Author Topic: Crazy Question about Crayfish  (Read 11812 times)

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crazy Question about Crayfish
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2010, 04:57 PM »

So with that said.....let's protect our fisheries and listen to those biologists and scientists that are warning us about this IMPENDING invasion.
Also, shame on the Province for putting out a condensed version of the Fishing Guide  >:(
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

I appreciate your insight and candor (by the way the pen name comes from my weapon of choice not the conditions ;D)

But I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

Lets use just Falcon lake as an example for this discussion. The Rusty's have been found there. And from everthing that is written about them they will multiply take over from the native species and greatly effect the ecosystem possibly wiping out other species in the process.

So the solution the biologists and scientists that you put your faith in, have undertaken ....is to do nothing give up walk away..... something about that doesn't sit right with me :-\

As I have mentioned earlyer in this post I found (quite easily, an actual case study done on a lake in northern Wisconsin were just by allowing traps to harvest the adult (breeding population) and leaving the juveniles to the naturally existing predatory fish. In the first year they were able to have a noticeable drop in rusty population. By releasing any adult native crayfish back while removing the Rusty's they also were able to reestablish the population that the Rusty's had eliminated. The paper lays out a 3 year program that would go far towards returning the lake to its natural healthy state.

I would suggest this would be something that would be a better solution for a lake like Falcon. Harvest them for food. Promote the predatory fish that would consume the young and give the norther crayfish a chance to reestablish themselves.

Hidding from or ignoring any problem will not make it go away ;D
If you believe you can.....or believe you can't....
Your right

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2010, 05:36 PM »
I appreciate your insight and candor (by the way the pen name comes from my weapon of choice not the conditions ;D)

But I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

Lets use just Falcon lake as an example for this discussion. The Rusty's have been found there. And from everthing that is written about them they will multiply take over from the native species and greatly effect the ecosystem possibly wiping out other species in the process.

So the solution the biologists and scientists that you put your faith in, have undertaken ....is to do nothing give up walk away..... something about that doesn't sit right with me :-\

As I have mentioned earlyer in this post I found (quite easily, an actual case study done on a lake in northern Wisconsin were just by allowing traps to harvest the adult (breeding population) and leaving the juveniles to the naturally existing predatory fish. In the first year they were able to have a noticeable drop in rusty population. By releasing any adult native crayfish back while removing the Rusty's they also were able to reestablish the population that the Rusty's had eliminated. The paper lays out a 3 year program that would go far towards returning the lake to its natural healthy state.

I would suggest this would be something that would be a better solution for a lake like Falcon. Harvest them for food. Promote the predatory fish that would consume the young and give the norther crayfish a chance to reestablish themselves.

Hidding from or ignoring any problem will not make it go away ;D
I agree with you UGLY ICE...there is ALWAYS a solution......but as we all know....the bureaucratic wheels of government are ALWAYS slow to begin with any new project. They need grease (money) to grease the wheels. My view of Government is twofold.....I'm sorry to those who work there but it's either  "make work projects" that someone initiates to keep themselves employed (contract extensions) or drag their feet with insurmountable red tape. I have a friend that played that game for many years here in Manitoba. When I visited his office....at the DNR......I was shocked by what I saw and overheard. My friend gave up his "prissy" position to get into private practice only to be defeated by same political/government red tape.
It's a nasty revolving wheel to deal with. Anyways I'm sorry for getting a little off topic but I for one don't see any change in the way things are done.....S-L-O-W!
I encourage you to continue your quest into this matter.....show your findings to those in power, approach the MWF. Only with good science and backed by numbers will those in power even listen to a group.
I've had success as President of a Wildlife Association in getting changes made in regards to hunting with the help of the Manitoba Wildlife Federation working with the Government in power at the time. Get the MWF onboard....THEY will listen. Good Luck  :)
BTW I didn't get the reference of "Ugly Ice" to a "weapon of choice"  ???
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:52 PM »

BTW I didn't get the reference of "Ugly Ice" to a "weapon of choice"  ???
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Ugly Stick..... Ugly Ice.....
I have a preference for Shakespeare fishing equipment(rod and reel combo sold under the moniker "ugly ice")....sorry didn't think I was that deep with that name....just had to think of something when i signed in.

