New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 118965 times)

Offline fordtrucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #510 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Does anyone know if the bathrooms are open on the state launch? Or are they closed up for the winter?

Offline fellinonce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #511 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:26 AM »
They were open on Sunday
Tap, Tap,.. Cross his eyes!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #512 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Does anyone know if the bathrooms are open on the state launch? Or are they closed up for the winter?
Yes the bathrooms are open and heated.  The state has someone keep the bathrooms cleaned daily.  It is a benefit as part of your taxes if you use them and leave.  It is part of the $6 fee you pay when you enter if your going to park there and stay.  The state also keeps the parking lot plowed the best they can depending on how much snow they get. 

Offline andy95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #513 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Does anyone know what  the link for the weather camera on the lake is or if it is still up?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #514 on: Jan 28, 2021, 11:19 PM »
Does anyone know what  the link for the weather camera on the lake is or if it is still up?
https://www.weatherbug.com/weather-camera/?cam=SLVLM

It is on the South end facing out from Silver Lake Marina

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #515 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:02 PM »
How much snow did the lake get?

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #516 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:53 PM »
So I get to standpipe to go fishing yesterday afternoon and see a cop there? He was talking to a couple people and then talked to a utility truck that was there, meanwhile my wife talked to this older guy asked how the fishing was and he said he wasn't fishing was just on a drive and went right down the hill and onto the ice! Apparently spun a donought and back up the hill and did not break through surprisingly not. So an ambulance came and checked him out not sure what happened with that I was on the ice at that point! I just don't know what he thinking ( he said he thought it was a cow pasture) **censored**!

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #517 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:27 PM »
I would like to know how he got through the cement barriers to get on the ice.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #518 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:09 PM »
I would also like to know how he got his vehicle back up the 12' steep incline back on the road.  He sure did not do it himself.  Must have had a tow tuck?  Anything more to your story :-\ ???

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #519 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:40 AM »
One set of track's was through the cable for in which that's where broke his passenger side mirror and the other set of track's was right over the pipe which is were I think he went down originally he was on top when I got there and I saw no tow truck just a utility truck and a cop and the guy with his truck

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #520 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:24 PM »
No one wants to keep this BS thread going?? ???  I guess the small perch and gills has got everyone disappointed.  Got to be someone catching something.  My bad also, I have been down on Chautuaqua for the last 3 weekends, but next week I'll be back I hope.  Can't be too confident.  Lets hear some stories, snow, slush, ice, fish.

Offline WNYiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #521 on: Feb 14, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Was out this morning for a little bit, more of the same as far as perch buncha 6"-8"ers and a short crappie. Still was a beautiful morning to be out.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #522 on: Feb 14, 2021, 04:45 PM »
I had the same luck with the 6-8" perch.  Fished out of the State Launch out towards 30 fow and then back along the shore in front of the camp.  Lots of walking and drilling but what a beautiful day.  Shocking to see so few people out on the South end.  Also hit up the bait shop on west lake as I forgot my bait at the house, spikes were lively and effective!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline WNYiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #523 on: Feb 14, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I had the same luck with the 6-8" perch.  Fished out of the State Launch out towards 30 fow and then back along the shore in front of the camp.  Lots of walking and drilling but what a beautiful day.  Shocking to see so few people out on the South end.  Also hit up the bait shop on west lake as I forgot my bait at the house, spikes were lively and effective!

I was on the north side today, similar FOW. There was roughly 7 huts that I could see before I left at approx 1030(only had a few hrs) and passed a gentleman on the way out, I thought there would have been more as well. His spikes all season have been like that, its awesome!

Offline Mytipupisbiggerthanyours

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #524 on: Feb 14, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Lake has been beat to hell the past few years. Not surprised people moved on. That’s the silver lake cycle. Pike fishing is slow, perch and crappie are running undersize. There’s been a lot of pike tournaments the past 4 years now and it’s gotten a lot of exposure on social media. In a year or 2 perch and crappie sizes will increase, people will pound the lake again and we will be back to where we are now. It’s how this lake has been for the last 10 years now. Not hating on anyone or complaining, it’s just the way this lake goes.

Offline HardwaterQueen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #525 on: Feb 16, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Hi All,

I haven’t been to Silver since I was a kid, and decided to venture there this weekend for a change in scenery and some good cheese.

Navionics doesn’t have much marked for structure, and the Lake seems to be very deep— so just find a suitable depth, pray to the fish Gods, and Jig until my arm falls off?

