Author Topic: Anyone in MANITOBA have a good place to buy salted Minnows?  (Read 9321 times)

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
Last Friday I went to buy some salted minnows for fishing Saturday, I tried Mannys, there was a note on the door saying that they are closed until January 4th, so no go there.
I hit Sportsmens Esso on the 44 Saturday, they also didn't have regular salted minnows, they did have some Preserved minnows that seemed to work.

Anyone have a good place to buy minnows?

Offline wood99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://i63.tinypic.com/xoeceo.jpg
Re: Anyone in MANITOBA have a good place to buy salted Minnows?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Pro Am tackle has good ones, and had a freezer full of them when I was there Friday.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Bob at proam said he bought enough to last him till spring, supposed to be a shortage again this winter, so if you find some good ones, might be a good idea to stock up

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Bob at proam said he bought enough to last him till spring, supposed to be a shortage again this winter, so if you find some good ones, might be a good idea to stock up

That had been my plan last year, I bought a bunch, it turned out I bought "minnowed salt" instead of "salted minnows" ::).

Where is proam again?

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:45 AM »
That had been my plan last year, I bought a bunch, it turned out I bought "minnowed salt" instead of "salted minnows" ::).

That's the worst! I always crack open the tub to check before I buy

Pro-am is on regent
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=655-1615+Regent+Avenue+West,+Winnipeg,+Manitoba&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.780056,93.164063&ie=UTF8&ll=49.900827,-97.066183&spn=0.016585,0.017166&z=14

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I don't mind quite a bit of salt but it seems these days shiners are wet and mushy and suspended in some sort of salt "brine". Never get salted shiners dry or powdery anymore. Has been said that a deep freeze must be cold enough for storage or the aforementioned will occure. My upright freezer is at -16 if the thermometer is right...and minnows are still soggy :(.

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I don't mind quite a bit of salt but it seems these days shiners are wet and mushy and suspended in some sort of salt "brine". Never get salted shiners dry or powdery anymore. Has been said that a deep freeze must be cold enough for storage or the aforementioned will occur. My upright freezer is at -16 if the thermometer is right...and minnows are still soggy :(.
The salt on the minnows makes it so they don't freeze unless the freezer is super cold. Just as salt melts snow and ice when it's super cold outside.

Salt depresses the freezing point of water to a much lower temperature below zero, so all the water in the minnows is not freezing

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I add pickling salt to them ( not regular salt ), seems to hold them together better and you can refreeze them and they are still good .I normally end up using a whole tub up instead of throwing them in the hole ............cheap chum .But you're right the salted minnows of the past are just that , i guess they figured out how to make us buy more ? quantity instead of quality !!
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:54 PM »
I do the same with my minnows, re-salting my own that is. Just make sure & try get as much liquid out as you can before adding any more salt. I find it actually firms up minnows that may be somewhat soft. I find you don't even have to re-freeze them if you don't want to......they'll stay good in a fridge or leave outside.
One thing I have changed recently that seems to work great too is the type of salt I'm using. I've switched over to Sea Salt as it seems to work even better than Pickling. Even better, it's WAY cheaper.....Dollarama.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:55 PM »
O yeah......Bob at Pro Am has VERY NICE Salties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:00 PM »
used Pro Am's minnows today they were nice and firm not soft at all, picked up some of manny's live baits minnows in Selkirk tonight, give those a try when the other tub is done tomorrow

Offline mcp1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Do you guys find that the minnows maintain their colour when you re-salt after use? Any leftovers I have usually end up getting discarded after one or two trips tops. Is re-salting a viable salvage method? The only use I've had for leftover minnows so far is using the heads and guts for meat puppets...

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:40 AM »
I don't mind quite a bit of salt but it seems these days shiners are wet and mushy and suspended in some sort of salt "brine". Never get salted shiners dry or powdery anymore. Has been said that a deep freeze must be cold enough for storage or the aforementioned will occure. My upright freezer is at -16 if the thermometer is right...and minnows are still soggy :(.

