Author Topic: What does snow do to ice?  (Read 21905 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
What does snow do to ice?
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:19 PM »
We've had about 4" to 5" of clear ice and the day & night time temps have been below freezing for the last 2 weeks. The temps are supposed to stay below freezing for the next 10 days.

Normally, I'd say that the ice is going to continue to increase (grow) in thickness. However, we've just got about 4" of snow on top of the ice.

Will the snow maintain the ice's thickness or will it insulate and cause the ice to melt?
What's the snow's effect on ice?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Anything worth shooting, is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap and life is expensive. - USMC

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What does snow do to ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Snow will not cause the ice to melt.........however if there is over say 6 or more inches of snow on the ice it will somewhat insulate the ice causing it to not thicken as quick as if it was bare ice........will still make ice but just at a slightly slower rate...... 

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Snow will not cause the ice to melt.........however if there is over say 6 or more inches of snow on the ice it will somewhat insulate the ice causing it to not thicken as quick as if it was bare ice........will still make ice but just at a slightly slower rate...... 
I'll be more dramatic: unless it's very cold, the ice will thicken MUCH slower. It may not thicken unless the temps drop below 20*f or lower. Snow is a GREAT insulator. Pray for one or two days of high winds to blow most of it off.  The weight of it will also push the ice down enough to bring water on top of the ice, causing slush problems
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I'll be more dramatic: unless it's very cold, the ice will thicken MUCH slower. It may not thicken unless the temps drop below 20*f or lower. Snow is a GREAT insulator. Pray for one or two days of high winds to blow most of it off.  The weight of it will also push the ice down enough to bring water on top of the ice, causing slush problems

If the ice and snow mix to create more ice, it won't be as strong as the good solid clear ice.

Be safe and stay on top.

Wiener

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Agree with all.  The snow shouldn't negatively effect it...unless

Your fishing on a small pond with active springs.  Spring water is 55 deg F  It can insulate the warm water and reduce the ice.  This happened to one of the ponds I fish.  It is a really small pond, 1/8 acre.  The ice decreased from 5 to 2 inches in a couple of days.

In general, I like a layer of snow.  As long as your starting with a good amount of Ice it will help insulate it from sunlight and warm days, plus your not slipping and falling if you don't have traction aids. 

As always, be careful.  Good luck
I'm cold and I like it

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:26 PM »
How's this for a negative impact - Buddy put his plow truck through the ice last Monday on Lake of the Woods about 20' from shore.
14" of ice and more all over the lake EXCEPT the bay in front of his place where snow had been accumulating. We've had -20 temps for weeks and hit -35 for a while in December. Still managed to only make 4" ice where he went through. People just don't believe how well snow insulates.
Ask someone with a septic bed or shallow water lines how excited they are when snowmobilers travel across their property and pack down the insulating cover of snow >:(

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:18 PM »
we have plenty of places 6in plus   most with more

lows reaching down to 5º-10ºf
tomorrow high 25º low 5º-10ºf

hopefully this snow wont hurt my local res / lakes / ponds too much =/
Danbury: 23.9 inches of snow
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:49 PM »
I like snow on top of my roof.  It helps to insulate the house.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:43 PM »

much agreed
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline Chas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:28 PM »
I don't like more snow than the wife is willing to shovel... ;D

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:29 PM »
as stated before, it will slow down the ice making process.  you stated you had 4-5 of clear ice a couple weeks ago, and it has been pretty cold, so ice is more like 6-7 now.  and then you got the snow.  that sounds perfect to me.    good clear 7 inch ice is enough for a wheeler, and the snow should provide a little traction if walking.  i love snow on the ice when walking around.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:05 AM »
also cuts down on the light getting to the water
dr.bennett's report states only 1-3% of light through 5in snow over 3in ice
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:58 PM »
It makes it hard to see. ::)
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline monsterwalleyefishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:21 AM »
how does snow insulate ice so htat it doesn't make good ice. the temperature it is insulating is the temperature of the ice. so lets say  the ice is 32*, then its 20 degrees out. so lets say the temp balances inbetween the two temps. that will still make good ice. tell me how i'm wrong

