Author Topic: Line + RoD Combo  (Read 1609 times)

Offline aoyen81

• IceShanty Rookie
Line + RoD Combo
« on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:06 AM »
Hello Everyone :) First post and its probably gonna be a dumb one :) but what the hell... i dont know. I currently have all my jigging poles setup for panfish (2-4lb test Cajun Line) -- I want to take one of them and rig it up for larger fish (ie. Walleye) -- Only problem is i dont know which type of pole works best for this -- i have two poles that are rather stiff and two that are really flexable (2lb test rods) -- does it matter which ones i string up for eye's? And what lb test would you recommend for iced eye's (fairly new to ice fishing -- not sure if setup is similar for open water). Thanks in advance -- Look forward to becoming more involved with the forum.  ;D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: Line + RoD Combo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2006, 02:39 PM »
We don't get into too many eye's here local but we do jig for some bigger fish. I would use one of the stiffer rod's and put maybe 4lb line on it, some will tell you 6lb but just set your drag according to the line. If your weaker rod's are what I think they might be, you probably wouldn't be able to get a very good hook set plus they will bend allot just under the weight of the bigger lures. Thats just my oppinion. Also, welcome aboard newbie :clap:
     Jim

Offline aoyen81

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Line + RoD Combo
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:18 AM »
Thanks for the info -- The stiff rod is my cheaper rod if that makes a difference -- my two flexable rods are both berkly (ones a lightning the other i cant remember the name). I'll give it a try :) hope to get some last minute ice fishing done -- been in the 40-50 range highs this week -- three feet of ice will probably go quick (still refreezes at night -- so who knows :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.