Author Topic: no drinking  (Read 9634 times)

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
no drinking
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:12 PM »
i heard on the radio today that the police were going around checking ice shacks for alcohol on the red near selkirk. Is it illegal to drink beer in your ice shack even if it is setup for over night stays? i have a 14 foot camper turned into an ice shack. ???

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: no drinking
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:06 PM »
not 100% sure but i would guess that its not legal.....my dad was driving by cil and saw the cops down on the river....im sure they handed out a few tickets today.....lol

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:15 AM »
You can always call and ask, I think the CO and police would rather you ask then write you up.
I think if you have a toliet and a bed you can, but don't take my word for it. Alcohol dehydrates you anyway.

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:37 AM »
the police even caught fisherman with to many lines in the water and fishing with barbed hooks. Don't people know the rules?

Offline GRIM FISHER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:50 AM »

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:19 AM »
dang that suks 2 be you guys!!!! i dont think i could go fishin without havin a drink or 2 or more..........

Offline Big Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To freeze or not To freeze
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:12 PM »
This has a simple answer. Don't flash your mix. A lot of people enjoy a small drink or 2 while ice fishing but for those that are getting s**t faced they need to be caught.  Hide the bottle and be responsible.
"Its not what you do in life, Its how you react to it"
Fishing Terms -  You can fish all you want if you can keep you wife happy.

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:45 PM »
dang that suks 2 be you guys!!!! i dont think i could go fishin without havin a drink or 2 or more..........

Actually, I'd say it sucks to be you... !!!
TC   

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I asked last year and was told you cannot drink in an ice shack no mater what you have,ie.camper toilet,bed,food.You are not renting the space you are on so you cannot drink.In a camp site you are okay because you are renting the site.Thats what the CO's told me.

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Ok then why can you drink on a boat (with a toilet, sleeping facilities) that is moored?

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:55 PM »
we asked that,because the budy has a pontune boat that has a sink and a washroom and it is legal on it.He didn't have an answer for that.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:56 PM »
LCA says that it needs to be moored and used as a dwelling!  So unless you're living on the boat while it's tied to a dock, then you can't consume liquor on the boat!

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:16 AM »
Define "used as a dwelling"? 

What that simply means is that you can live in it for an undetermined period of time.  So that could be one day to one year really.
But what is the difference between some of the high end ice shacks and a houseboat besides one floats slightly better then the other....

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:18 AM »
LCA says that it needs to be moored and used as a dwelling!  So unless you're living on the boat while it's tied to a dock, then you can't consume liquor on the boat!

I think the final word was spoken.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Type of ice shack makes no difference.  It needs to be considered a dwelling.  If I'm spending all day and all night in my Frabil Fortress (set up a cot, slept there overnight) like I did last year on Lake Winnipeg then I was using it as a dwelling place.  I was not simply staying there for a few hours then leaving.  I was "living" there, hence it was my dwelling!

For the record, I did not bring any liquid sleeping aids even though my situation met the legal requirement of the Liquor Control Act.

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2010, 02:18 PM »

It would suck to be u because if the police caught you, u would get fined. You must have lots of $$ to spare.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2010, 02:45 PM »
all of this in the long run is just a huge money scam period. Really, ice shack really. jesus at least nail the people on the road when they are driving..  This is like hunting for grouse in a 4x4 cage... is it wrong to drink in  an ice shack ......in the eyes of the money hungry law it is... but seriously dont the rcmp and c.o.'s have anything better to do. I liked the check stop at chalet the other week. Checked our licences  ok we did have any lines in the water while we were driving the truck but whatever makes them happy, but at least they could tell if we were drinking and driving. checked our fish and away we went. Just be careful of all those ice shacks swerving all over the ice lololol In the long run as long as you have had only 1 or 2 or a DD then who really cares. Go after the punks beating the hell of people in home invasions or the punks stealing peoples property.

All of this    I.M.O. >:(
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:01 PM »
all of this in the long run is just a huge money scam period. Really, ice shack really. jesus at least nail the people on the road when they are driving..  This is like hunting for grouse in a 4x4 cage... is it wrong to drink in  an ice shack ......in the eyes of the money hungry law it is... but seriously dont the rcmp and c.o.'s have anything better to do. I liked the check stop at chalet the other week. Checked our licences  ok we did have any lines in the water while we were driving the truck but whatever makes them happy, but at least they could tell if we were drinking and driving. checked our fish and away we went. Just be careful of all those ice shacks swerving all over the ice lololol In the long run as long as you have had only 1 or 2 or a DD then who really cares. Go after the punks beating the hell of people in home invasions or the punks stealing peoples property.

All of this    I.M.O. >:(

You're wrong plain and simple!  Just like fires don't start big, it's better to catch problems when they are small.  Catch the violator at the start before he/she gets hammered and raises the risk of injury to everyone they may come into contact with!  Four check stops at Chalet Beach last winter got 4 impaired drivers within the first 15 minutes each time.  One of which became a 100 km high speed chase.  Now if this person had been caught on the lake with liquor, he would have been dealt with on the spot before he got hammered and did more stupid things.

One or two beers!  How do we know if that's all a person has had or will have?  Two beers in a short period of time puts most people at borderline .08.  We all know that people generally don't bring one or two beers out there!

And where do people come up with this cash grab thing?  How does a few $100 fines get considered a money grab?

Consuming liquor in fishing shacks, public places, vehicles...it's all illegal so get over it!