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:52 PM »
how does snow insulate ice so htat it doesn't make good ice. the temperature it is insulating is the temperature of the ice. so lets say  the ice is 32*, then its 20 degrees out. so lets say the temp balances inbetween the two temps. that will still make good ice. tell me how i'm wrong

The water under the ice is not frozen, so it is obviously warmer than 32 degrees.  The air above the snow is colder than 32 degrees.  The snow insulates the ice from the air, slowing ice formation.  Ice will still form under snow, just at a much slower rate.  The insulation will also magnify the effect of any current present, allowing the ice to get thinner, sometimes dramatically so.  I wouldn't say that you couldn't have good ice forming with a layer of snow, but I would say that good ice forms much quicker without the snow.  When you get into the far north, the snow build-up on top of the ice frequently leads to slush.  (Water overflows onto the ice because of the weight of the snow pushing down.)  When this happens, you get no ice formation until the slush freezes.  I have seen slush on the ice after a week of -30 degree weather, so that is water on top of the ice and under the snow, trapped between 2 things that are a minimum of -32.  Snow is a very good insulator.  Stay Safe!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Here's an example of how well snow insulates. Yesterday I fished a lake that has been frozen awhile. It was less than ten degrees when I arrived and never got warmer than 22. It hadn't been above freezing for a couple days, and lows were in the teens. Despite all that, there was still water trapped between the packed down snow (a few in. which was crunchy on top) and the ice which was mostly 5-6in. or so. We are finally going to get ice here in the South, but if it snows any real amount, (Fri.) it could well screw our chances of  having any kind of season down here.  :(

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:08 PM »
snow really makes a amazing difference ,i have seen it not make any ice at all with 4in clear 20 degrees and 5-6 in of snow.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:52 PM »
reverse engineering young man its not the ice temps but the water temps ice grows from the bottom and melts from the top and bottom,as the snow increases the heat transfer from the water to the ice to the air is impeded so it either stops freezin or melts
just saying and stayed at a holiday innn expreesss lol
GOD BLESS YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:14 PM »
In addition the impact it has on the ice conditions it just makes walking on the ice that much harder. I hate it!
:icefish:

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:07 PM »
reverse engineering young man its not the ice temps but the water temps ice grows from the bottom and melts from the top and bottom,as the snow increases the heat transfer from the water to the ice to the air is impeded so it either stops freezin or melts
GOD BLESS YOU
mo

Thank you. I was waiting for the one person to talk about how ice forms and thickens from the bottom and NOT the top.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:26 PM »
GOD BLESS YOU
mo

The first time I read this I thought "Hunhh?!?!"

After I read it a couple more times, I started to see what you were saying.  It is natural to think of cold, getting cold, and freezing as a positive process.  As you have stated, it is actually the removal of heat, not the addition of cold that best describes the actual process.  The only point I would disagree on is "its not the ice temps but the water temp".  Under the ice, the water temperatures are fairly constant, varying from 32 degrees up to about 37 degrees (at 37 degrees, water is at its most dense, so that is the usual temperature at the bottom of a lake in the winter.  This assumes no springs and minimal current)  Air, snow and ice all have the potential to be colder than 32 degrees, fresh water does not.  As the temperature of the ice is cooled by the air, the water next to the ice freezes.  The blanket of snow is just that, an insulating blanket.  Under the ice, the water is always warmer than the ice, always trying to melt it.  The air must be significantly colder than the water in order to remove enough heat from the water to cause it to freeze. 

Not surprisingly, it seems to be much more difficult to put my thoughts into a clear, concise, orderly statement than it was to think the up the definitive response in my head.  After reading what I have written, I am pretty sure I didn't succeed.  Oh well.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.