All this has sparked  a fire in me ..... I have never fished Falcon.....spent a drunken night there back in the 80's.................????????

But I think it would be the perfect lake to show everyone that we need to protect what we have. not leave it to the government to decide ....but to stand up and be a proactive in this cause... For those of you who want a voice....you can change the world around you.

You could apply this same philosophy to the post about permanent shelters on the red...... a bunch  of messy...ignorant ...a$$holes ruin it for all (FYI never ice fished on the red, never saw the point when in 30min I was on the big lake)

If we sit back and be voiceless............. .....soon we will be fishing in our bathtub ;D
Your right

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #33 on: Mar 19, 2010, 06:26 AM »
Good name  ;D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Eskiman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2010, 08:01 AM »
It's quite refreshing to see two people (Ugly and Blue) who can express their different views and brainstorm ideas to make something better rather than just stand on their side of the line and name call anyone who disagrees with them.  Good on you guys.
If I was a fish, I'd hate me to.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Ugly Ice, your funny ;D, you started this thread asking "why can we not keep crayfish?" and have now become a proponent of saving our ecosystem by targeting the invasive species.
I think you have a really good point on not sitting back and just allowing the lakes that already have these fish to be over run, and just try to stop them from spreading by not catching them.

I don't think I would have ever gone out to target crayfish before, but now, if the regulations would change, I think I would buy a trap to "do my part".

Keep up doing what your doing, like Ron said, it could be a long and slow process, but I think you could make a difference.

Offline Ugly Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I appreciate the support. And I will keep all informed.

As for my initial post inquiring about crayfish it came about only because a slow day on the lake had me reading my (condensed) guide.

To be totally honest I had not been aware of the total ban. I had never used crayfish for bait so that never came up. But  I have on numerous occasions cooked up a batch of them dipped them in butter and enjoyed myself, any a total ban would provent that from happening. So I guess you could say that at first it was my stomach that lead the protest.

But if anyone takes the time to read up on this subject (lots out there) I think that I would be supported in my position that a different stance should be taken by the authorities. Again I will speak only of Falcon lake, but it seems to me they have doomed it by not acting in a more proactive way. A different approach would, in my opinion, better serve the lake, the people who reside there as well as others who enjoy it recreationally.

That I think would be the best first steps in this, instead of asking anglers to sign a petition (though we will) I would first look to the people around falcon lake, educate them one the subject and get their voices heard, after all it is happening right in their back yard.

So if anybody out there is From the Falcon Lake area, has a cabin or friends out there feel free to contact me if you wish to show support (or if you have opinions to the opposite ::)
Your right

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 20, 2010, 02:51 AM »
It's quite refreshing to see two people (Ugly and Blue) who can express their different views and brainstorm ideas to make something better rather than just stand on their side of the line and name call anyone who disagrees with them.  Good on you guys.
I would have to agree 100%! A couple of members discusing things instead of arguing about it. Very nice for a change.

Offline Wendigo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 20, 2010, 07:08 AM »
I would have to agree 100%! A couple of members discusing things instead of arguing about it. Very nice for a change.

X2 Great Discussion....and thanks for the restaurant tip...heading to Fargo the end of April. :)

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2010, 05:42 PM »
granny's smoked crawdads- i love obscure references!

I think Granny's line was, "Gonna' smoke me up a mess o' crawdads, but first I need a little pot"...  :o!!!

Wendigo, if you go, don't bother with the Cajun Cafe in West Acres (it's just a food court dive)... go to the one at 3902 13th Avenue South, it's worth it when you find it (it's kinda' hidden  ;D).
TC   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.