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:06 PM »
It would suck to be u because if the police caught you, u would get fined. You must have lots of $$ to spare.

Maybe you ought to check just where the author of that post lives :o :o :o :o

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Maybe you ought to check just where the author of that post lives :o :o :o :o

Indiana :)

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Type of ice shack makes no difference.  It needs to be considered a dwelling.  If I'm spending all day and all night in my Frabil Fortress (set up a cot, slept there overnight) like I did last year on Lake Winnipeg then I was using it as a dwelling place.  I was not simply staying there for a few hours then leaving.  I was "living" there, hence it was my dwelling!

For the record, I did not bring any liquid sleeping aids even though my situation met the legal requirement of the Liquor Control Act.

This is beginning to look like the posts on another site. ;D ;D

Quote by Gatorhunter!!!!!
Consuming liquor in fishing shacks, public places, vehicles...it's all illegal so get over it!.

I am very confused by the above statements. Who decides how long the fishing shack has been occupied, And someones bed could consist of a bench and a really warm set of clothing and a hot fire in the stove.

And for the record. I DON'T DRINK. PERIOD. :icefish:

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:16 PM »
This is beginning to look like the posts on another site. ;D ;D
LOL, at least our thread isn't 13+ pages by now, so dumb. WHo cares if you can't drink. Your out there to fish aren't you?

Offline master instigator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I have seen this topic come up every year, and it's the same old song and dance.  I personally don't know why your not allowed to have a drink on the ice, but at the same time I would hope that when I'm coming off the ice I'm not coming head on to someone pissed to the gills.  There is a lot of talk on the technicalities of why you should or shouldn't be allowed, and what I'm wondering is why I can go to a golf course with a drink in my hand and get stupid on beer, drive around in a golf cart then climb back into my car and drive home.  Not saying it's right, but there is no intension to spend the night there.  I know were there to fish and not drink, but your there to play golf but it's fine to drink.  The point of my story is.....Hum.....What is my point?  I guess it's that there is too much grey areas.
Let's see...Ice shack, auger, snowmobile, rods, flasher, heater...My Walleye averages out to be $67.83 Per Lbs.

Offline roughice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ahh quiet at last
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I guess we can beat this to death either for or against but the reality of it is that we are responsible each and everyone of us for our own actions. If you are against then don't, if you do then please be responsible. Know where you are where others are and your own personal limits. Like it or not we cannot control what others do, it is their choice. Have fun, play safe and keep your lines tight.
Catch and Release...outta the water and into grease ;)

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:50 PM »
So I was not sure myself on the laws so I asked a Liquor Inspector who interoperates, deals with and enforces all these laws on a daily occasion and this is how that went down:

Me:
I was wondering what is the law in Manitoba concerning the consumption of alcoholic beverages on a boat?   Now this boat would be moored and have both sleeping, cooking and washroom facilities onboard if that makes a difference.

Liquor Inspector:
“If it is a boat that you can live in - as you described with a washroom, kitchen and sleeping facilities, and it is moored on a dock, and being used by its owner (or tenant) as a private dwelling - yes, liquor can be consumed.  Once it is in motion, no.  (All liquor would then have to be locked up.)

Good examples are boats that are moored at the Gimli Harbor - most of the owners use them as "cottages".”

Me:
So if this boat (with all the facilities mentioned below) was at the Gimli Harbor right now, frozen in the water and still being used as a private dwelling, could you still consume liquor on board?

Liquor Inspector:
“Yes”

Me:
So by that same note could an Ice Shack that is being used as a cottage (Private Dwelling), with a washroom (porta-potty), kitchen and sleeping facilities (bunk beds) have liquor legally consumed in it?

Liquor Inspector:
“No. The section is specific to boats.” (Referring to the Liquor Control Act)

Me:
So is there any building or structure in which you would be allowed to consume liquor in, on a lake or river in Manitoba? Buildings such as a
Ready to Move Home (RTM) or Motorhome come to mind...

Liquor Inspector:
“Not that I am aware of. We are dealing with a waterway as opposed to land so the legislation is pretty specific.”

Offline master instigator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:31 PM »
So what he's saying is if I put on some pontoons on my ice shack and register it as a boat and put my number on the side of the shack, then go out and get a telephone pole, drill a big hole in the ice, drive it into the bottom and tie my shack to it I'm good to go?  Too much trouble.
Let's see...Ice shack, auger, snowmobile, rods, flasher, heater...My Walleye averages out to be $67.83 Per Lbs.

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:46 PM »
well atleast we all know now. it was a bit of a gray area for me for awhile, i thought it was ok. i just hope everyone remembers to tie a string around there booze before they shovel it down the hole when you see the rcmp coming!!!!!

Offline fishnaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:53 AM »
I beleive the big thing is that your not renting the spot the shack is on. Basically squatting, which is why campsites can have booze beacause your renting the site. Same thing with gimli your renting the spot in the harbor. Now moored at another non rented spot hmm not sure. Buy a chunk of land beside the river, build a little cabin, put out some tip ups or some live minnows on rods. And giver swan river get f'd up

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:37 PM »
But still I think that the RCMP should have better things to do than bug people enjoying the sport of ice fishing, and go after serious crimes, like murder, and assault.  As far as I'm concerned if I am in an ice fishing shack and I have a safe ride home, I should be aloud to drink. This is just another money grab as far as I'm concerned.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.