New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Simon Pond/Raquette Pond  (Read 1557 times)

Offline bdub78

• IceShanty Rookie
Simon Pond/Raquette Pond
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Anyone have conditions here?  Looking to get out prior to the challenge...

bdub

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
Re: Simon Pond/Raquette Pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:59 PM »
8" + of good ice on both. was on raquette yesterday, 4 small norhterns and a bass. got some snow cover but mostly drifts, been really windy.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline bdub78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:03 PM »
My brother in law lives there in tupper, but not an icefisher...  Which is the best lake for northerns?  Perch?  Not asking specific spots, I should be able to figure it out, but a body of water sure helps... :)  Do you brave the elements or sit in comfort?  Is the water clear enough for sight fishing from a dark house, the wife likes to do that, so I'm trying to find clearer water for her, the St. Lawrence isn't clear enough for it...

Thanks!!!!

bdub

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Hopefully there is ice, we're heading up there this Thursday night through Sunday.  We fish the Challenge every year too!  I'm in Poughkeepsie and it is just starting to ice up here except for that one day thaw and some rain.  Lets keep our fingers crossed...

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:16 PM »
My brother in law lives there in tupper, but not an icefisher...  Which is the best lake for northerns?  Perch?  Not asking specific spots, I should be able to figure it out, but a body of water sure helps... :)  Do you brave the elements or sit in comfort?  Is the water clear enough for sight fishing from a dark house, the wife likes to do that, so I'm trying to find clearer water for her, the St. Lawrence isn't clear enough for it...

Thanks!!!!

bdub
my personal opinion is they both are about the same, for both species, raquette maybe a little better for the pike. not sure on the site fishing thing. you may want a shack, both lake are very windy when it gets going.
Hopefully there is ice, we're heading up there this Thursday night through Sunday.  We fish the Challenge every year too!  I'm in Poughkeepsie and it is just starting to ice up here except for that one day thaw and some rain.  Lets keep our fingers crossed...
there is plenty of ice, will you be fishing while your here?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:21 PM »
Staying in Indian Lake (tradition) but plan on traveling to Simond for the day to fish some hardwater.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.