I don’t typically like fishing deeper than 20’ because I just take pics and send the fish back, so is that a good place to start?

I’m not asking for your spots, just a good depth to set tip-ups and catch some pan fish. Always happy to help anglers get on fish at my home lakes— so I thought I’d seek your expert opinion.  I’m unfortunately accustomed to not catching fish but still enjoying the outdoors, so if you don’t have any advice, it’s no skin off my back.  ;)

Tight Lines!

Offline conesusguysouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:14 AM »
best place to start would be off the state launch at the south west end. easy access to fishable waters. you can have a good day or a slow day there depending on if the fish are around. perch, bluegill, and pike with occasional bass can be caught. tight lines

Offline HardwaterQueen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #527 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:22 AM »
best place to start would be off the state launch at the south west end. easy access to fishable waters. you can have a good day or a slow day there depending on if the fish are around. perch, bluegill, and pike with occasional bass can be caught. tight lines

Thank you!! I appreciate it!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:58 PM »
If any of you Silver lake guys see a nut out there in a golf cart tomorrow off the state launch, stop by and say hi. Always looking forward to meeting other shanty members. I've got aggressive atv tires on it and get around great at camp. Probably going to need chains for some conditions, at camp I can burn down to the gravel roads. Ice will be different. Time will tell.
I have walking issues and just got my OPDMD permit from the state. I'm good to go out of the park launch.
Hope to see you.

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #529 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:18 AM »
I get away from the B.S. by putting my ate trailer on the launch and pushing it on the ice . No difference from launching a boat just 1goesin the water and 1 goes on the water . Know New York State law says you can't have a snowmobile or atv on the ice as long as you have helmet,insurance registration and a rigid bar so if you stop the stuff your towing will not hit the back of you. Been there ,Fought that and one. :callcops: :cookoo:
McPerch

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #530 on: Feb 19, 2021, 12:36 PM »
The cart didn't work as great as I hoped. The snow depth wasn't the problem, we made it out 50 yards before the hard pack trail gave out, but its sandy texture. The tractor cleat tires just burned through to ice, from there it was over. At camp, I'd hit gravel and go. Getting chains. I know an ATV would be better, but I can't afford one right now and I can pack a bunch of gear and a couple people on it too.

PS Fishing was slooooow.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #531 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:34 PM »
It looks nice though.  Does that have four wheel drive?   Definitely need chains.

Offline conesusguysouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #532 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:56 PM »
cool man neat rig

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #533 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:58 PM »
It looks nice though.  Does that have four wheel drive?   Definitely need chains.
No, just the stock open differential. My cart guy is gettin me a posi third member. Just starting the mods to increase performance.
It does well in river bottom mud for deer season. Just have to get it dialed in for ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #534 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Silver did not get the snow that WNY did today, only another inch or two.  We stopped at the South-end state launch first to take a look and 4-wheelers today had some trouble with the slush but snow machines were moving ok.  We moved up the lake and fished out from the Red Caboose.  Parked on the East side and walked across.  6" of snow with 4" of slush which makes a tough walk and drag if you pull directly on the snow.  I use a Smitty sled and the drag was good, but the walk through the slush is still tough.  14" of ice with 10" of dark and 4" of white.  The fish were under us all day but the bite was on and off, caught quit a few but only kept (10) 8-9" perch threw anyone less then that back.  Not worth cleaning a perch less then 8".   Tried spikes, mousees, perch eyes and maxi-plastics with grubs.  Maxi-plastics caught the most.   I will be back again.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #535 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:22 AM »

Great day too be out fishing. A bit windy. Caught the typical Silver lake perch. Kept a few for dinner.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #536 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Nice catch Riddle.  How was the slush? Doesn’t look bad in pic

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #537 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Not bad at all. I was almost midlake. With  March on the way, I will be targeting the pike.  :tipup:

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #538 on: Jan 07, 2022, 11:15 AM »
I was looking at the map the other day and it looks like there is a new place operating out of where Mack's used to be.  Anybody have any info on it?  Didn't have much of a website yet that I could find.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #539 on: Jan 07, 2022, 11:34 AM »
I was looking at the map the other day and it looks like there is a new place operating out of where Mack's used to be.  Anybody have any info on it?  Didn't have much of a website yet that I could find.
  Restaurant was open briefly this summer. It was only open a few days a week (mostly weekends) with limited hours. Didn't last long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.