

Offline Penn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:44 AM »
The longest I ever got snowed in up there was two days and that storm came on New Year's Eve.  About 14" of the fluffy stuff came down and it was amazing.  Sledded from Long lake to Bissett via Manigatogan and broke trail, that was a workout!!  They are pretty good with the plows when there is a heavy dump

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Ya most roads up there are open. Not sure how often some get plowed though. What lakes are you looking to fish?

I was thinking of trying to get into Seagrim or Tooth? 

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:31 PM »
The 314 will be cleared, so any lake that isn't too far off you won't have a problem with, Seagrim there might be snowmobile trails you can walk on, just make sure that it's a cleared road before you drive on it, have seen and heard of people driving on a snowmobile trail, sometimes you can go a ways.........

Offline jclutch08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I bet most of those snowmobile trails will hold that little civic up no problem! lol This sounds promising for the snowshoes I have requested for Christmas.  I smell a roadtrip.
Great anglers don't drill better than others, they hammer better

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I wouldn't try taking a vehicle down an SnoMad trail or big fine, or at least stuck. 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I mean a ungroomed trail, just because a snowmobile packed down a 10 foot wide trail doesn't make it soild

Offline jclutch08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I know, I was only kidding. We gotta try gettin out there once it freezes up good though Wood.
Great anglers don't drill better than others, they hammer better

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:47 AM »
I know, I was only kidding. We gotta try gettin out there once it freezes up good though Wood.

Yeah for sure.  Head up there sooner than later, before we get a good amount of snow.  I would'nt imagine those lakes see much fishing pressure over the winter?

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they do get some pressure, there are many ice fishers who are more serious then the majority who think the only lake in Manitoba is Lake Winnipeg.

Even the traffic up in the Bissett area is there in winter, probably more so on smaller lakes

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:13 PM »
seagrim is actually the third lake in on that portage route, so if your actually going to that lake, you'll have a good hike on foot. was up that way last year and the slush was bad, ive only fished tooth once in winter and had some good gator action

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I'm looking to expand my horizons this season from the 4 main places I normally head out to.  Fished a couple lakes up that way during open water season and figured there's gotta be some fish in lots of those smaller lakes that may be more accessable for me in during the winter.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:07 PM »
very hard to catch walleye there in the winter, at least for the people i know. seems like a very late evening bite, but again just could be me. best of luck and post results if you go if you dont mind.  Nothing better for me to fish up there with no one else on the ice

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:30 PM »
HGG is quite right about it being tough to find the walleye on most of the lakes.  That being said I have caught a few decent ones in late January and if all else fails you can usually ice gators on tip ups while targeting eyes jigging a little ways away.  Actually, come to think of it a couple of the bigger walleye were caught on 4-6 inch tulibee we had dangling off tip ups.  If your going by sled and have never gone before, be wary of the slush as it'll bury you if your not careful.  I know of more than a few who had troubles in Nopiming last and other years. GL. 

Offline Timmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Hello everybody, just wondering if anybody has tried ice fishing up in the park this winter yet and if so how much ice is on the smaller lakes. Would like to plan my first trip asap, if there was enough ice.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:30 AM »
HGG is quite right about it being tough to find the walleye on most of the lakes.  That being said I have caught a few decent ones in late January and if all else fails you can usually ice gators on tip ups while targeting eyes jigging a little ways away.  Actually, come to think of it a couple of the bigger walleye were caught on 4-6 inch tulibee we had dangling off tip ups.  If your going by sled and have never gone before, be wary of the slush as it'll bury you if your not careful.  I know of more than a few who had troubles in Nopiming last and other years. GL.

Last year was just a terrible year for slush, I talked to a CO, he said he earned his pay one day on Long Lake, a whole family had got stuck in the slush

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Last year was just a terrible year for slush, I talked to a CO, he said he earned his pay one day on Long Lake, a whole family had got stuck in the slush

A little luck was on the family's side.  Quite often you don't see anyone out on some of the lakes for a couple days, mind you I think Long's relatively active.  It's not that the CO's aren't doing rounds it's just such a vast area to cover.

I know Northern Whiteshell last year had a few bad areas too.  Was walking out on one lake in particular and the top crust broke into about 12-18" of slush below... for a second there, even though it was January....   

Blue on this forum got into quite the scary mess last year going Trout fishing if I remember correctly.

Offline simpson boys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:26 PM »
We have fished Gem and Flintstone through holes, you should have a sled. You will need to run and gun between submerged reefs and rises. Slush IS the nemisis. Fishing was good at about  15fow with jigs and minnows. Got a shore lunch and some to take home. Was a good day, but if you feel like you are sinking.....gun it!
a bad day fishing is better than the best day at work..unless you fish for a living.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.