FF
Wholesale had some heavily salted tubs today. Seemed to be a dry powdery mix! Didn't grab any, was heading to stock up a Pro Am judging from previous posts

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Do you guys find that the minnows maintain their colour when you re-salt after use? Any leftovers I have usually end up getting discarded after one or two trips tops. Is re-salting a viable salvage method? The only use I've had for leftover minnows so far is using the heads and guts for meat puppets...

Yes, they will discolor after a while but I found mine lasted more than one or two trips. Maybe it was just the minnows I was using???????
At the end of last ice fishing I started using Fresh minnows instead of one that were already salted; worked EXCELLENT. They lasted longer before the discolored & were they ever nice & firm. Used Northern Lites Fresh minnows from Pro Am. Never went back to re-salting Salted ones after that even though I found more salties after that. Thaw, drain all liquid & re-salt.
Don't use them (Fresh or Salted) before you re-salt them as they will start going soft before you even get to re-salt them.

Offline mcp1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:14 AM »
So fresh or frozen change the salt out right after purchase?

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:56 AM »
That's what I was doing, with both Fresh & Salted. That way they don't get any mushier before you re-salt them.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:09 AM »

FF

I agree lots of salt is good, BUT, I want more then 12 minnows in that tub too.
I have found that Clark's corner in Powerview has good salted minnows, problem is, its the last place before Bisset, so if they don't have stock your not going to have any bait.

Offline MIOVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:23 AM »
 After a day on the ice, I'll put my left over minnows in some sawdust shake them up and re freeze. The sawdust keeps them firm and no discoloring,they will last a good 6 months or longer. Sometimes I will even put some blood from cleaning fish in with them to get a good scent on them, pike blood seems to work the best
Go hard or go home

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
starfish tackle

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:36 PM »
What I do is find good none salted minnows, thaw them then salt them with course pickling salt, They look better and because many suppliers put 40% salt in the tub  :P you get more bang for your buck.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Every year it seems to be the same with poor quality or lack of quantity. Tempting to trap your own minnows then salt and freeze them yourself.

Offline thebigfresh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:52 AM »
If your fishing brings you to Westman, Brandon has bait at HomeHardware on 18th st, the co-op on Richmond or domo gas on 1st st. They all have salted and non salted as well HH and Domo have live as well. 
"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"
George S. Patton

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:22 PM »
after using up my tub from ProAm i tried the tub i got from petro in selkirk, mannys live baits, not impressed at all....thanks to my bud who was in the peg and stocked up at ProAm for me

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:51 PM »
 Definitely Pro Am. Stocked up today. You can actually see the tub is crammed full of minnows (not salt).   :icefish:  zeus.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Definitely Pro Am. Stocked up today. You can actually see the tub is crammed full of minnows (not salt).   :icefish:  J.
The ones i got from Bob look supurb.I hope that the fishies have a very hungry appetite for them tomorrow ;D ;D

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Stopped in at Starfish on the way because my buddy needed some new minnows. They had a choice of 4 brands. I already got my case of Northern Lites over a month ago so the only thing I bought was a few more blue (true story) SUPER GLOW red eye jigs....the same one that worked so well today.
No...I'm sorry...I'm not sharing my cache of minnows but I do owe my fall fishing buddy a tub of shiny salties  ;D I also have a few "secret"   ;) fall fishing lures for him too  :)
BTW: does everyone here like homemade Sinnamon (correct spelling) buns....the kind where people line up outside the bakery before it opens in the morning....just wondering?
Might have a business proposition for my buddy's retirement days  :thumbsup: :D :clap: :roflmao: >:D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline gillishammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:51 AM »
Mmmm cinnamon buns,eatn in the shack with salty fingers from pro-am minnows lolol
GILLISHAMMER

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:46 AM »
Mmmm cinnamon buns,eatn in the shack with salty fingers from pro-am minnows lolol
:thumbsup: :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: :roflmao:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:53 PM »
The ones i got from Bob look supurb.I hope that the fishies have a very hungry appetite for them tomorrow ;D ;D
  Fishies cooperated today 8) 8) Sadly no greens but will be hitting Pro am later this week for a few more tubs.Good sized minnows and very firm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.